DISNEYLAND HOTEL

Disneyland Hotel Concierge Splurge worth it if you are traveling with kids

Nov 19, 2001

Pros:Convenience to monorail, parks. Concierge service very helpful

Cons:Hotel is starting to show it's age.

The Bottom Line: For our family, the Disneyland Hotel concierge service was worth the price. The additional cost for the room was offset by the excellent food and beverage offerings in the lounge.

In October, my family of four (me, hubby, two daughters, age 11 and 15) traveled to Disneyland and stayed at the Disneyland Hotel. Travel conditions being what they are, we were able to reserve a room at the concierge level for $200 per night. Concierge rooms normally run for about $100 more per night than the rate we received.

We have never stayed concierge before, but have always wanted to. I have read rave reviews of this Disney perk in the past and finally we got to give it a try!

The hotel room itself was no different from a standard room, as far as we could tell. It was nicely appointed, fairly large and equipped with two queen size beds and a daybed. Everything was nice and clean, but the hotel itself is starting to show its age a bit. Having recently stayed at the Grand Californian, and two years ago at the Boardwalk Villas in Walt Disney World, I can say this hotel doesn't come close to matching the themeing of the newer sites. The hotel looks very much like a Marriot or Hyatt-nice, but not lavish.

We enjoyed the concierge service quite a bit. The concierge lounge is open daily from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. A "continental" breakfast is served each morning from 7:00 -10:00 a.m. I felt the offerings for breakfast exceeded the typical "continental" offerings. Lots of fruit, muffins, bagels, cream cheese, cold cereals, oatmeal, juices, hot chocolate, and coffee were all available. Our family was easily able to eat breakfast there every morning, saving us a minimum of $25.00 per day on breakfast alone. During the middle of the day the lounges has cookies and beverages available for the taking. You were only allowed to to take 2 beverages per person out of the lounge at a time. We filled up our backpacks with bottled water and sodas and took them to the park. I figure this probably saved us another $10 or so each day. Evenings the lounge had the same cookies and drinks available, plus wine and appetizers. The appetizers weren't very spectacular-mostly vegetables and dips, salsa and guacamole with chips and various cheeses-but all quite good and plenty of it. We stopped into the lounge each evening before heading back to the parks. This extra little snack helped us from spending as much money in the parks, although I'm not sure I can put a dollar amount on the savings there! Probably a couple fewer churros per day! :)

The staff at the concierge were very attentive. We used them to make dinner reservations at the Blue Bayou restaurant (located inside the Pirates of the Caribbean ride) and also to change our room location when the first proved to be too noisy. (We looked directly out onto Downtown Disney and the nightclub noise went on till the wee hours of the morning.) The staff was efficient and very friendly.

All in all, I would recommend the Disneyland concierge service IF you are not paying full rack rates. Check mousesavers.com for current discounts available at both Disneyland and Disneyworld. A tip: Disney reservationists are trained to never offer discounts available, you must ask and you must be specific.