Dimetapp Elixir

Dimetapp- the purple stuff

Jul 22, 2001 (Updated Jul 22, 2001)

Pros:Works fast at relieving cold symptoms

Cons:causes drowsiness

The Bottom Line: I would recommend this to everyone as long as you check with your doctor before you take it, or before giving it to your kids.

It seems that my whole family inherited their mother's allergies, my wife seems to be allergic all things green and furry animals. So of course we don't have any plants in the house, but we do have two cats and one of them sheds like crazy in the spring and summer.

When our first child was little, her pediatrician would give her prescription cold medicines for her stuffy nose and sneezing and watery eyes. When she got a little older, we asked the doctor about over the counter cold medicines. He recommended a cold medicine that we could get from our local grocery store. That cold medicine was Dimetapp Elixir and it is specifically for cold and allergy.

The Dimetapp Elixir actually worked even better on her symptoms than the prescription medicine she was given by her doctor. So we continued to give her the Dimetapp Elixir when her cold and allergy symptom would flare up. These symptoms included watery, itchy eyes and stuffy nose. We continue to use the Dimetapp Elixir with our other two kids as well. When our son was younger and he started showing signs of allergies we didn't hesitate to ask his doctor about giving him Dimetapp since we had so much success with our daughter.

Dimetapp Elixir

This is an Over The Counter cold and allergy medicine, it primarily is an antihistine and decongestant. The antihistime acts as a blocker to the histimines your body releases to fight the allergens that have invaded your body. The decongestant helps to reduce the swelling of your nasal passages. The combination of the two ingredients helps to calm your systems reaction to the allergens.

The Dimetapp Elixir has a great grape flavor that my kids just love and it makes it a lot easier for us to give it to them. We have tried other over the counter cold medicines and they just couldn't stand the taste and usually fought us trying to get them to take it.

Ingredients

The active ingredients are: Brompheniramine maleate USP 1 mg (antihistime) and Pseudophedrine HCI USP 15 mg.(decongestant), per 5 ml tsp. The inactive ingredients include: artificial flavor, citric acid, FD&C blue no. 1, FD&C red no. 40, high fructose corn syrup, propylene glycol, saccharin sodium, sodium benzoate, sorbitol and water.

Dosage

Adults and children over 12:
4 tsp every 4 hours

Children 6 years to under 12:
2 tsp every 4 hours

Children under 6 years:
Consult your doctor.

do not take more than 4 doses in a 24 hour period.

Dimetapp Elixir comes in 4 oz., 8 oz., 12 oz. plastic bottles. Dosage cup is included in the package.

Warnings:

Due to drug interactions you should not use this medication if you are taking prescription monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI)(certain drugs for depression, psychiatric, or emotional conditions, or Parkinson's disease). If you are not sure if you are taking medication containing the MAOI, consult your doctor before taking this medicine.

Consult your doctor before taking if you heart disease, high blood pressure, thyroid disease, diabetes. These conditions can be adversely affected by taking this medication due to the ingredients.

Due to the possible drowsiness caused by this medication avoid operating heavy equipment or driving. Also avoid alcohol, this may increase the sedative affect of the medicine.

As with all medicines keep out of reach of children, and breast feeding mothers should consult their doctors before taking this medication.

What I liked about Dimetapp Elixir?

This was actually the very first medication that I didn't have to fight with my kids to take. All they needed to hear was that it is the purple stuff and they didn't go run and hide from us. I also liked the fact that it started working to relieve the cold and allergy symptoms within 20 minutes.

What I disliked about Dimetapp Elixir?

The only thing I don't like about Dimetapp is that it does cause drowsiness in my kids and I worry about any medication that has a sedative effect on my kids. The other thing is my doctor told me to stay away from most over the counter cold medicines due to my slightly high blood pressure.

In conclusion, I would strongly recommend consulting your doctor and your childs doctor if you are going to give this to your child. My kids have been taking this medication for 11 years in the case of my daughter and we have not had any adverse reactions.

Dimetapp Childrens Cold Allergy Elixir Liquid Grape 4 oz

Dimetapp Childrens Cold Allergy Elixir Liquid Grape 4 oz

Relieves Nasal Symptoms: Stuffy Nose. Runny Nose. Sneezing.

Dimetapp Dm Elixir Childrens Cold Cough Liquid Grape Flavor 4 oz

Dimetapp Dm Elixir Childrens Cold Cough Liquid Grape Flavor 4 oz

Temporarily relieves cough due to minor throat and bronchial irritation occurring with a cold and nasal congestion due to the common cold hay fever or...

- Dimetapp Children's Cold & Allergy Grape Flav

- Dimetapp Children's Cold & Allergy Grape Flav

Our Shop Shop Categories Description Category: Health and Beauty ISBN: B00BZALQ4S Condition: New! Note: New Condition. Dimetapp Children's Cold Allerg...

Children's Dimetapp Grape Flavor Cold & Allergy 4 Fl Oz

Children's Dimetapp Grape Flavor Cold & Allergy 4 Fl Oz

Help your little one stay focused on fun and not their allergies or cold with the Children s Dimetapp Grape Flavor Cold and Allergy Medicine. Whether ...

6 Childrens Dimetapp 11/15 Cold & Cough Relief Grape Syrup Ages 6+ Antihistamine

6 DIMETAPP CHILDREN'S COLD COUGH RELIEF GRAPE ORAL SYRUPS ~LOW BUY IT NOW PRICE FAST SHIPPING! PHOTO SHOWS 1, BUT YOU WILL RECEIVE 6 COUNT NEW SEALED ...

Children's Dimetapp Nighttime Grape Flavor Cold & Congestion, 4 Oz

Children's Dimetapp Nighttime Grape Flavor Cold & Congestion, 4 Oz

For ages six years and over Dosage cup provided Drug Facts Active Ingredient Purpose Diphenhydramine HCI, USP 6.25 mg Antihistamine/cough suppressant ...

Dimetapp Children's Long Acting Cough Plus Cold Grape Flavor Childrens 4 oz

Dimetapp Children's Long Acting Cough Plus Cold Grape Flavor Childrens 4 oz

Stuffy Nose. Runny Nose. Sneezing. Itchy Watery eyes. Cough. Alcohol Free .

Children's Dimetapp Grape Flavor Cold & Cough/nighttime Cold & Congestion 8oz

Children's Dimetapp Grape Flavor Cold & Cough/nighttime Cold & Congestion 8oz

Relieves nasal symptoms, including stuffy nose, runny nose and sneezing Also treats itchy and watery eyes Restores freer breathing Ingredients Cold Co...

Dimetapp Children's Cold & Allergy Relief Liquid Grape 8 oz

Dimetapp Children's Cold & Allergy Relief Liquid Grape 8 oz

Relieves Nasal Symptoms: Stuffy Nose. Runny Nose. Sneezing.