Electrolux EW30GC55G Stainless Steel 30 in. Gas Gas Cooktop Reviews

Electrolux EW30GC55G Stainless Steel 30 in. Gas Gas Cooktop

$1,249.00
Free Shipping Abt Electronics

Poor design

Feb 6, 2011 (Updated Feb 7, 2011)
  • User Rating: Disappointing

Pros:nice looking

Cons:Unsafe design. Poor customer service.

The Bottom Line: I would not buy this unit and would avoid Electrolux in general

This cooktop came with our new home along with Electrolux fridge, DW, wall oven and mic. We have has issues with all of these except the mic. The cooktop looks nice but notice the front burners - these are the largest/hottest burners - the grate size is very small and oddly shaped. This is where you put the big pots for say boiling water n high for pasta. If you use the front right burner with a 10 or 12 inch pot - centred on the burner, the flames from the burner lap out and heat the control knob to the point of melting. Your choice is to wear a flame proof glove or set the pot off centre.  My wife has burnt her hand on more than one occasion and our control knob is a melted blob. To add to the poor design,  the back burners have big square grates away from the control knobs but this is where the small simmer burner situated. So not only can you burn your hand you have to reach OVER a large pot of boiling water to stir maybe a sauce simmering on the back burner. Further bad design is the cast iron grate - the tangs are not at 45 degree angles - maybe to make to look chiche BUT the hottest burner is your likely choice for a wok and wok rings expect those tangs to be at square angles, otherwise the wok ring cant seat properly and is unstable. I have contacted Electrolux Canada several times on this issue. I phoned the 1-800 # on Groudhog day and was told they were closed for the holiday - seriously. When I called the toll number I got a customer service rep who refused to even speak with me until I sent her evidence that the house was occupied less than 1 year ago. They want me to fax my home occupancy documents to prove warranty coverage. I tried to explain that this is not a warranty claim this is a product flaw and she kept insisting that I first prove I owned the home less than 12 months. To add insult - I have made 4 prior warranty claims so they have all that on file but she insisted she needed to create a new file and I needed to again fax my home occupancy papers. (the other claims - twice the control panel has blown on the oven (resulting in 8 weeks without an oven as the part was backordered) and twice the ice maker has stopped working in the fridge (a flaw that cannot be fixed - you have to manually cycle the ice maker on and off.) In the end electrolux's solution -- they want to send a rep out to replace the control knob. Elextrolux could not care less about the obvious safety hazard. We are not shopping for a new cooktop - one with controls away from the burners, the biggest burners at the back and big square grates. Bad design backed by indifferent, complicated service.

Professional-Grade Control Knobs/ Min-2-Max Burner/ Continuous Grates/ Dishwasher-Safe Grates/ Easy-To-Clean Cooktop Surface/ 18,000 BTU Sealed Power ...
Abt Electronics