Devoe Paint Acrylic

Regency Zero VOC Paint & Primer in One

Dec 14, 2011

Pros:Smooth coverage, low odor, no VOC's

Cons:Primer didn't perform as expected

The Bottom Line: A nice paint with low odor and fast drying time.  Added primer did not perform well.

We recently decided to do some work in one of our spare bedrooms.  This room was our daughters bedroom, and is now being used as an office.  I felt it was time to remove the wallpaper on one wall, apply orange peel texture to that wall, and paint the entire room.

Our local hardware store sells a paint that I really like, it's called Regency Paint & Primer In One, made by Devoe Paint.  One gallon retails for around $25.00, so it's on the higher end of the price scale (at least for Alaska).

This is a 100% acrylic paint that is advertised as being Devoe's "Finest Quality".  I chose semi-gloss because it makes walls easier to clean.  What I really like about this paint is the fact that it contains no VOC's (volatile organic compounds), as measured by the Environmental Protection Agency.

Product Claims

The can states that the paint and primer in one is a time saving solution to painting walls.  It claims to have enhanced washability, scrubbability, and has very good burnish resistance.  Furthermore, it claims to provide excellent coverage, easy application, and fast drying.  Last, the paint contains anti-microbial agents that inhibit the growth of  mold and mildew on the paint film.

Coverage

I had this paint tinted a soft white and was covering previously painted white walls.  The wall that was previously wallpapered had a layer of primer already on it, which made my paper come off with ease, and I didn't have to prime it before painting.

This is a really nice paint to work with!  Especially when using the Colossal paint roller cover.  It really does go on easily, and there were minimal lines from the paint roller.  Coverage was excellent and I didn't have any glops - very smooth paint.

Our three walls needed only one coat of paint, but the wall that was texturized needed two coats.  This really is a fast drying paint!  After the first coat I waited about 30 minutes and the wall was dry to the touch.  The can does say that the paint will dry in 30-60 minutes and that it can be recoated in 4 hours.  I had no issues with the second coat going on in about 45 minutes after the first coat.  The paint went on well over the lightly texturized wall, and I was very pleased with the end result.

Now, the product does claim to have a primer, but this is where I felt the paint fell short.  We had some light crayon marks in the closet and this paint failed to cover them.  After two coats a blue looking stain was still visible.  I got out the paint brush and applied three additional coats to the area, but the blue remained.  I ended up painting Kilz on the area, then recoating with paint, which got the job done.

In all fairness to Devoe Paint, the can does indeed state that two coats are needed for new and unpainted surfaces (ours were painted), and that another coat may be needed for "dramatic color changes or dark colors".  Clearly the paint didn't live up to expectations in this area.  Since it claims to contain a primer I expected more from it.

We had a fair amount of fumes in our home from the can of Homax Texture (and it did an excellent job of texturizing one wall!), but the two coats of Regency paint helped curb that odor (which smelled like spray paint).  There was very little "paint smell" in the room when it was finished.  Overall, I am very pleased with this paint, how easily it was to use, how well it covered, and the fact that it is zero VOC.  My only complaint is with the limited ability to cover colored areas such as the spot in our closet.

Clean up was easy with plain water.  I would purchase it again.

~~Special thanks to Dawn for adding this to the database for me!~~

Devoe Cobalt 55 Fabric 3-1/8 Yds Chenille Jaclyn Smith Home Collection

Devoe Cobalt 55 Fabric 3-1/8 Yds Chenille Jaclyn Smith Home Collection

Description :Super nice material in cobalt blue with chenille dots in tan and light blue. Listed as an upholstery fabric, this pattern is a favorite o...