To Dyson Or Not To Dyson...Is It Really Worth The Money!?!

Dec 14, 2010 (Updated Dec 14, 2010)

Pros:Top of the line carpet and floor clean.  Nobody does it better than Dyson!

Cons:Price!

The Bottom Line: This is a great vacuum if a very clean environment is needed or desired.  Far better than any other brand name vacuum I have used.  With quality, comes the price...

Determining which vacuum will best suit your needs can be difficult as you never truly know how well it will work until it is put into action.  When our old vacuum went out, I looked at all of the various options that were available.  Our household includes two cats, a toddler and a husband who is not well known for cleaning up behind him and I felt that it was important that we purchase an effective vacuum that I could feel confident with.  After conducting research, I decided on the Dyson DC25 Bagless Upright Cyclonic Vacuum.  Once I decided on this model, I then had to consider if the price was worth the machine.  Based on the positive feedback I heard from so many, I decided to take the plunge and spend the $500.  This was months ago and I have never doubted my decision.

Assembly
Assembling the Dyson DC25 Bagless Upright Cyclonic Vacuum was extremely easy and did not require the use of any tools.  Realistically, it can be completed without the use of the owner's manual although I would not recommend this.  Assembly is completed in three easy steps that any adult can manage regardless of their mechanical skills.  You begin laying the body of the machine down and attach the front cleaner head to the bottom of the vacuum.  Once you hear a click, you have confirmation that the piece has been attached properly.  There is nowhere else for it to connect to so it is obvious where the proper placement is.  After this step has been completed, you can now stand the machine up and it will stand on its own.  The wand hose should now be pushed in the open slot on top of the machine.  You will once again receive confirmation through the sound of a click.  The hose can now be pushed into the machine in which you will hear the third and final click.  You are now ready to begin your Dyson experience.

Truly, the most difficult aspect of assembling the vacuum is taking it out of the box!

Basic Info
The Dyson DC25 Bagless Upright Cyclonic Vacuum measures out to 42.4" x 12.2" x 15.4" when it is fully assembled and weighs only 16.12 pounds.  The bin has a capacity of .31 gallons for all of the sucked up debris.  This vacuum includes a cord that measure out to approximately 25 feet.

Usage
Using the Dyson DC25 Bagless Upright Cyclonic Vacuum is as simple as assembly once you have become accustomed to it.  The power switch is conveniently located on the front of the vacuum for easy access.  The recline feature is activated at the bottom rear of the vacuum.  When the foot pedal has been pressed and the handle is reclined, a stabilizer stand that sits on the bottom of the vacuum will rise allowing the vacuum to move smoothly.  Once you are finished with the task, when the handle is placed back into the upright position, the stabilizer will automatically return to its original space to prevent the vacuum from falling.

The Dyson DC25 Bagless Upright Cyclonic Vacuum has the ability to be used on hard wood floors or carpets.  When you first turn on the vacuum, it will begin in the "carpet" mode in which the brush bar located underneath the machine is in a spinning motion.  To turn this off, a button located next to the power switch allows for the brush bar to stop to prevent scratching or damage to a hard floor surface.  We have found that this vacuum works extremely well on tiled floor as well.

If the brush bar becomes obstructed it will automatically stopped.  The user should turn off the machine and clean it according to the instructions.

The Dyson DC25 Bagless Upright Cyclonic Vacuum is only intended for dry surfaces.

High Reach Wand
One of the nice benefits of the Dyson DC25 Bagless Upright Cyclonic Vacuum is the telescope reach wand that is part of this model.  The wand fits inside the handle preventing it from getting in the way when it is not in use.  The wand should have the cap removed and pulled out until the handle slides out of the vacuum.  The attachment will fit either the wand or the hose.  The wand is able to extend up to 15 feet when it is fully stretched out.  The suction power does tend to pull back on the hose and you will want to ensure you have a firm grasp on it.  When the wand is not in use, the cap should be left close.  Dyson strongly recommends that if you are working on stairs, you will want to keep the machine below you to prevent it from falling on you.

The wand should only be used when the vacuum is in its upright position.  Once the vacuum is upright, the brush bar will stop preventing one spot of floor or carpet being damaged from the repetitive motion.

Maneuverability
Maneuvering the Dyson DC25 Bagless Upright Cyclonic Vacuum can be a bit tricky initially and will take some adjustments.  The machine is able to make sharp turns and uses a force more similar to steering rather than simply pushing.  The first few attempts, I found the machine to be bulky and awkward.  I admit my hands and wrist were a little sore and tired after cleaning one room.  After these first attempts, I mastered the movement and found myself vacuuming faster than I had ever been able to do before and without any soreness in my hands or wrists.  This vacuum has been given the Dyson ball technology in which the motor sits inside the round shape located towards the bottom of the machine.  Dyson advertises that this results in a lower center of gravity and I find this to be accurate.  As I vacuum I feel as though this vacuum is much lighter than what it actually weighs.  Once I lift the machine off of the floor, I then feel the additional weight but have no difficult carrying it.

"Under The Hood" and Performance
The Dyson DC25 Bagless Upright Cyclonic Vacuum has been given root cycle technology which prevents the loss of suction while you are vacuuming.  It has an 11amp motor and has 220 air watts that will suck any type of debris in the carpet or on the floor.  I most notice the strength of the vacuum when I find that it is not necessary to keep going over the same spot multiple times to achieve the results I am looking for.  The carpet truly feels and looks clean.  I have worn white socks after vacuuming and find that they do not get dirty as long as I stay in areas that I have vacuumed.  As we have light colored carpet, it is evident if something left behind.  I really notice the difference in the feel and overall softness of the carpet.

Even though the Dyson DC25 Bagless Upright Cyclonic Vacuum has such a strong motor, the sound level is relatively quiet.  Of course with any vacuum there is some sound but I was pleasantly surprised at the difference from my prior vacuum.

The Dyson DC25 Bagless Upright Cyclonic Vacuum does not seem to have any trouble whatsoever with the cat hair and we have never had to clean he brush bar because it has stopped working.  I typically will check it every few uses to ensure there is no hair or any other items tangled in the brush.  As I have long hair, I have habitually had to cut it out of other brush bars on prior vacuums and I make sure I am vigilant about it now.  In general, I definitely find less hair being wrapped around the brush bar.

Even though the vacuum results in a cleaner carpet and floor, I still find that I need to run it a few times a week.  As previously mentioned I have two cats, a toddler and a bit of a messy husband.  The only thing that could result in less vacuuming is a bubble wrapped around each one! However, I have noticed that I do not need to shampoo the carpets quite as often as more of the dirt is being sucked in.  Wet spills could not be affected by any vacuum.

Cleaning the Container
The holding bin is made of a clear plastic material in order to determine how full it is.  The bin is removed by pressing a lever located at the top of the bin.  The bin can be easily pulled from the machine.  In order to release the dirt and debris from inside, a button located on the back of the handle is pressed down resulting in the bottom of the canister opening up.  As is typical with bagless vacuums, some of the dust does tend to come up and coat the outside of the bin.  The bin can be wiped down with a dry towel.  The bin should not be submerged in water or cleaned with a wet towel.

HEPA Filtration
The Dyson DC25 Bagless Upright Cyclonic Vacuum has been two lifetime reusable HEPA filters to ensure clean air.  The filters have been made to trap microscopic allergens to create a healthier environment.  This machine has been certified as "asthma and allergy friendly" according to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America.  Since using this vacuum, I have noticed that we are sick less and there seems to be less dust on the furniture.

The filters should be checked regularly and cleaned at least every 3 months.  Prior to washing the filters, the owner's manual should be consulted to ensure the proper process is followed.  Removing and cleaning the filters is extremely easy and is necessary to ensure the machine is performing at its peak performance.  After all, if you are spending such a large amount of money, a little maintenance to ensure proper functioning is not excessive.

Attachments
The Dyson DC25 Bagless Upright Cyclonic Vacuum includes two separate attachment that fit into the side of the machine when it is not in use.  A combination accessory tool and stair tool are included upon purchase.  The accessory works well for areas that require a good dusting as it has a brush feature to it.  The stair tool is ideal for getting into the crevices that are found in stairs.  I would have liked to have seen more attachments but I do feel as though I have everything to do the job.

The Dyson DC25 Bagless Upright Cyclonic Vacuum has a five year warranty that begins the day of purchase.  I have never had any problems with the machine so I am not able to give an assessment of the warranty coverage.  As per the owner's manual, if a problem occurs, Dyson can be contacted via phone to try and resolve the issue.  They state that the majority of the problems can be resolved in this method.  In the case this is not effective, they can arrange for a tech come out to your home or office within three days to fix the problem.

Final Thoughts
Overall, I would highly recommend this vacuum if it is within your price range.  This vacuum does leave a dent in the wallet and careful consideration should take place before purchasing this item.  It performs far superior than any vacuum I have owned and I feel that it was worth the extra money.  I can feel confident that my daughter is playing on a clean carpet and that the air is cleaner with the use of the HEPA filters.

Now that I have mastered the manipulation of the machine, the time to vacuum is nearly cut in half.

The Dyson DC25 Bagless Upright Cyclonic Vacuum can be located at most large retail stores that carry an appliance section.