Written: Aug 28, 2006 (Updated Aug 29, 2006)
a Somewhat Helpful Review
by the Epinions community
For $400 and change, I'd expect a vacuum to pull the pad out from under the carpet; this thing does.
O.K, I exaggerated a tad. We live in Japan 1/2 of the year and we have a hot little vacuum over there that does pull the pad through the carpet; but it was roughly $800.
Unfortunately, over here in the states a vacuum of that caliber weighs about as much as a VW bug, and costs twice as much. However this wonderful little 13lb monster comes close.
I personally prefer an upright, but the missus wanted one like our little 5lb Japanese Tasmanian devil. If you've shopped around, you'll notice that every canister vacuum available is a 25 lb nightmare. From Europe.
Although the bags are pricey, this is really a decent machine. It's lightweight, and powerful and fairly reliable. A worthwhile fact to note is that the more expensive the product - the more expensive the repair. So far our Electrolux has cost us $0, though I have heard that some people have had trouble. After 2 years, it's got about 200 hours under its belt (literally. I wouldnt hesitate to recommend this vacuum to anyone, especially if you want a canister vacuum that doesn't cost or weigh as much as a Bentley
...Should have mentioned:
It came with 4 attachments (bare floor, brush, crevice tool, and a small head for something), which sit in some sort of rack that attaches to the canister. I think. Since except for the crevice tool they are all useless, we've never attached them to the canister. The cord reels into the back and is really, really, really long. On the 25% of our home that is tight patterned Berber carpet, the vacuum performs fabulously; on the other 75% dark cherry hardwood (Oh Lord what a mistake), it does not. On the Hardwood the Swifter kills the Electrolux in the first round. And without being able to lock the power head in a "forward" position, doing the stairs would even drive the Dalai Lama into a rage. Apparently Electrolux offers a head for stairs.
Read all 26 Reviews
Write a Review
Amount Paid (US$): 450