Electrolux Ergorapido 1014A Convertible Stick Vacuum Cleaner Reviews

Electrolux Ergorapido 1014A Convertible Stick Vacuum Cleaner

ratings (2 Epinions reviews)

Electrolux Ergorapido - A Friend for Life

Dec 23, 2010 (Updated Dec 25, 2010)

Pros:No cord, reasonably quiet, cleans hard surfaces and rugs, easy to clean filter, no bags

Cons:Blue lights always on, no charge indicator, small dust bin, inconvenient attachment access

The Bottom Line: This vacuum is easy and convenient to use. It does a good job on hard floors and rugs, but I wish it had a charge status light.

Love comes in many forms, and I think I have finally found a vacuum cleaner of my dreams. This may not sound like a big deal, but I always have issues with the vacuum cleaners and carpet sweepers purchased over the years, that is until the Electrolux Ergorapido came into my life.

I don't have carpet in my house. I have hardwood, laminate and tile floors, and a number of area rugs. Large vacuum cleaners are overkill in my home. A Swiffer does a great job picking up dust and dust bunnies (I have two cats), but it doesn't do well with crumbs and is worthless on area rugs. My corded carpet sweeper can pick up crumbs, but the cord is short , there's no rotating brush to clean the rugs and the sweeper is loud. The Shark VX3 Cordless Floor and Carpet Sweeper I tried had no cord and did have a rotating brush, but with no suction, much of the dirt was blown across the room.

Because of my lack of success finding a decent floor-cleaning appliance, I decided to shop at Costco, knowing the store has  a great return policy. For $80 I purchased the Electrolux Ergorapido, an orange "Cordless 2-in-1 Stick and Hand Vac."

Getting Started

After pulling the Electrolux Ergorapido out of the box, little assembly was required. The two parts of the stick vac handle get pushed together and two screws get tightened. The hand vac, where the motor and filter are located, comes pre-mounted in the stick vac.

Also included is the charging station, which consists of two parts: a unit for wall mounting plus a floor base. If mounting on the wall, just use the wall unit. For a free-standing unit, insert the wall unit into the floor base. The power supply plugs into the bottom of either the wall-mounted unit or the base of the free-standing charging station. The power adapter plugs into any electric outlet. If using the floor unit and the full six feet of power cable is not needed, the excess cable can be pushed into a hollow space on the bottom of the unit. Brush and crevice attachments for the handheld vacuum component are stored in the wall unit.

Charging

To charge the Electrolux Ergorapido, just slide the opening in the back of the stick vac (with the hand vac installed) down over the finger in the charging station, making sure the power cord is attached and plugged into an outlet. When properly mounted, blue lights glow  on each side of the wall-unit portion of the charging station. These lights do not indicate the charge -- they are annoyingly always on when the entire vac is inserted into the charging unit.

The Ergorapido's instructions say it takes up to 24 hours to fully charge the unit the first time. I used my unit for a few minutes after charging it for about four hours. Future charges are supposed to take 15-20 hours, but with no charge indicator, there is no way to verify this claim.

Using the Vacuum

The stick portion of the Electrolux Ergorapido has a two speed switch on the handle. Pushing in on the top edge provides "full power" and pushing in on the bottom edge delivers "intermediate power." Area rugs are cleaned best with full power, but the reduced power works fine on hard surfaces. Regardless of the speed, the rotating brush spins. The Electrolux website lists the weight at 5.5 pounds and the unit does seem a bit heavy. Unfortunately batteries do add a substantial amount of weight to cordless appliances.

The flexible connection between the brush head and the stick allows both up-and-down and side-to-side movement. A light on the brush head indicates that the brush is rotating. If the light goes out, the brush roller should be cleaned. With the vac turned off, push in the button on the side of the brush head to release the cover over the end of the brush roller -- pull out the roller to remove any debris.

To use the Electrolux Ergorapido's handheld vacuum, push in on the two silver buttons on either side of the stick. The handheld vac handle will pop out and the unit can be removed. To use either the brush or the crevice attachment, firmly pull the tool out of the charging unit and insert the tool into the end of the handheld vac. When finished, remove the attachment and push it back into the charging unit. Reinstall the handheld vac into the stick by inserting the bottom first and then pressing in the handle. The unit is properly installed when the blue lights come on.

The handheld vac component has a single speed, but it works well for capturing the dirt in corners and on stairs. The Ergorapido's handheld unit makes short work of the dust that settles on vents in computers, TVs and cables snaked in corners.

Cleaning the Filter

Cleaning the Electrolux Ergorapido is easy. It can be done when the handheld unit is installed in the stick or when it has been separated from the larger unit. Squeeze the dark gray release buttons on either side of the handheld unit and the bottom of the dust bin will pop out. Pull out the dust bin and take it to a trash can. The dirt cannot be dumped until the filter is removed. To release the filter, squeeze the two orange buttons on top of the dust bin and pull the filter assembly upward. Dump the dust bin and clean the filter.

There is also a door on the front of the handheld unit that covers a round hole. Open the door and use the hose from another vacuum cleaner to suck the dirt and dust out of the dust bin. Though this is a quick way to clean the dust bin, it seems counter-productive to use one vacuum to clean another.

The instructions recommend cleaning the fine filter every third cleaning. Pull and release the orange handle in the middle of the filter five or six times. This compresses and releases a spring, which shakes dust off the filter. Every fifth cleaning, the fine filter should be removed from the pre-filter and all both should be shaken clean or rinsed with water. To separate the filters, squeeze the filter release handles and pull the two filters apart. Make sure all parts are thoroughly dry before reassembly.

Conclusion

A nice benefit of the Electrolux Ergorapido is that it is not nearly as noisy as a full-size vacuum cleaner, and it causes less terror in the hearts of my cats. Ergonomically, its height lets me stand and vacuum in a comfortable position. One downside is that the dust bin is pretty small -- one pass through my small home, and the dust cup was completely filled.

I've had the Electrolux Ergorapido for about a week and have used it many times to pick up crumbs, dust bunnies and other dirt. Most uses last only a few minutes. To test the battery, I tried to clean the whole house, but didn't quite succeed. After 18 minutes of using the vac, mostly on high power, it became quite anemic. Another five minutes of use would have been perfect, but for an inexpensive cordless vac it did an admirable job.

So far I am very pleased with the Electrolux Ergorapido. It has picked up all the dirt put before it. The noise level is not bad enough to make the cats flee the room. Most important, it is convenient to use. Only time will tell if this is just an infatuation, or if it turns out to be a long-time love.

Electrolux Ergorapido Brushroll Clean 2-in-1 Stick/Handheld Vacuum 12V Cordless, EL1061A

The Ergorapido Brushroll Clean removes tangled hair with the touch of a button; just press for 10-15 secondspet and human hair that accumulates on bru...
Electrolux EL1061A Ergorapido Brushroll Clean Bagless 2-in-1 Stick/Hand Vacuum

Electrolux EL1061A Ergorapido Brushroll Clean Bagless 2-in-1 Stick/Hand Vacuum

Electrolux Ergorapido Brushroll Clean Bagless 2-in-1 Stick/Hand Vacuum - EL8807A. Dusting Brush. Crevice Tool. Charging Stand
CPO Electrolux

Product Details Removes Tangled Hair Brushroll Clean Technology Combo Stick Vac LED Highlight Tools Included SKU: ADIB007FEYKPK
Electrolux Ergorapido Stick And Hand Vacuum - EL1022A

Electrolux Ergorapido Stick And Hand Vacuum - EL1022A

2-In-1 Tool/ 12 Volts of PowerMotorized Brush-Roll/ 2-Position Switch/ LED Headlight/ Crevice Tool & Dusting Brush/ No-Touch Dust Cup/ 180-Degree Swiv...
Abt Electronics

Electrolux El1061a Ergorapido Brushroll Clean 2-in-1 Cordless Stick Vacuum

Electrolux El1061a Ergorapido Brushroll Clean 2-in-1 Cordless Stick Vacuum

The Electrolux ErgoRapido ShearClean EL1061A is the most powerful and versatile stick vacuum available today. The perfect cordless vacuum for your ins...

Electrolux ErgoRapido Ultra 2 In1 Stick Vacuum EL1022A

Electrolux ErgoRapido Ultra 2 In1 Stick Vacuum EL1022A

The lightweight Electrolux Ergorapido Ultra stick vacuum EL1022A is a great choice for quick cleaning of your bare floors as well as using as a hand v...
Electrolux Ergorapido Vacuum

Electrolux Ergorapido Vacuum

Find vacuums and power floor sweepers at Target.com! Clean hardwood floors, carpeted floors and multi-surface floors with the ergorapido from electrol...

Electrolux EL1014A Ergorapido 2-in-1 Stick/Hand Vac

Electrolux EL1014A Ergorapido 2-in-1 Stick/Hand Vac

Say I do to your vacuum with no strings attached! Cordless and always ready to clean, the bagless stick/handheld vacuum from Electrolux removes dirt a...
Macys.com

Electrolux EL1014A Ergorapido Bagless 2-in-1 Stick/Hand Vacuum (Tangerine)

Electrolux EL1014A Ergorapido Bagless 2-in-1 Stick/Hand Vacuum (Tangerine)

Experience the Electrolux EL1014A 2-in-1 Bagless Stick Vacuum for quick cleaning with no strings attached. Whether you use it as a stick vac or a hand...

Electrolux Vacuum. Ergorapido 2-in-1 Cordless Stick and Handheld EL1014A

Electrolux Vacuum. Ergorapido 2-in-1 Cordless Stick and Handheld EL1014A

Shop for Appliances at The Home Depot. Ergorapido offers the 2-in-1 cleaning maneuverability of a lightweight stick vacuum with the convenience and ea...
Home Depot