Equate Value Priced Gas Relief Softgels

Feb 24, 2011

Pros:Help neutralize gas quickly and reduces the pain of gas, cheaper than name brands

Cons:None

The Bottom Line: I love saving money, and these are as good as the more expensive Gas-X brand.  They work!

Several years ago I was dealing with digestive problems.  I had hunger like pains in my stomach that didn't go away after eating.  I thought maybe I had an ulcer, but I think it was actually a result of excess gas.

A nurse friend of mine told me about a medication called simethicone, which is the active ingredient in Gas-X and other medications found over the counter.  When the Gas-X worked for me, I felt it would be a good medicine to have in our medicine cabinet at all times.

However, now I save money by purchasing simethicone in the store brands, such as this Equate Extra Strength Gas Relief Softgels.  The box contains 72 softgels which come in a silver foil sheet.  You simply push them through the foil and swallow with a glass of water.  The softgels are small, soft, green oval pearls that are very easy to swallow.

When I get gas pains I immediately turn to some form of medication that contains simethicone.  They generally start to work within 30 minutes, so they work fast.

Each softgel contains 125 mg of simethicone, the same dosage in Gas-X Extra Strength.  However, the Equate brand, found at Walmart stores, can be as much as 50% cheaper than the name brand anti-gas products on the market today.

It claims to relieve not only gas, but the bloating, fullness and pressure that comes with gas.  If gas is your problem, this stuff works!  Simethicone is the same ingredient in Mylicon drops that doctors recommend for babies who are dealing with gas, and as a new grandmother I can attest to their ability to help with excess gas in infants.

The directions on the box say to take 1 to 2 softgels as needed after meals and at bedtime, but you should not take more than 4 of them in a 24 hour period.

Equate also makes their gas relief medication in a chewable form, which I like to put in my purse so I have it when I am away from home.  The chewable tabs are more expensive, but they actually work a bit faster.

After spending good money on Gas-X for several years, I am glad that the store brands like Equate are coming out with a lower priced version.  The box even states "Compare to Gas-X Extra Strength active ingredient".

For excess gas, I highly recommend Equate Gas Relief Softgels.  The 72 count box retails for around $6.00 and the product has a long shelf life.