Discovery Toys Super and #153; Marbleworks and #174; Raceway Accessory Set

1 consumer review

BUILD THIS! ... Discovery Toys SUPER MARBLEWORKS Raceway Accessory Set

Aug 27, 2002 (Updated Aug 27, 2002)

Pros:Durable, Inspires Imagination.

Cons:You need the additional purchase of the Marbleworks Raceway.

The Bottom Line: The SUPER MARBLEWORKS. Raceway Accessory Set is a wonderful compliment to the Discovery Toy Marble Raceway.

Just when they thought marble racing couldn’t get more fun… Mom introduced them to the SUPER MARBLEWORKS® Raceway Accessory Set. This fun-filled set contains 11 imaginative pieces that allow your child(ren) to add on to the Discovery Toys Super Marbleworks® Raceway.

With this innovative set – exclusive to Discovery Toys – your child will certainly enjoy the ability to create more raceway splendor. These pieces allow for enhanced planning by adding funnels, chutes, twists and turns. The mere charge of $15.49 is worth the hours of playtime you’ll receive from this high quality product.

The Discovery Toys Super Marbleworks® Raceway has been a staple within our home playground since 1997. These sets include multiple pieces that fit together so that marbles can race down the various turns and chutes. It wasn’t long after we purchased the Super Marbleworks® Raceway that I added the SUPER™ MARBLEWORKS® Raceway Accessory Set . I added an additional Super Marbleworks® Raceway set in 2000, allowing the children to construct two large structures or one gigantic raceway. The durability of these sets are superb. We have experienced no damage to any part. Considering our initial set has been played with weekly for 4.5 years, that is a major compliment to longevity.

My thanks are extended to Discovery Toys for providing another excellent product! In fact after being a faithful customer of DT for years, I decided to join the team of representatives last week. Yes peeps… I am now a Discovery Toys representative, and will be conducting 7 parties in the next few weeks. Previously I sold Tupperware, then came Avon, and now I am matched with one of my adoration’s… playing! **grin** It is no secret that I adore children of all ages, like toys, and reading. Couple that with a good toy product and I was a sure win for the friendly representative I met during the local Evergreen State Fair.

Okay, back to the task at hand…. Reviewing the SUPER™ MARBLEWORKS® Raceway Accessory Set . Hang on… here we go…

SUPER™ MARBLEWORKS® Raceway Accessory Set

~~ 2 Twists
~~ 4 Adapters
~~ 1 Funnel

~~ Pros ~~
Adds exciting features to the original Discovery Toys Super Marbleworks® Raceway
Durable

~~ Cons ~~
This serves as an accessory kit, not a single purchase item.

~~ Details ~~
The enclosed pieces are accessories for the Discovery Toys Super Marbleworks® Raceway. The Marbleworks Raceway is exclusive to Discovery Toys and has been a family favorite since 1985. Both the initial set and this accessory set offer multiple attributes with regard to playtime learning. The process your child uses to plan and construct the raceway allows him/her to use his/her own ideas and imagination. Creativity is sparked and the result is increased Cause-and-Effect* skills.

As an early childhood educator I adore toys such as this because of the open-ended* play. I have a variety of construction toys in my daycare/preschool. These provide gear to enhance planning, math, and science skills. If you are unable to make purchases such as this, please don’t fret. An alternative is to gather paper towel rolls, toilet paper rolls, marbles, tape, foil, medical piping (if possible – or other tubing), scissors, and an eager child. Join your child for innovation time. You’ll be amazed at how much fun this is and your child might not even realize the educational premise unfolding.

In this era of increased electrical stimulation it is important to remember the need for toys such as this. They are challenging at times, but the outcome is success. Because the toy pieces can be used in multiple ways, creativity is encouraged and rewarded. The Marble Raceway is powered via your child’s imagination and handiwork.

The bright colors are visually stimulating and the racecourse is excellent for visual tracking. Considering how easy the pieces fit together, these sets are good for children with special needs also. Depending on the child you might choose to construct the raceway while they conduct the race.

Logical reasoning is essential and this set assists with developing that skill. Your child(ren) will lay out the pieces, summarize the task at hand and go for it. I adore watching children of varying learning styles undertake construction of raceways. For example my older daughter carefully lines up the pieces, analyzes them, plans a design, constructs, and tests. There are often rebuild sessions, and at times literal tear downs and rebuilds occur.

Enter my youngest….

The box is opened, content poured out – the 11 piece set is now mixed with a 49-piece Super Marbleworks® Raceway – and off to building she goes! **lol** I realize there is plenty of thought that goes into her building escapades also. It is just that the time from box opening to structure erection is slight.

Now….

I am having a ‘good nerve day’ so the boxes are put out and 4 children will be involved in constructing. Well this becomes very interesting because the different learning styles combine to require cooperation. Honestly this type of teamwork is good for children and the result is generally nice. There are times I am required to interject – for everyone’s sake. At this point I attempt to narrate in a manner such as:
“I can tell that Tim has a plan in which he feels will allow the marbles to travel at a higher speed, lets hear what he is thinking.”
By interacting with the children they learn to tolerate each other, work together, and reap the benefit of the finished structure.

Concluding Thoughts
In conclusion, sets like the SUPER™ MARBLEWORKS® Raceway Accessory Set excite me due to the multiple attributes mentioned above. This set is durable and versatile. I highly recommend this accessory kit if you are purchasing – or currently have – the Discovery Toys Super Marbleworks® Raceway.

Please Note
You need a... Discovery Toys Super Marbleworks® Raceway

* Cause-and-Effect:
The ability to perceive the relationship between an action or an event and the outcome (when I do this, that occurs).

* Open-ended play:
There is no one "right" answer or way to use the toy... it provides room for a child's own creative thinking to come into play.

* Fine Motor Skills:
The abilities involved in controlling and coordinating small muscle movements evident in such activities as pasting, drawing, lacing, cutting, writing, etc.

* Math Skills:
Addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, problem solving, logic, algebra, geometry, etc.