Emerson Radio Corporation CKS9031

The Emerson Smart Set Clock Radio (CKS9031) is Smarter than my Smart TV!

Mar 1, 2012

• Sound:

Pros:Large, LED time display
Three alarm modes
Two separate alarms
Battery Back Up
Automatic time settings

Cons:Poor radio audio reception

The Bottom Line: If you need an alarm clock radio with a variety of settings, I highly recommend the Emerson Smart Set Dual Alarm Clck Radio (Model CKS9031).

My Emerson Smart Set Dual Alarm Clock Radio (Model #CKS9031) must be a tad smarter than my new 60” LED Smart TV.  Even though the TV has many “smart” features including Wi-Fi, it doesn’t have a date and time display!

Being I had no other clock in my great room, I needed to find a clock with a large enough time display to view from across the room.  I chose the Emerson Smart Set Clock Radio due to the large LED, time/day display.

Set Up:

The Emerson Smart Set Clock Radio is so smart, that when plugged into an AC outlet, it automatically displays the correct year, month, date, day, and time for the Eastern Time Zone.  If you live in another time zone, the default setting may be changed.

To change the default time zone setting, you have to press the “time zone button”.  A “#2” will appear in the display, which is the default setting.  While holding the time zone button, you must press “Set>” or “Set<” until the correct time zone appears, at which time you would release both buttons.  The new time zone will now be the default setting.

The Emerson Smart Set Clock Radio provides seven different time zones:  Eastern Time (default setting), Atlantic Time, Central Time, Mountain Time, Pacific Time, Yukon Time and Hawaiian Time.

Description:

The sides and back of the clock are black in color and the front is a pewter-gray.  The LED screen displays the time in large, blue digital numbers as well as the day of the week, AM or PM, alarms 1 or 2 and a low battery indicator.

The clock measures 8” in length, 3/5” high, and 4.25” deep.  The display measures 5.50” in length, 2.25” high, with the numbers being 1.4” in height.  The entire clock is made of plastic.

The left side panel, from back to front,  has a display/dimmer switch, Alarm 2 (Radio/Buzzer/Off) switch and Alarm 1 (Radio/Buzzer/Off) switch.  The right side panel has radio settings of a tuning control, AM/FM switch, and a volume control switch.

This clock radio has three alarm modes:  Every day, Weekdays only, or Weekends only.  There are two alarms that can be set at different times if you and your better half are to awaken at different times.  The FM antenna is built into the power cord.

The Emerson Smart Set Clock Radio has a Sure Alarm Battery Back-Up System which operates the alarm by a lithium battery which is included with the clock.  If there is a power outage before your designated wake up time, a mini-buzzer will activate automatically and buzz for 30 seconds and then shut off.  No more excuses for being late to work during a power outage!

The top of the clock radio consists of a half-moon section with buttons to set the time, date, time zone, alarms one or two, a radio on-off button, a sleep to music timer, and a snooze button.  The speakers are also situated on the top of the clock.

How To Operate:

To awaken to the sound of the radio, you must turn the radio on to set the station and volume level you wish to hear upon awakening.  Then, turn the radio to the “off” position and set the wake up times and alarm modes for either Alarm 1 or Alarm 2.  You may also program the Sleep Timer to play the radio while falling to sleep for up to 90 minutes and then it will automatically shut off.

To awaken by the sound of a buzzer, set one or both alarms to the buzzer position.  At the selected wake-up time, the buzzer will sound softly and gradually increase in volume until turned off.

My Experience:

Now that I’ve explained how the clock radio and alarm works, I do have to tell you I am not planning to use this clock as an alarm, but only to see the time in a large LED display.  It is setting atop one of the shelves on my TV stand.  I do play the radio from time to time; however, I always experience unacceptable audio reception and it is difficult to fine tune.

However, if I ever have the need to use this device as an alarm clock, I have the knowledge and experience to do so.

My Take:

As a clock for seeing the time in a large, digital LED display, or to be used as an efficient alarm clock for waking up on time, the Emerson Smart Set Dual Alarm Clock Radio (Model #CKS9031) is a winner.  As far as a radio is concerned, I would have hoped for better quality of audio and reception.

Cost:

I purchased this clock radio at Sears for the retail price of $ 21.00.

The clock is made in China.

Thank you for reading my review.

Emerson Smartset Alarm Clock Radio (cks1702) Free Shipping

Emerson Smartset Alarm Clock Radio (cks1702) Free Shipping

Emerson SmartSet Alarm Clock Radio (CKS1702) FREE SHIPPING NEW SmartSet single alarm AM/FM clock radio with battery backup Automatically adjusts for D...

Emerson SmartSet Alarm Clock Radio (CKS1702)

Feature: Color: Silver Brand Name : Emerson Model : CKS1702 Tuner Technology : Y Item Height : 2.8 inches Item Length : 5.59 inches See more technical...

Emerson SmartSet Alarm Clock Radio (CKS1702)

Emerson Dual Alarm AM/FM SmartSet Clock Radio (CKS9031)

Emerson Dual Alarm AM/FM SmartSet Clock Radio (CKS9031)

Product Details AM/FM Radio with Digital Frequency Display Tuning Rotary Tuning and Volume Controls Slide Controls for Band and Alarm Mode Selection O...
Emerson Smartset Alarm Clock Radio (cks1702), New, Free Shipping

Emerson Smartset Alarm Clock Radio (cks1702), New, Free Shipping

Listing Payment Shipping Handling Returns Exchanges Store Contact Payment We want to ensure that all of our buyers are offered all the benefits that e...

Emerson Radio Corp. Cks1708 Smartset Radio Alarm Clock Led

Emerson Radio Corp. Cks1708 Smartset Radio Alarm Clock Led

Emerson Radio Corp. Cks1708 Smartset Radio Alarm Clock Led - Main Features: Emerson CKS1708 Smartset PLL Radio Alarm Clock with 1.4 Blue LED - Digital...
EMERSON RADIO CKS1708 - SmartSet Desktop Clock Radio - Mono

EMERSON RADIO CKS1708 - SmartSet Desktop Clock Radio - Mono

SmartSet Desktop Clock Radio - Mono MPN: CKS1708 Brand: EMERSON RADIO

EMERSON RADIO CORP. CKS1708 SMARTSET RADIO ALARM CLOCK LED
EMERSON RADIO SmartSet Radio Alarm Clock LED (CKS1708)

EMERSON RADIO SmartSet Radio Alarm Clock LED (CKS1708)

SmartSet Radio Alarm Clock LED MPN: CKS1708
Emerson Radio CKW2000 Dual Alarm Clock Radio with NOAA/Same Weather Alert System (Black)

This item has been refurbished by the manufacturer. The CKW2000 dual alarm clock radio by Emerson keeps you in the know with its NOAA weather alert sy...