Dell E E197FP 19" LCD Monitor Reviews

Dell E E197FP 19" LCD Monitor

Dell E197FP (Black) LCD Monitor

Aug 4, 2007 (Updated Aug 27, 2007)

Pros:Crisp Colors and 8ms response time

Cons:None

The Bottom Line: This is a great monitor and I would definitely recommend it to everyone

I recently had to look for a replacement for my son's computer monitor, he had a old 17" CRT and we wanted to find a flat panel monitor to better fit on his small computer desk. A couple of months ago I setup several workstations at work and they all came with Dell 19" flat panel monitors and I really liked them, so I decided to order one for our home computer. This allowed us to give our son our old Dell 1705 Ultrasharp 17" flat panel for his computer.

The model we got was the Dell E197FP 19" Flat Panel monitor. This model is pretty much a very basic flat panel monitor without a lot of the bells and whistles that can be found on much higher end models sold by Dell. Even though it is a basic monitor it still provides a quality display for what we needed it for. We don't do a lot with our home computer except for email, surfing the web and occasional game, we really didn't need to buy one of the higher end Dell flat panel monitor.

Unpacking and Installation

There was some assembly required, the monitor panel and base were packed separate to cut down on packaging. The base has a special mounting bracket attached to at the top of it and snaps into an opening on the back of the monitor panel. There is a button just below where the base snaps in to release the mounting bracket so it can be disassembled easily. The monitor included a driver CD just in case it was needed, but Windows XP was able to load the necessary driver and we didn't need to use the CD. Like all Dell peripherals the monitor came with a large poster size instruction sheet to help explain how to hookup the monitor to your computer. The only other things that were in the box was the power cord and the SVGA cable.

Once I had it all hooked up to the computer and turned on the monitor and computer the monitor immediately performed an automatic adjustment procedure and it setup all of the settings according to your video card settings.

The optimum resolution setting for this 19" monitor is 1280 x 1024 and I highly recommend you leave it at that setting for the best picture.

The monitor has a built-in OSD or Onscreen Display to help you make changes to the display characteristics if you need to make changes to things like screen size or brightness settings.

Appearance

The Dell E197FP 19" Flat Panel has a very thin black bezel that surrounds the entire screen and it enhances your viewing experience of the monitor. Dell has changed standard shape of its bases to the v-shape. The overall size and weight of the monitor is 16.2 H X 15.8" W X 5.7"D and weighs a mere 9 lb.

Details

Dot Pitch: 29mm
DB15 (SVGA) connector
No DVI connector

My Final Thoughts

This has turned out to be a great purchase for us, we love the larger screen size and it really has impressed us. One of the biggest differences we noticed is that fact that the Dell E197FP is not quite so bright like our Dell 1705 UltraSharp 17" Flat Panel. The first test was how it handled a few of the games we like to play; Sid Meier's Railroad and Battlefield 2. We wanted to be sure we wouldn't have to worry about ghosting as the cursor moved across the screen or as the scenes changed. We were pleasantly surprised that the 8ms refresh rate made for seemless screen movements.

The second test was how well it renders web pages as my wife and I surf quite a lot. We use the native 1280 x 1024 resolution and all of the web pages we visit seem to look great. The screen images are very crisp and clear and the colors seem to be very accurate. We haven't had to use the OSD (On Screen Display) as of yet since the auto adjust feature adjusted everything perfectly. But the Dell OSD menu is very easy to use and the buttons are easy to find at the bottom of the monitor.

Some people might consider the fact that we had to assemble the monitor a bit of a negative, but we had to do it with our old Dell 1705 monitor.

I would definitely recommend this monitor to everyone that might be looking for a replacement for an older 17" LCD or a 19" CRT.

Operating System: Windows

Dell E1913S 19in. LED LCD Monitor - 5:4 - 5 ms

Dell E1913S 19in. LED LCD Monitor - 5:4 - 5 ms

Brighten your view of day-to-day business Meet your everyday business needs with the reliable and efficient DellTM E1913S monitor, offering the essent...
Office Depot

Dell E1913S Black 19 5ms LED Backlight LCD Monitor

Dell E1913S Black 19 5ms LED Backlight LCD Monitor

D-Sub 1 DVI No Stand Adjustments Swivel & Tilt Built-in TV Tuner No Built-in Speakers No Recommended Resolution 1280 x 1024 Pixel Pitch 0.294mm Displa...

Dell E Series E1913S 19-Inch Monitor with LED Screen

Dell E Series E1913S 19-Inch Monitor with LED Screen

Enjoy crisp, colorful images: Work comes into focus with crystal-clear 1280 x 1024 at 60Hz HD resolution, while a deep palate of 16.7 million colors a...
Dell ST2421L Black 24 5ms LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor

Dell ST2421L Black 24 5ms LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor

D-Sub 1 DVI 1 Stand Adjustments Tilt Built-in TV Tuner No Built-in Speakers No HDCP Support Yes Recommended Resolution 1920 x 1080 Pixel Pitch 0.277mm

ASUS VS197D-P VS197D-P - LED monitor - 18.5

ASUS VS197D-P VS197D-P - LED monitor - 18.5

ASUS VS197D-P - LED monitor - 18.5 - 1366 x 768 - 250 cd/m2 - 50000000:1 (dynamic) - 5 ms - VGA - black
PCM

Dell E2215HV 21.5 LED LCD Monitor - 16:9 - 5 ms

Dell E2215HV 21.5 LED LCD Monitor - 16:9 - 5 ms

See what you're doing crisply and clearly on the Dell 22 Full HD LED Monitor.

Dell 27 U2713HM LED Monitor

Dell 27 U2713HM LED Monitor

Dell UltraSharp U2713HM - LED monitor - 27 - 2560 x 1440 - 350 cd/m2 - 1000:1 - 2000000:1 (dynamic) - 8 ms - HDMI, DVI-D, VGA, DisplayPort

VS197D-P Widescreen LCD Monitor

VS197D-P Widescreen LCD Monitor

Asus VS197D-P 19 LED LCD Monitor - 16:9 - 5 ms
Dell 320-9801 24 S2440L Widescreen LED Monitor

Dell 320-9801 24 S2440L Widescreen LED Monitor

Dive into brilliance with the distinctive S2440L 24 monitor featuring ultra-wide viewing edge-to-edge glass and our Image Enhance feature.
MacMall