Dyson DC07 Allergy Upright Cleaner Reviews

Dyson DC07 Allergy Upright Cleaner

With the Dyson price tag, shouldn't it be better than a $50 vacuum?

Sep 23, 2008 (Updated Sep 25, 2008)

Pros:Doesn't toss dust into the air.

Cons:

More challenging on stairs.

The Bottom Line: I can live without the Dyson, but I live better with it.

Let me establish right away that I purchased this because of asthma and allergies in the family and this vacuum has been a life saver for us. It has not been scientifically proven to be allergy anything, but it works for us.

I don't have any pets. Dyson sells a vacuum specifically designed for pet hair, but this particular model is not marketed for those with pets.

Cost
One of the reasons why we choose this vacuum was because the inexpensive vacuums that we had been purchasing only lasted a year before they broke from running over something or burning the engine out. Over time, we were paying more for replacements than if we just purchased a better vacuum.

We had already decided to purchase a Dyson, but which model was still up for debate. We analyzed the models at the store and found the only differences to be the bells and whistles. My husband and I agreed that the basic $400 model would meet our needs.

There's not thing special about this model. It doesn't do fancy turns, it doesn't have headlights and it doesn't honk. It just works in a back and forth motion like any traditional vacuum except it picks up dust really well.

Carpet
Obviously this was designed with carpets in mind, and does a wonderful job in its area of expertise. One thing that has saved me from replacing the vacuum is chunky items will not go up in it because the front sits so low to the ground that it pushes it. For instance, a fruit loop would just be scooted around but would never be sucked up because it's too large to go under. I have sucked up things like a dimes, tissues and many Littlest Pet Shop accessories. What I hate the most is the twisty ties that secure toys in the boxes. They're silver so blend in with the carpet. They always get stuck and make a tremendous amount of noise. That's the only thing that ever slows me down. If I could add just one whistle to the vacuum it would definitely be a light on the front.

The only area that it could improve on is getting under furniture and within one inch of the the walls. I use the wand for hard to reach places and the edges of the room. Since the wand is so long I don't have to bend over so it's no big deal.

Non-carpeted Floor
It's not that majestic at all on the wood floor. The only reason I use it on the wood floor is when I notice that the floor is dusty. I will run the Dyson over it so the dust doesn't scatter like it does with a dry mop or broom. In any other situation, the push broom wins on the the wood floor.

I use this in the bathroom simply because it's easier than going all the way downstairs for a broom. My bathroom seems to collect lint around the baseboard which is removed easily with the attachment brush. I hit the throw rugs, blinds, and window ledge while I'm there.

Overall, I think the push mop works better on bare surfaces. Plus, I like to avoid areas like the kitchen because I don't want to get food in the Dyson.

The vacuum can be used on low-pile throw rugs when it's set to “bare floor”. The beater brush is turned off when the vacuum is set on bare floors. It does a good job getting the crumps out of the throw rugs, but taking them outside and beating them is faster and more effecitve.

Suction
I think everyone has seen the commercials that lures one to this product. If you haven't, you can watch the commercials on the Dyson website. The company claims that their suction is so much better than a traditional vacuum cleaners due to their unique design. Let's not forget that all brands think theirs is the best.

Is the suction superior? I think it's pretty good. Rather than releasing the handle on the vacuum like you would on a traditional vacuum, your foot is placed on the head of the vacuum and you sort of lock it onto the carpet...like you would seal a container to get the air out of it. It reminds me of a squeegee on a window. You don't get that locked in suction on hardwood floor.

One might think that it's more difficult to push because of the super tight suction. There isn't that much suction. It glides nicely across the carpet. It gets away from me like it's on ice when using it on the wood floor. I do love the handle because it loops and is ergonomically correct. I definitely prefer the handle better than any vacuum that I have had.

Attachments
There are three attachments carried on the vacuum: crevice tool, dusting brush and upholstery attachment. They work as expected but the suction isn't all that impressive out of the attachments. It works fine but I don't think the “suction” of the attachments is any different than other vacuums that I've had in the past.

The wand is also stiff and a little difficult to work worth. The hose has to be released from the unit which prevents it from falling over but causes some turmoil when putting it back together.

I primarily use the tools for the stairs and base boards. When the wand is extended it's no problem reaching the cob webs on the ceiling. My husband has taken it to the garage to clean the car and it was choking on things and falling over on the concrete. I swore never again. It is not designed to be a shop vac.

Actually I would say if you're looking for some serious suction in the attachments, consider a shop vac instead. This doesn't stand above the rest in that area. The hose is only about one inch wide so this won't be your secret weapon for getting crayons and cheerios from under the sofa cushions.

Stairs
The only challenge I have is when I use the hose. The strong air flow causes the hose to constantly contract which makes it difficult to to use especially on the stairs. Pulling the wand all the way out of its secret hiding place helps too. When I'm cleaning the stairs I have to wrap the hose over my shoulder to keep the hose straight enough to use.

Since the power cord and the hose is long I can do many steps before moving the canister. One positive thing that I can say is the canister never falls over when I'm using the extension which is an improvement over other vacuums that I've had in the past.

It is a little heavy to carry up and down the stairs but it is manageable. It has two different handles which makes it a little more balanced.

Allergies
Our family has a significant amount of allergies. One of the selling features for us was the reduction of allergens. I didn't really believe it when we purchased the Dyson but we have noticed a huge improvement once we started using the Dyson on a regular basis. I try to vacuum every day in the rooms that we use. The longer I go between vacuuming the higher the sneeze factor.

The one catch to allergy sufferers is dumping the canister. The particles can fly around when being dumped. I've dumped it so many times that I've mastered it and I don't think it gets into the air. The key is to get the base as close to the drop point as possible. It's also good to put the dirt into a bag that won't be used again so the dust doesn't fly around when a person drops things into the trash can.

Kids
I don't have any pets, but I do have three messy kids. I have to vacuum up moon sand, color chalk, charcoal shavings from my son shading his drawings, pencil shavings, little pieces of paper. Little fine things is definitely a specialty for this vacuum. I can't remember the last time I've bent over to pick something up. It really sucks stuff up.

Easy Maintenance
There is no bags to buy and no filters to replace that I know of. The filters that come with it can be cleaned. I haven't done any maintenance to it in the the three years that I've owned it. I empty my container after each use but it could go a very long time without being dumped.

Occasionally I'll cut the hair and string off the the bar on the bottom. I've never had anything get clogged in the pipes, but there are several removable compartments on the base to get out anything that gets stuck in the curves.

Overall
I have used this Dyson nearly every day for the last three years and I have been tickled with the performance. I must admit, the longer that I own it the less wow factor I get from it. I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread when I got it. Now, after daily use I wish that I had a few more features like a retractable cord and a headlight.

Commercials act like this is a miracle breakthrough, but it's not. It's just a vaccum so don't read too much into what this can do for you. I don't think it needs to be so expensive, but I'll pay it.

I think it's A+ on carpet, but it's not that impressive on bare floors. The attachments work as expected, but it's not a shop vac so don't expect too much out of it.

Dysons come in a variety of colors too, but I would prefer a neutral color since I have to look at it every day. Surprisingly they sell the same model and it cost the same as it did years ago.

It picks up a lot of dirt. I feel like my carpet is clean when I'm done vaccumming because it looks clean and smells clean. I think the Dyson makes my job easier. I can see it working and my nose can tell that there's less floaties in the air. I dust less. I sneeze less. That's why I love the Dyson.

Brand Dyson Dc41 Animal Complete Upright Vacuum Cleaner Free Shipping

Brand Dyson Dc41 Animal Complete Upright Vacuum Cleaner Free Shipping

Cleaning your home is no more a hassle with the Dyson DC41 Animal upright cleaner at your command. Featuring a Radial Root Cyclone technology, this Dy...

Dyson DC41 Animal Complete Upright Vacuum Cleaner

Dyson DC41 Animal Complete Upright Vacuum Cleaner

Product Details Radial Root Cyclone technology- airflows remodeled to maximize suction power. The strongest suction at the cleaner head- cleaner head ...
Dyson DC41 Animal Complete Upright Vacuum with Bonus Tools

Dyson DC41 Animal Complete Upright Vacuum with Bonus Tools

The full-size Dyson DC41 Animal Complete Upright Vacuum is engineered for tough tasks, powerful all-round dirt and pet hair removal. It comes with a r...

Dyson Dc41 Animal Complete Upright Vacuum Cleaner Sealed Box Free S&h

Dyson Dc41 Animal Complete Upright Vacuum Cleaner Sealed Box Free S&h

Dyson DC41 Animal Ball Upright Vacuum with 4 Bonus Attachments

Dyson DC41 Animal Ball Upright Vacuum with 4 Bonus Attachments

The best just keeps getting better! The Dyson DC41AN features everything you love about the Dyson Animal--the self-adjusting active base plate, the RA...
QVC

Brand Factory Sealed Dyson Dc41 Animal Complete Upright Ball Vacuum Cleaner

Brand Factory Sealed Dyson Dc41 Animal Complete Upright Ball Vacuum Cleaner

Dyson DC34 Handheld Vacuum Cleaner

Dyson DC34 Handheld Vacuum Cleaner

Find vacuums and power floor sweepers at Target.com! Dyson dc34 handheld cordless vacuum cleaner is designed for small tasks at home, work, or in your...

Dyson DC41 Animal Upright Vacuum (Refurbished)

Dyson DC41 Animal Upright Vacuum (Refurbished)

Keep your home clean from dirt, dust, pet hair or allergens with this upright vacuum from Dyson. A washable filter, mini turbine and instant release w...
Dyson Dc41 Multi Floor Upright Vacuum Cleaner, Brand New, Best Offer

Dyson Dc41 Multi Floor Upright Vacuum Cleaner, Brand New, Best Offer

Check out my other items !Be sure to add me to your favorites list !This is a BRAND NEW Dyson DC41 Multifloor Ball-Technology Upright Vacuum Cleaner i...