Doubletree? Club New York/Jfk Airport

Epinions Product Rating: OK

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel JFK Airport

Nov 3, 2012

Pros:Close to the airport, helpful staff, comfortable beds.

Cons:The area/location, lack of nearby restaurants, grocery stores and entertainment. Long trip into downtown NYC.

The Bottom Line: This is a good place to stay if you need access to the airport or brief visits to the area. Comfortable rooms.

This DoubleTree location, nestled between the freeway and a residential neighborhood in Jamaica, NY, is only minutes away from JFK airport . A convenient location if you're just doing a quick stay but for long-term visits or sight-seeing, it's a fair distance from the areas many attractions.

DoubleTree by Hilton

Despite the stress from post-Hurrican Sandy complications, the staff were surprisingly friendly and attentive. I was in town to help with and support the recovery efforts. The entire building did not have running water for the first day of my stay. The next day, we got water but it was cold and on the third day it was hot water. Some rooms still lacked electricity (mine was fine). The only real issue with my room was the thermostat. I don't know if it was broken or a result of the power outage but it didn't work. All-in-all the hotel was good. It was a clean room and the blankets were warm, the pillows plump and the mattress comfy.

Obviously, you almost certainly will not experience these complications. Please don't mistake them as complaints either because we had it easy compared to many of the hardy New Yorkers in the area.

The hotel features a gym, 24-shuttle service to the airport, a business center, HBO and, most imporantly, free wifi. The wifi wasn't great but it was free and good enough for most uses. Streaming video wasn't one of them. I had to catch up on some TV shows on my iPhone instead.

On the plus side, if you bring a gaming console you'll be happy with the TV. The TV in my room was a 42 or 46" LG LCD flatpanel with 2x HDMI ports in the back.

One thing they should seriously consider upgrading is the deathtrap elevators. They're old, loud, creaky and small. They do not inspire confidence at all. But they do run fairly fast. Here's a tip, don't press a floor number until you're ready to go. Once pressed, the doors start to close almost immediately. Give your friends/family/guests a chance to get in first. Or laugh at them as you take off alone for your room. haha!

DoubleTree JFK in Jamaica, NY

For a DoubleTree property, I was a little surprised at the location. Sure, it's close to the airport but when you check in the staff warn you not to walk outside at night. Apparently, even during the day it's questionable. I did not experience any problems with the neighborhood but it's something to keep in mind. The notification caught my attention, for sure.

Speaking of the area, there are not a lot of good stores nearby. About a half-mile away, you can find some small neighborhood shops and restaurants. There's a Popeye's Chicken but nothing else within walking distance.

DoubleTree vs Other Hilton Properties

From the outside, this location is not impressive at all. It looks more like a psychiatric ward than a hotel. But inside, DoubleTree JFK Airport is comfortable.

Compared to other Hilton properties that I've stayed at this is my least favorite. If I wasn't staying here for work, I certainly wouldn't pay the exorbinant price they charged.

You can probably find a more modern Hilton Hotel closer to town. Look around.