Diamond Hi - Energy Sporting Dog Formula 50lb Bag Reviews

Diamond Hi - Energy Sporting Dog Formula 50lb Bag

Diamond Hi Energy Formula Dog Food

Oct 6, 2008

Pros:Contains Chelated Minerals for better absorption, high energy formula.

Cons:Contains chicken by-product meal as first ingredient.

The Bottom Line: This is just an average dog food.  I'm not impressed with a by-product as first ingredient, even though it is in a meal form.

I've used Diamond Brand dog food for several years. It was recommended to us by a breeder when we purchased our first miniature dachshund. Diamond was a brand that I normally rotate in my dog's diet.

Diamond Hi Energy Dog Formula

Diamond Hi Energy Dog Formula comes in a larger bag than the other formulas of Diamond Dog Food, which come in a 40 lb. bag. The Hi-Energy formula comes in a 50 lb. bag. It retails for about the same price as the other formulas of Diamond, in the $26 price range.

This formula is specially geared for all high energy dogs, which includes sporting dogs or dogs used for hunting.

One of the things Diamond is known for is that they use all natural preservatives in their pet foods. This formula contains chelated minerals which makes the minerals easier for your pet to absorb. Balanced nutrition and additional vitamins and minerals make this a formula designed for your pets to maintain their weight and stay healthy.

My Thoughts on Diamond Hi-Energy Formula Dog Food

I usually purchase the chicken and rice formuala of Diamond Dog Food. The reason I changed was actually an impulse buy. We were shopping at the new Tractor Supply store that also has lots of different brands of cat, dog, bird, horse, goat, pig, etc. food you can imagine. The grand opening sale offered super good deals on a lot of products. Diamond Hi-Energy Dog Food was one of the products on sale. The 50 lb. bag was only $9.95, so I picked up a bag.

After I got home and my husband unloaded the dog food, I read the nutrition label. I found that this formula contained chiken by-product meal as the first ingredient. Either my memory is failing or Diamond is changing the formulas in its dog food, because I don't remember them having by-products as the first ingredient.

My dachshunds did well on this formula and did not experience any adverse conditions such as hair falling out, upset tummy, etc. In fact, they liked the food and ate it as if it was the same food they have been eating.

I probably will not purchase this formula of dog food on a regular basis in the future. There are other better choices in pet foods that do not start out with by-product meals.

Nutrition

Ingredients:

Chicken by-product meal, ground corn, rice bran, wheat flour, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), meat meal, beet pulp, natural chicken flavor, fish meal, vitamins and minerals.

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein: 24% Min.
Crude Fat: 20% Min.
Crude Fiber: 3% Max.
Moisture: 10% Max.

Recommendation:

I'm not totally thrilled with Diamond Hi-Energy Dog Food, but it also isn't the worst dog food on the market. My bottom line is don't forget to read the ingredient label!

Meat-based formula specifically designed for highly active, energy-expending sporting and hardworking dogs. proper levels of protein, fiber and sodium...