Emetrol for Nausea Cherry Flavor Syrup: It DOES Cure the Nausea...

Nov 11, 2004

Pros:I didn't have to deal with the lemon-mint

Cons:All it did was hasten the inevitable.

The Bottom Line: The Bottom Line was impressed with how quickly the Emetrol worked.

Bless my little children's hearts. Each and every one of them made me sicker than a buffet eater after a bad batch of Hollandaise sauce when I was pregnant, from Beanie on through to number last, Bug. When I was pregnant with Bug, I spent most of my day taking care of two toddler and walking around with a garbage can, with Beanie asking why Mommy kept "spitting" into the can. Wanting to function rather than survive, I called my obstetrician begging and pleading for some help, and she suggested Emetrol for Nausea Cherry Flavor Syrup.

::: It's on the Shelf :::

Emetrol for Nausea Cherry Flavor Syrup is available wherever you find antacids and other tummy-tickling over-the-counter medications like Pepto Bismol. It's not hard to miss in its merry (and deceiving) rainbow-themed box. According to the masochists, er, makers, Pfizer, it comes in 4 ounce and 8 ounce sizes, as well as another flavor, lemon mint, which makes me nauseous just thinking about the combination of lemon and mint on an upset tummy.

Regardless, the theory behind Emetrol for Nausea Cherry Flavor Syrup is that apparently massive amounts of sugar will cure the queasies. Active ingredients in each 5 ml (1 tsp.) dose are dextrose (glucose), 1.87 g; levulose (fructose), 1.87 g; and phosphoric acid, 21.5 g. Inactive ingredients in the cherry flavor are FD&C red No. 40, flavors, glycerin, methylparaben and purified water.

For children, the dose is one teaspoon, for adults, one to two, up to every 15 minutes until nausea subsides, not exceeding five doses (one hour).

::: Emetrol, Puke, Emetrol, Puke :::

Desperate for something, anything, I sent my husband to the store for the Emetrol for Nausea Cherry Flavor Syrup since I'd been nauseous and vomiting all day with "morning" sickness. I immediatly poured a dose into one of the children's medicine cups, and downed it. Thanks to the sugar and the glycerin, Emetrol for Nausea Cherry Flavor Syrup is a viscous, sicky-sweet cherry that I can tell you tastes pretty much the same coming back up as it does going down. No sooner did the sugary slime hit bottom than up it came.

I thought maybe I'd swallowed it too quickly, and tried it again about an hour later, but sure enough, same thing happened. In that respect, it did cure the nausea by making me vomit, but that wasn't my game plan.

::: Recommendation :::

Based on my personal experience, I definitely wouldn't recommend Emetrol for Nausea Cherry Flavor Syrup for anyone, especially pregnant women. While it does say that if you are pregnant or nursing, you should check with your doctor, my Tylenol-only OB/GYN practice had this on their list of "safe" things during pregnancy. Too bad it didn't work.