Epson Perfection V500 Flatbed Scanner Reviews

Epson Perfection V500 Flatbed Scanner

I can't afford a better slide scanner, but I can't imagine any scanner being better

Dec 25, 2007

Pros:4 slides at once- good time saver for non-pro use Fantastic value for cost.

Cons:None yet

The Bottom Line: Don't bother with an expensive slide scanner unless you work for a museum. For home use, this thing is perfect.

I have read many reviews on the high priced, function specific scanners for 35mm slides. A common issue is that it would take months to scan in a large collection. This inexpensive bit of 'perfection' scans 4 slides at a time. This cuts your time at a computer significantly. I for one am thankful!

I have been using it for 4 days now, so I can't comment on its longevity, but I can rave about its quality. It will scan your slides (or negatives, or photos) at up to 1200 dpi. However, at 300dpi I had an image large enough to fill my 18" computer screen with no noticeable pixels. For my purposes, this is more than adequate. I will be archiving the slides and if I ever need to print one out to the size of a house, I will just re-scan it at a higher setting.

My scanning routine:
1) Gently & quickly buff both surfaces of slide with microfiber/camera lens cloth.
2) Dust each surface with 1-2 puffs of compressed gas duster.
3) Scan at 400dpi with dust remover on.

It may seem like extra/excessive work, but I run through the first 2 steps on a whole box of slides in the time it takes to scan the first 4. The digital dust remover is fantastic, but the slides I'm working with were not stored properly, and its nice to get the larger bits of dust/hair off before sending them through the scanner and tucking them away for long term storage.

Each scan takes about 4-6 minutes for 4 slides, which compared to the reviews for the single function scanners, is practically lightening speed (plus you don’t need to stick around to put every slide in).

Interface: USB

The Epson Perfection V500 Photo offers extraordinary quality and versatility with 6400 dpi resolution and an earth-friendly LED light source for great...

Perfection V500 Flatbed Scanner - 48-bit Color - 16-bit Grayscale - USB MPN: B11B210201
Extraordinary quality for photos and documents. Offering extraordinary quality and versatility, the Epson Perfection V500 Office is the perfect choice...
PCNation