Epinions Product Rating: OK

Dr. Scholl's Ingrown Toenail Pain Reliever ~ What a Waste of Money!

Apr 13, 2006

Pros:great concept of using cushions and bandages

Cons:extremely painful instead of relieving the pain, made the nail worse

The Bottom Line: Dr. Scholl's Ingrown Toenail Pain Reliever caused more discomfort and I would not recommend wasting your money on it.

Throughout my life I can think of three occasions where I have had to deal with an ingrown toenail. It is never a pleasant experience. It is also a costly process just for over-the-counter medication to take care of it. However without giving the situation proper attention can lead to serious complications.

~What is an Ingrown Toenail and How do you know you have one?~

The actual medical term for an ingrown toenail is "onychocryptosis." It can be caused by various reasons:

1) tightness of a shoe
2) circulation in your foot is poor
3) not trimming your nails properly

When you accidentally leave a piece of nail that can grow on the left or right side of your toe, it can grow abnormally. This might most commonly occur when you are trimming your toe nails. The big toe is the one you have to watch out the most for though. It is a frequent area that you would contract an ingrown toenail.

If you don't attempt to take care of this situation with over-the-counter medicine, it can lead to worse conditions. In some cases, the ingrown toenail will get infected and become quite painful leading to the entire nail itself having problems. There are even instances where you have to go to your local doctor for what they call "minor surgery" in order to correct your toenail. With that you have pain killers, medication and more complications that are not needed.

When you see that the side of your toenail is getting red or flaring up, this is a good sign of a problem. Your skin will start to or perhaps already grow over that tip of the nail. It is extremely painful and I have to result in wearing sandals until the tenderness has been alleviated. Your toe will be sore and uncomfortable until you put medication on it to help heal your ingrown toenail.

~The Packaging and What Comes in the Box~

When it comes to Ingrown Toenail Relief, there are not that many choices out there. In the past I have used Outgro and have never seen any other product that caters directly to ingrown toenails. When the pain became too much for me, I asked my fiance to go to the pharmacy to get it. However when he came home, he didn't have Outgro in his hand. All I could manage to see was Dr. Scholl's Ingrown Toenail Pain Reliever in a box. Apparently the pharmacy did not have my initial choice in stock.

Dr. Scholl's Ingrown Toenail Pain Reliever comes with three products inside the box:

1) 12 retainer ring cushions: 1" in diameter, 1 x 2 centimeters for the cut out/slot area (further explained below)
2) 12 protection bandages: 4" long with 1" diameter circle to cover the "retainer ring cushion" in the middle
3) Ingrown Toenail Pain Reliever Gel: 8.5g (0.3 oz)

~Directions~ (taken from packaging)

For use of adults and children 12 years & older ~
1) wash affected area and dry thoroughly
2) place retainer ring on toe with slot over the area where the ingrown nail and skin meet. Smooth ring down firmly.
3) Cut open tip of tube on score mark. Apply enough gel product to fill the slot inthe ring. Immediately replace cap on tube.
4) Place round center section of bandage directly over the gel-filled to seal the gel in place. Smooth ends of bandages strip around toe.
5) Repeat twice daily (morning and night) for up to 7 days until pain and discomfort is relieved or until the nail can be lifted out of the nail groove and easily trimmed

~Ingredients~

Active: Sodium sulfide 1% (ingrown toenail reliever)
Inactive: edetate disodium, hydroxyethl cellulose, potassium acetate, purified water

~Warnings~

1) Do not use on open sores
2) For external use only
3) Ask Doctor before use if you have diabetes, poor circulation, gout
4) Keep out of Reach of children, Call Poison Control if swallowed
5) Stop Use and ask a doctor if:
a) redness or swelling of your toe increases
b) discharge is present around the nail
c) symptoms last more than 7 days or clear up and occur again within a few days
6)Store between 60 to 77 degress F (20 to 25 C)

~Dr. Scholl's Ingrown Toenail Pain Reliever Guarantee~ (taken from packaging)

1) Most advanced treatment for ingrown toenail
2) Medicated gel quickly penetrates to soften nail
3) Only medication proven to relieve ingrown toenail pain

If within 90 days you are not completely satsified with your purchase, mail in the original UPC code from the package along with your sales receipt to Schering-Plough Healthcare Products, Inc., PO Box 377, Memphis, TN 38151 for replacement or refund.

~My Horrible Experience~

I have to say the results of using Dr. Scholl's Ingrown Toenail Pain Reliever were extremely disappointing. I felt I was ripped off by spending $9.99 on such an expensive over-the-counter medicine. I am only pleased that I am able to return to the manufacturer for a refund.

The directions are very easy to follow and there is even an illustration on the front of the box that demonstrates how Dr. Scholl's Ingrown Toenail Pain Reliever works. There is a slot cut out in the ring cushion that you put on your toe. The gel goes into the slot. The bandage covers the entire area and wraps around your toe.

It is simple to use and the only complaint I would have (as far as packaging) is that you have to cut the tip of the tube down pretty far. With this problem, the gel tends to come out quite quickly and you need to only apply a small amount of pressure to squeeze any out. The first time I used the product I thought I ended up using a tissue to dab away the excess gel that had come out.

Once I had applied the first treatment, I was very eager to feel the results as my big toe felt like it was throbbing. However, after an hour I realized that the pain had only increased over time. Regardless I kept the bandage on and by looking at the guarantee on the box thought that it might just be the fact that my ingrown toenail was getting worse.

After soaking and cleaning my foot again at night, I re-applied the gel. I went through the correct directions all over again hoping for a better outcome. It must have been about two or three o'clock in the morning when I woke up in excruciating pain. I ran into the bathroom to look at my toenail. All I could stand to do was rip the bandage off and clean off the medicated gel. I then went back to sleep with no medication applied.

I woke up the next morning with an aggravated ingrown toenail still in my foot. I didn't have any other means to get medication at the time so once again I decided to try the Dr. Scholl's Ingrown Toenail Pain Reliever. After applying a third treatment on my toe, I even decided to raise my foot up so it would extend out to see if that would help. By two hours later the exact same unbearable pain was back and my toe felt as if it was going to explode. I didn't quite understand why this was happening when according to the box, "nothing's proven faster to relieve ingrown toenail pain at home." I was getting the opposite effect and the pain was only becoming worse each time I applied this gel.

I let my toe breathe in open air without any medication on it for the rest of the day. I noticed that the pain subsided substantially even though I had no medicine on my toe. It was one last try for the Dr. Scholl's Ingrown Toenail Pain Reliever to kick in that night. I applied it for the last time and repeated the former night's ritual. I had to run to my bathroom and rip the bandage off. My toe was causing me to wake up in the middle of the night. I rinsed out/off my foot and went back to bed.

By the four applications that I used with this product, I found that if anything it made the pain worse for me. It did not soften the nail at all. At one point I thought that my toe had become infected by it was actally discoloration of my skin caused by the Pain Relieving Gel. It caused burning and itching of my toe as well. The overall side effects of using this product were quite awful. It did the opposite of what it was supposed to do when it came to giving me any sort of relief from my ingrown toenail.

On my third day I went and bought the Outgro product that I knew would work and two days later my ingrown toenail was practically non-existent. It proved to me that Dr. Scholl's Ingrown Toenail Pain Reliever was really a poor choice and didn't work at all. I truly believe that it made everything worse for me. I received more discomfort from using this product and did not achieve any positive results at all.

The only helpful thought that comes to mind is that the packaging of using a ring cushion and bandage was convenient. It was also easy to use and the bandage stayed on properly. I didn't have to mess with that aspect at all. Unfortunately though that was the only positive experience I had.

Overall I would say that Dr. Scholl's Ingrown Toenail Pain Reliever is not worth a penny of your hard earned money. It will not prove to be anything but cause you more soreness and agony. Don't let your nail get to the point where an infection may occur or you may have to go see your local podiatrist. I recommend buying Outgro for the results that you want and in a few days you will be working out with your running shoes again rather than limping with sandals on!

Thank you for Reading!

kparsons13 Copyright2006

Dr. Scholl's Ingrown Toenail Pain Reliever, 1 Kit, (w/ Gel, 12 Retainer Rings &.

Dr. Scholl's Ingrown Toenail Pain Reliever, 1 kit, (w/ Gel, 12 retainer rings 12 protection bandages) (Pack of 2)Features Relieves ingrown toenail pai...

Dr. Scholl's Ingrown Toenail Pain Reliever Gel, 8.5 (pack Of 3)

Dr. Scholl's Ingrown Toenail Pain Reliever Gel, 8.5 (pack Of 3)

Dr. Scholl's Ingrown Toenail Pain Reliever Gel , 8.5 (Pack of 3)

American Drug Supply Store
Dr Scholl's Ingrown Toenail Pain Reliever Gel Kit 0.3oz

Dr Scholl's Ingrown Toenail Pain Reliever Gel Kit 0.3oz

Dr. Scholl's Ingrown Toenail Pain Reliever Kit Product Features Includes 12 Retainer Ring Cushions, 12 Protection Bandages.Most advanced treatment for...

Dr. Scholl's Ingrown Toenail Pain Reliever Gel, 8.5

Dr. Scholl's Ingrown Toenail Pain Reliever Gel, 8.5

Dr. Scholl's Ingrown Toenail Pain Reliever Gel , 8.5

Dr Scholl's Ingrown Toenail Pain Reliever Gel Kit 8.5g(0.5oz)

Dr Scholl's Ingrown Toenail Pain Reliever Gel Kit 8.5g(0.5oz)

div align=centercenter table border=0 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 width=927tr td height=28 background=http://www.use.com/images/templates/title2.gif w...

Dr. Scholl's Ingrown Toenail Gel 8.50 - 6 Pack

Dr. Scholl's Ingrown Toenail Gel 8.50 - 6 Pack

Heading Look. Feel. Do. Better. Purpose Ingrown Toenail Reliever Manufacturer Merck Consmr Active Ingredients Sodium Sulfide 1% Directions Adults and ...

Dr. Scholl's Ingrown Toenail Gel 8.50 - 3 Pack