Delta Platinum Limited Edition 10" Contractor's Saw 36-477

Delta 10" Contractors Saw

Aug 26, 2002

Pros:Unifence. Included Delta 36-205 Sliding Miter Jig. Very solid.

Cons:Poor assembly manual. Motor mount should be re-designed.

The Bottom Line: I love this saw. I have not seen a better performer in its class. I highly recommend it.

This is an excellent table saw and I would not hesitate to purchase it again. It came highly recommended by a friend, and I am 100% happy with its performance. But Delta really needs to improve their documentation.

There is some confusion as to the exact model of the saw. Delta has basic levels of saw from Professional to Contractors to Cabinet. The saw I purchased is the Contractors saw with a 30" rip capacity, 30" Unifence system, and a Delta 36-205 Sliding Miter Jig.

I started my quest for a new table saw when I purchased a Dado blade for my bench saw and it would not fit on the arbor. Prior to my Delta, I owned an inexpensive Skil bench saw and I simply outgrew it. I'm building larger projects, and need the table area and the power that the Delta provides.

I was torn between a Ridgid saw and the Delta. Despite the nearly $300 price difference, the Delta really impressed me with the Unifence and the included Sliding Miter Jig. Without the Miter Jig, I probably would have not purchased the saw, but the combination of the Unifence and the extra miter jig pushed me to drop the extra $300 for the Delta.

Out of the Box
It comes in 4 or 5 separate boxes that contain the Unifence kit, the base, the laminated extension wing, the cast-iron left extension wing, and other parts. You will definitely need someone to help carry. It pays to layout all the parts ahead of time because each "kit" (saw, fence, extension) has its own set of parts and you do not want to get them mixed up.

Manual
My biggest complaint is the manual. While researching for saws, I was extremely impressed with Ridgid because they had all their manuals online in PDF format. I could review the saw in detail before purchasing. The Ridgid manual was formatted very professionally and well written. In contrast, the Delta manual is technically accurate, but lacks the presentation. The manuals are not available online, and each separate manual has its own look and feel.

Additionally, the manual is poorly written. The consistent part names are not used through the manual, warnings are not placed out of order, and steps are left out. For example, one step of the manual refers to "2 inch screws" while another step refers to the same part as "2 inch long screws". A minor difference, but it caused me to second-guess if I used the right part. Another section of the manual warned about over-tightening the wood screws, three steps after the table legs were fastened with wood screws. Finally, many steps tell you to not fully tighten the bolts, but never actually tell you when it is ok to fully tighten them.

Assembly
The assembly was not difficult; it just took a long time. I blame part of it on the manual, but I do like to take my time with assembly. My only complaint with the assembly is the motor mount.

The motor attached to the saw by first attaching it to a metal plate with 4 bolts. Sandwiched between the motor and the plate is a thin metal belt guard. This whole assembly is then hinged to the saw with 2 metal pins. The motor pulley must be parallel with the blade pulley to reduce belt wear. The alignment is adjusted by sliding the motor side-to-side on the mount. Additionally, the pulley guard must also be aligned so that the belt does not contact the guard. These are two independent adjustments that have to be made with the same fasteners. Because of the weight of the motor, adjusting one tends to throw the other one out of alignment.

Unifence
The Unifence is my favorite part of the saw. I did a lot of research to determine whether to buy the Unifence or the Biesemeyer. I liked the feel of the Unifence and found other Unifence attachments such as the Uni-T-Fence.

I was concerned about being able to clamp sacrificial fences to the Unifence because of the shape of the fence. I found that a 2x2 fits nicely in the curved area behind the fence and provides a solid surface to clamp to. Holes could be drilled into the fence to attach a sacrificial fence using screws, but clamping provides enough clearance for milling rabbets.

Miter Gauge
The miter gauge is nice. The Miter slot is a T track and the miter gauge has the corresponding flanges to lock into the slot properly. There are positive stops at 90 degrees and 45 degrees and are adjusted by hex screws. I have attached an additional block of wood to give a little more surface area for pushing large panels.

Everything else
The right laminated table attaches to the Unifence rail in the front and a support rail in the back. Once attached, it remains level with the rest of the saw. The legs provide support for unbalanced heavy loads.

The motor hangs out the back of the saw. You'll have to keep that in mind if you build an additional out-feed table because you will have to make room for the motor. With my previous saw, the out-feed table could sit flush with the back of the saw.

The blade guard is a little annoying because it cannot be easily lifted out of the way. It has a notch to hold the guard about 45 degrees up, but a slight bump will cause it to fall.

Delta 36-5000 10 Contractor Saw With 30 In. Rh Rip Steel Wing + Free Gift

Delta 36-5000 10 Contractor Saw With 30 In. Rh Rip Steel Wing + Free Gift

Up for Sale is the Brand NEW DELTA 36-5000 10 Left Tilt Contractor Saw with 30 in. RH Rip Steel Wing @ Awesome Price!More DISCOUNT if you purchase in ...

Delta 36-5100 10 Contractor Saw With 30 In. Rh Rip Cast Wing + Free Gift

Delta 36-5100 10 Contractor Saw With 30 In. Rh Rip Cast Wing + Free Gift

Up for Sale is the Brand NEW DELTA 36-5100 10 Left Tilt Contractor Saw with 30 in. RH Rip Cast Iron Wing @ Awesome Price!More DISCOUNT if you purchase...

Table Saws: Delta 10 in. Contractor Saw with 30 in. Right Hand Rip 36-5100

Table Saws: Delta 10 in. Contractor Saw with 30 in. Right Hand Rip 36-5100

Shop for Power Tools at The Home Depot. The Delta 10 in. Contractor Saw features an industry standard tool-free split guard design allows a true rise-...

Delta 36-5152 10 In. Contractor Saw With 52 In. Rh Rip Cast Wing + Free Gift

Delta 36-5152 10 In. Contractor Saw With 52 In. Rh Rip Cast Wing + Free Gift

Up for Sale is the Brand NEW DELTA 36-5052 10 in. Left Tilt Contractor Saw with 52 in. RH Rip Cast Iron Wing @ Awesome Price!More DISCOUNT if you purc...

Table Saws: Delta Saw. 10 in. Left Tilt Contractor Saw with 30 in. Right Hand Rip 36-5000

Shop for Power Tools at The Home Depot. The Delta 10 in. Contractor Saw features an Industry Standard tool-free split guard design allows a true rise-...

Delta 36-5052 10 Contractor Saw With 52 In. Rh Rip Steel Wing + Free Gift

Delta 36-5052 10 Contractor Saw With 52 In. Rh Rip Steel Wing + Free Gift

Up for Sale is the Brand NEW DELTA 36-5052 10 in. Left Tilt Contractor Saw with 52 in. RH Rip Steel Wing @ Awesome Price!More DISCOUNT if you purchase...

DELTA 34-264 8-Inch Dado Insert for DELTA Contractors Saws and Right-Tilt Unisaws

For right tilt saw Accommodates a 7- or 8-inch dado set Uses existing screws for easy installation One insert included
Table Saws: Delta Saw. 10 in. Left Tilt Contractor Saw with 52 in. Right Hand Rip 36-5052

Shop for Power Tools at The Home Depot. The Delta 10 in. Left Tilt Contractor Saw features an industry standard tool-free split guard design allows a ...

Delta Unisaw/contractor Saw Flange Washer

Delta Unisaw/contractor Saw Flange Washer

This is Delta no. 422-04-103-5001. This is the flange washer for the arbor on the Delta Unisaw/ Contractor tablesaws. The bore is a standard 5/8 and t...

Delta Dolcevita Pencil Italian Magnificent Orange Platinum Sterling Silver

Delta Dolcevita Pencil Italian Magnificent Orange Platinum Sterling Silver

FOLKS, WE HAVE BEEN COLLECTING PENS FOR OVER 25 YEARS,BUT THIS DELTA IS ONE OF THE FINEST WEVE COME ACROSS!THE EXCLUSIVE DELTA DOLCEVITA THE GOOD LIFE...