Epson MovieMate 30s LCD Projector Reviews

Epson MovieMate 30s LCD Projector

Take your own movie theater on vacation!

Feb 7, 2007 (Updated Feb 8, 2007)

• Reliability:
  • Display Quality:

Pros:Ease of set up, portability, picture quality, sound quality.

Cons:Visible grid if you sit too close.

The Bottom Line: It is an absolute miracle that you can have your own portable movie theater of this quality for this price.

My wife and I went on a cruise recently. At the last minute I panicked, knowing how much we depend on our home theater and bedroom plasma for comfort and diversion.

I happened to see this Moviemate 33s at Sam's Club two days before the trip, and snatched it up. I tried it out the day before we left to learn the ropes and boy was I surprised!

We watch High Definition over the air and satellite programs and movies all the time. I can't hardly stand to watch standard definition anymore. So I was a little nervous about the 480p resolution. But when I got it fired up, NO PROBLEM. The ratio of pixels to the screen size is just right. If you don't have your nose on the screen, it looks smooth, contrasty, colorful and lush. I was grinning like a fool. With the 20" TV sitting right next to it, the difference was laughable. How miserable would we have been watching that postage stamp and not being able to watch what we wanted?

The 33s comes with the projector (which houses the DVD player and the main speakers too) a small subwoofer and the slickest screen you have ever seen.

The screen has its own integral case and expands to 80 inches diagonally. That's HUGE in a hotel room or a bedroom. It even comes with a bracket to mount it on the wall.

If you set it to "theater" the colors and contrast are perfect. If you can see the pixels, you are either a little too close (so back up) or you have it focused a little too tight (you don't have to focus it so it makes the grid extremely clear and obvious - a tiny bit softer focus and it still looks great from a close viewing distance). When I move back to where the grid doesn't show, it is still proportionately the same size as my 10 foot screen, so it looks huge.

Set up is really easy because of the vertical and horizontal lens shift and the ability to fill the screen from only 6.5 feet away. It also has a great remote.

The picture is just beautiful and the sound system, with the built in "satellites" and super subwoofer is killer. Great sound. And it even plays CD's if you just want music.

The coolest thing is that it has a SLEEP TIMER. Perfect for nodding off to. There is also this neat "coffe break" button that pauses the movie and lets the picture fade to white, so you can see to run an errand without turning on the lights. Hit the button again and it dims down and the movie starts.

There is also a VGA input and a Component adapter, so you can plug in your computer or any High Definition signal source, which this thing will process and display.

I'm never going on a vacation without it. It saved our lives.

For added perspective, about 7 years ago, right before I bought my first projector for home theater, I was looking at and lusting after a huge rear projection "Big Screen" TV. It retailed for $10,000. Its screen size was 80 inches diagonal. I almost bought it, but in doing my research I found out about home theater front projection. I spent half the money and got a 100" screen which had a much clearer picture. This little Moviemate has a far better picture than that $10,000 box ever did.

Think about setting it up on the pool deck on a perfect evening!

Purchase Price (if leased, monthly payment): 995

Epson MovieMate LCD LCD Projector - 720p - HDTV - 16:10

Epson MovieMate LCD LCD Projector - 720p - HDTV - 16:10

Experience the ultimate versatility in widescreen, high-definition home entertainment with Epson MovieMate 85HD, a powerful projector, DVD and music p...
Office Depot

Epson Moviemate 85hd Lcd Projector 1.58 - Ntsc, Pal, Secam - Hdtv - (v11h412020)

Enjoy theater-like movie watching experience with the MovieMate 85HD projector featuring built-in DVD player. The widescreen 1280x800 resolution offer...

Epson Vs330 Lcd Projector - Hdtv - 4:3 - F/1.58 - 1.72 - 1024 X 768 (v11h555220)

Browse our Store | Ask a Question | Return Policy | Promotions | About Us Product Description Specification Payment Shipping Returns Epson Vs330 Lcd P...

EPSON PowerLite 1955 3LCD Projector

EPSON PowerLite 1955 3LCD Projector

Cabinet Color White Aspect Ratio Native 43 Contrast Ratio 30001 Display Size 30 to 300 Lens Manual zoom / focus f Number 1.51 - 1.99 Focal Length 18.2...
Newegg.com

Epson V11H490020 PowerLite 1955 LCD projector

Epson PowerLite 1955 - LCD projector - 4500 lumens - 1024 x 768 - 4:3 - 802.11g/n wireless / LAN
PCM

MacMall
Epson VS350W LCD Projector - 16:10

Epson VS350W LCD Projector - 16:10

Bright Performance in a Widescreen WXGA ProjectorThe Epson VS350W delivers ultra bright high-definition widescreen performance in any setting. Its 16:...
Office Depot

Epson Powerlite 1771w Lcd Projector - Hdtv - 16:10

Epson Powerlite 1771w Lcd Projector - Hdtv - 16:10

This Epson multimedia projector is useful and appealing, and it is created for hobbyists wanting to upgrade their presentations. This LCD multimedia ...