Dove Curl & Sculpt Defining Mousse Reviews

Dove Curl & Sculpt Defining Mousse

I made my straight hair think it was curly with this mousse.

Jan 20, 2007 (Updated Jan 26, 2007)

Pros:Inexpensive, no flaking, holds well, soft hair, gives me curl when I have none

Cons:Works better with the Dove Curl Defining Styling Cream for me.

The Bottom Line: I have straight hair and this mousse helped me get bouncy waves. Inexpensive and effective!

I have pin straight hair so why am I reviewing Dove Curl & Sculpt Defining Mousse? At the last family gathering we had, my nephew's girlfriend had a head full of really nice looking waves which I had to comment on. She said her hair was as straight as mine but she used this mousse and the curling cream by Dove and scrunched her hair by hand.

Hmm. Could it be that I could get a little volume, wave, maybe even slight curl just by using styling products, my hands, and a diffuser?

I set out to find out.

This product is a darn good one, not just for those who already have curly hair, but for those who want it!

About this Mousse

All Dove Styling Products are formulated with our unique Weightless Moisturizers® that condition while you style so they never leave hair too stiff or sticky. For a style that looks beautiful and moves naturally.
For beautifully defined curls that won't leave hair stiff or sticky.
Sculpts curls and waves for smooth frizz-free styles.

Packaging

This mousse is seven ounces and comes in a white metal can. The opaque top is blue plastic and the spray nozzle is unlike regular mousse ones. This one has more of a large button sprayer which allows the mouse to come out in a ribbon rather than a big blob. The end result is the same but I kind of like the spray top of this mousse.

The scent is clean and fresh - a bit floral.

My Use

Armed with a diffuser and some Dove Curl Defining Styling Cream as well as this mousse, I set out to force my hair to be wavy.

I towel dried my hair and applied some of the cream first then the mousse. The mousse is light and airy and blended easily into my hair. It felt a tad greasy in my hands which worried me because the last thing I need is to have my long, straight hair weighed down.

I then scrunched my hair and dried it on low with the diffuser on the end of the dryer.

The result wasn't as curly as my nephew's girlfriend's style but I had a neat looking wavy, bouncy look. I was complimented by a couple of friends the first time I styled my hair that way.

The hold is pretty good. It isn't super maximum hold which is fine because that would mean crackly, hard hair. My hair was not at all hard or crispy.

I followed up with hairspray and the style stayed looking fresh all day.

I then tried to do the same thing without the Cream, using only this mousse. I ended up getting nice waves again - not as bountiful as when I combined products - but still, noticeable results.

It was snowing when I left the house and my hair didn't lose the body and go limp on me, which shocked me. Again, the style held all day.

I didn't see any flakes or telltale styling aid residue in my hair and it didn't weight it down. The oily feeling in my hands didn't seem to transfer to my hair, thankfully. It was soft, though, and shiny. And wavy! And here I was considering a *gasp* perm for some scrunchy waves!

I paid under $3.50 for this mousse and it's worth every penny and then some. I don't see any reason to try many others. This one does the job well for me and it works well on my nephew's girlfriend who also has straight hair.

Mousse for curly hair isn't JUST for curly hair!

Buying Info

This mousse can be purchased at drugstores and mass-market stores and even some grocery stores. Online, it can be purchased on a number of drugstore and beauty sites. I paid $3.43 for my can but the cost varies from $4.99 to just under $3.00 depending on where you get it.

Conclusion

This inexpensive mousse gives me the option to have wavy hair when I want it. It seems to lock in my style, even when I just scrunch my hair with my hands.

It is best used on towel dried clean hair. If you use it on wetter hair, it will dilute.

It leaves no residue or flakes and isn't sticky. It claims to have a weightless conditioner in it. I don't know about that but my hair is soft and shiny when I use it.

If it made my straight hair this bouncy, it should work great on hair that is already curly.

I give it 4 stars. It's just short of perfect but I find using it in combination with the Curl Defining Cream gives me even more hold and bounce. The two work well together and, for both, I paid less than $7.00. A deal for sure.

Ingredients

If you are interested in what is in his mouse, here it is from drugstore.com.
Water (aqua), Isobutane, Dimethyl Ether, Polyquaternium-4, Propane, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycerin, Fragrance (Parfum), Steareth 2, DMDM Hydantoin, Dimethiconol, TEA - Dodecylbenzenestulfonate, Silk Amino Acids (Alanine, Glycine, Serine, Arginine), Borago Officinale Seed oil (Palmitic Acid, Stearic Acid, Linoleic Ac), Laureth 23, Cyclomethicone

Another excellent, inexpensive hair product from Dove:

Dove Smooth & Soft Anti-Frizz Cream

Dove Damage Therapy Curl & Sculpt Defining Mousse 7oz.each 2 Pack

Dove Damage Therapy Curl & Sculpt Defining Mousse 7oz.each 2 Pack

New Dove mousse Damage Therapy Curl Sculpt Defining with natural movement new cans 7oz. each can sale for 2 pack

3 Pack Dove Damage Therapy Curl & Sculpt Defining Mousse 7oz. 3 Pack

3 Pack Dove Damage Therapy Curl & Sculpt Defining Mousse 7oz. 3 Pack

New Dove DAMAGE THERAPY Curl Sculpt Defining MOUSSE 7oz.3 pack

Dove Damage Therapy Curl And Sculpt Defining Mousse^ 7 Ounce (pack Of 3)

Dove Damage Therapy Curl And Sculpt Defining Mousse^ 7 Ounce (pack Of 3)

Dove's Curl Sculpt Defining Mousse with Natural Movement For frizzy^ wavy or curly hair that needs definition Dove Curl Sculpt Defining Mousse gives l...

Dove Nourishing Curls Whipped Cream Mousse 7 Ounce

Dove Nourishing Curls Whipped Cream Mousse 7 Ounce

NEW Dove Nourishing Curls Whipped Cream Mousse 7 Ounce $9.99 $12.95 Gently nourishes to help eliminate frizz for gorgeously well-defined, soft, bouncy...

Dove Nourishing Curls Whipped Cream Mousse, 7 Ounce

Dove Nourishing Curls Whipped Cream Mousse, 7 Ounce

Dove Nourishing Curls Whipped Cream Mousse, 7 Ounce $10.01 $12.95 Details Manufacturer: Dove Color: Item Dimensions Length: 9.2 Width: 2.2 Height: 2...

2 Dove Nourishing Curls Whipped Cream Mousse 7oz Each No Lids

2 Dove Nourishing Curls Whipped Cream Mousse 7oz Each No Lids

2 Dove Nourishing Curls Whipped Cream Mousse 7oz Each NO LIDS Check out my other items ! Stores I will no longer be able to cancel your purchase. Plea...

2 Dove Nourishing Curls Whipped Cream Mousse 7oz Each One Has No Lid

2 Dove Nourishing Curls Whipped Cream Mousse 7oz Each One Has No Lid

2 Dove Nourishing Curls Whipped Cream Mousse 7oz Each!