Dyson DC18 - Black/Yellow - Vacuum Cleaner Reviews

Dyson DC18 - Black/Yellow - Vacuum Cleaner

The Dyson DC18 ... HEAVEN!

Apr 23, 2008 (Updated May 28, 2012)

Pros:Strong, consistent suctioning, light and easy to use, cool design, and well worth the money.

Cons:It only comes in Yellow and Purple colors.

The Bottom Line: Simple and easy to use, stylish, strong suction, and reasonably priced! You'll love it!

Ok, let's just get right down to it!

My wife and I have had several vacuums in the past. All Hepa related, environmentally safe, blah-blah-blah. But one of the biggest issue's we've had, was cleaning the vacuum itself. NIGHTMARE! I'll get into how well the Dyson DC18 Vacuum does overall, but lets get down to the biggest issue my wife and I feel really define one vacuum from another. Cleaning the darn thing!

The last Hepa Vacuum we had, and I won't mention the model because it honestly doesn't matter, was awesome cleaning the rugs, but it would clog up after vacuuming 1 room, and would take up to 15 mins to clean, with all the filters it had. Crazy! But it did an incredible job actually vacuuming up dirt, etc. The Dyson DC18 is probably the simplest mechanism we've come across. Unclick the bucket, walk over to the waste basket, click the switch to empty the bucket, walk back to the Dyson DC18, click the bucket back into place, and you're once again ready to Rock and Roll!!!! It honestly could not get any easier!

Now, I bring up and stress this issue, simply because my wife and I have found, that this is the biggest hindrance with using a vacuum. The Dyson DC18, simply takes that process, and condenses it down to a few simple steps.

That's simply one of the reasons we LOVE our Dyson.

I did my research with the Dyson right from the beginning. I've heard a variety of stories with the Dyson brand. From what I've heard, is it's a love or hate thing. You either LOVE their products, or think their totally over rated and reject them. I'm one of the lovers of Dyson.

I've heard people say, it's an expensive vacuum. I see that a lot, even when people review it, they say that's the biggest downfall. I must totally disagree. I think if you get it on sale, or at a discount like we did, paying $300 or so dollars for it, is extremely reasonable for what it is and does. I personally know people that have spent up to $1,500 dollars on a vacuum. That, I've had to take their pulse with, are you mad? IT'S A VACUUM!!!! My first used CAR was less expensive!!! So I believe it's fair, and extremely worth it.

So, we get the Dyson DC18. It's sitting in my living room, and I'm beaming!!!! My wife is looking at me like their is literally something wrong with me. And I'm just sitting there with a tear in my eye, sniffling. "It's here honey, (sniff, sniff) it's home." I was so excited, simply because of all the GREAT reviews we've read about this thing, and we desperately needed a new vacuum, and was damn sure not spending $1,500 dollars on one, HA!

So I open the box and empty out all the contents. I quickly look for the instructions, which were very easy (picture related) to understand. I don't typically like the pictorial instructions, because they make me feel like I'm an idiot. Plus, it doesn't get into some of the specifics of what it is I'm doing, with regards to putting the device together. Either/or, it was easy, and actually fun to put together.

My wife cracked me up too, and I earned some points on this one. She said, "Oh look! It's purple! My favorite color!" I said, "That's right my darling love, I was thinking of you when I picked out the color, simply because I knew it was your favorite color." Awwwww, I know, sweet (sniff, sniff). HAHAHA!!! YEEEEEAH!!!

Now, I know what some of you are thinking. “You were thinking of her because she'll be doing the vacuuming, and you wanted her to at least like the color.” WRONG! I LOVE to vacuum. Why? Because I'm an anal retentive clean freak!!! AND, a germa-phobe. But she loved the color anyway, so I accomplished my mission and got the praise I was seeking, as I am a hedonistic male pig with the longing desire to please only myself in the long term scheme of things. HEEHEE!!

So I was looking at the Dyson DC18, and noticed it was kind of plasticy. Not that my last vacuum was that way, or the one before that, but for some reason it just hit me that way. Not that it matters, because I still loved how cool it was too put together, and how everything fit together so succinctly. Very cool.

After I put it together, I quickly went onto www.dyson.com and registered the unit. Just so if there were any problems with the device, I could have the support. I believe Dyson gives a 5 year warranty on the vacuum, and a lifetime warranty on the Hepa filter. Very cool! Again, great price for those options.

Then, I went back to the Dyson DC18 and got ready to turn that baby on. Now, I remember with my last vacuum, it had a very strong sound and feel to it. The Dyson DC18 doesn't really have that kind of feeling. It's lighter. Higher pitched in sound. However, my wife liked the sound, and felt it was quieter than our last one.

What I thought was just absolutely COOL, was how light and nimble the vacuum was. So easy to maneuver. It seems to have a mind of it's own, responding to your every movement as you vacuum. And it seems like a heavy vacuum when you go to pick it up and move it by hand. But when you are vacuuming, it's as easy as pie. And I'm not kidding, it is!

I love how the vacuum flexes and moves, and even how easy it is to use the attachment features. All you do is stand it up, and the vacuum immediately switches to attachment suction mode at the top of the handle. You simple slide out the bar, attach your brush, and do your thing.

As for the suction, I've heard some say it has a mediocre suction. Others say it's fantastic. Overall, especially compared to our last vacuum that had amazing suction, the thing about the Dyson DC18 suction, is it's consistent. Is it strong? Absolutely! Maybe not as rug ripping strong as our last one, but actually ya know I can't really say that because I honestly think our Dyson has a BETTER suction than our last one. It's just that the Dyson suction is different. It's powerful, and yet, not overdone. And it is definitely consistent. Our last vacuum would loose suction power as the container got full. The Dyson simply doesn't. And for me, that's a much more valuable feature. But please don't get me wrong, it definitely sucks up the dirt!!! Make no bones about it, this lovely little device will clean your rugs without hesitation.

***UPDATE***
Something I forgot to mention which I found really neat about the Dyson DC18. Let's say you are vacuuming, and you run over some string, or dental floss, and the rotary brush becomes entangled and stuck. What would happen with every other vacuum we've owned, is the rotary brushes would jam, and then typically burn out a belt on my old vacuum if you didn't notice the obstruction. With the Dyson DC18, what happens is the rotary blades actually stop rotating. Which you can clearly see through the see-through cover. So if there is a blockage, you know about it. To clear the obstruction is relatively easy. And once you're done, you simply select the reset button on the rotating brush head, and it starts right up again. Ingenious! There is also a switch right next to the power button, that allows you to manually shut off the brushes, so you can use it on hard wood or linoleum floors. Neat design!

All in all, my wife and I have found that the Dyson DC18 is well worth the money, and is a fair deal. Cool and actually pleasant to use. Light, easy to clean, and very well made. If I were to have any criticism what-so-ever, is that they only come in Yellow and Purple colors. You can hen peck what you like and don't like about the Dyson. But the simple fact is, it's very strong, durable, well made, does it's job in spades, and is worth every one of your dollars. I can't suggest it enough.

My only curiosity is longevity. Will it be able to withstand the rigors of a household of two adults, and several active children. We vacuum at the very least once a week. Sometimes up to three times a week. So the real question is, can it go the distance. If we get a good 5 years out of it, we would be extremely happy. AND, it would secure Dyson to have a guaranteed customer from this point on.

My vote, give it a try. I think you will find, for the money, it's well worth it! Get one used if you can. I'm convinced that even a used Dyson DC18 would work just as well as a new one. Why? That's simply just how well built I feel the vacuum is.

Happy vacuuming!

Richard and Family

**UPDATE**  8/6/2011

3 years later and still running strong!  Great vaccum!

**UPDATE**  5/28/2012

This thing just doesn't quit.  We keep the Dyson in a little pantry area which also is the entrance to the basement.  However, there is nothing protecting it from going down the stairs should it accidently fall down, which it did.  This thing fell down a steep stairwell, totaling 14 steep steps.  It fell so hard that the front motorized brush attachement fell off.  Ladies and gentlemen I am happy to annouce that not only did nothing chip or scratch on the unit, but with my fingers crossed, I reattached the front brush, plugged her in, and she purred just as smoothly as the first day I started her up.  Dyson, you have us for life!!!!  You keep putting out quality products like this, and not only will I continue to be a customer of yours, but I just may have to purchase more of your products.  If the quality is THAT good, you give me no choice.  14 steep steps ladies and gentlemen.  Not one scratch, and she purrs like new.  Unreal!!!

Dyson Dc34 - Black/yellow - Vacuum Cleaner

Dyson Dc34 - Black/yellow - Vacuum Cleaner

Designed to collect pet hair, the Dyson DC34 cleaner gives you a thorough cleaning experience. The Radix Cyclone technology of this Dyson handheld cle...

Dyson DC34 Handheld Vacuum -CLOSEOUT Yellow

Dyson DC34 Handheld Vacuum -CLOSEOUT Yellow

DC34 delivers 15 minutes of powerful, constant suction (6 minutes on MAX power for tougher cleans). It s powered by the Dyson digital motor, which spi...

Dyson Dc34 Hand-held Vacuum

Dyson Dc34 Hand-held Vacuum

Dyson DC34 Handheld Vacuum Cleaner

Find vacuums and power floor sweepers at Target.com! Dyson dc34 handheld cordless vacuum cleaner is designed for small tasks at home, work, or in your...

Dyson DC26 Multi Floor City Canister

Dyson DC26 Multi Floor City Canister

Dyson DC26 Multi Floor City Canister - Vacuum Your Home With A Winning Combination - The Dyson DC26 Multi Floor City Canister Vacuum is so powerful wi...
National Allergy Supply

Dyson DC34 Handheld Vacuum Cleaner

Feauring the highest suction of any handheld, this Dyson vacuum cleaner is designed for small household tasks at home, work or in your car. powered by...
JCPenney

Dyson DC25 Ball All-Floors Upright Vacuum Cleaner

Dyson DC25 Ball All-Floors Upright Vacuum Cleaner

Buy at Newegg.com Dyson DC25 Ball All-Floors Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Newegg.com

Dyson DC41 Animal Ball Upright Vacuum with 4 Bonus Attachments

Dyson DC41 Animal Ball Upright Vacuum with 4 Bonus Attachments

The best just keeps getting better! The Dyson DC41AN features everything you love about the Dyson Animal--the self-adjusting active base plate, the RA...
QVC