-15%
Equate - Tussin DM - Compare to Robitussin DM - Cough Suppressant/Expectorant Syrup, 8 Fluid Ounce Reviews

+$4.97 shipping Walmart.com

Equate Tussin DM Review

Aug 3, 2011 (Updated Aug 3, 2011)

Pros:Much cheaper than name brands, helps control a cough

Cons:Did not relieve chest congestion

The Bottom Line: A good cough syrup, but it didn't relieve my chest congestion.  A very good value.

Our family has been dealing with a lot of colds, sinus issues, and seasonal allergies this summer.  After not feeling well for several days I finally went to our family doctor due to my cough, sore throat and ear pain.

She said my ears looked fine, and her final diagnosis was that I had a mycoplasma bacteria.  She placed me on an antibiotic and gave me benzocaine ear drops for my ear pain.  She also recommended a cough medication and cough drops for my cough since the cough was probably contributing to my sore throat.

Our home is full of store brand products, from food to cosmetics to medications.  I find the Equate brand (sold at Walmart stores) a great buy, and just as effective as the more expensive name brand medications.

Equate Tussin DM compares itself to Robitussin DM as far as active ingredients go.  Equate comes in a 4 ounce plastic container with a child proof cap.  The box also contains a small plastic cup to measure the correct dosage.

The Equate version is a thick pink colored liquid, and it has a medicine like flavor, not really the cherry that I expected from the picture on the box.  The active ingredients are dextromethorphan HBr (10 mg), which is a cough suppressant and guaifenesin (100 mg), which is an expectorant.

Equate Tussin DM claims to relieve cough and chest congestion, and is free of alcohol, so it is also an alternative for children 2 years of age and up.  The product also claims to relieve a cough temporarily, as well as help to loosen and thin the mucus so coughs are more productive.

Walmart sells this product for around $2.30, which is almost half of the cost of Robitussin DM.  Since both products include the same active ingredients, why would I pay the higher price?

Overall, I am pleased with this medication.  It does help stop a cough during the day, and it starts to work within 15 minutes.  It didn't really help as much with a cough when I had that nagging tickle in the middle of the night.

I didn't notice it as effective as an expectorant, but that might be because it doesn't contain as much guaifenesin as Mucinex does.  My box of Mucinex actually has 600 mg of guaifenesin, six times as much as the Equate brand.

If you are looking for a cough syrup to help control a cough during the day, I would recommend the Equate brand.  It does provide temporary relief from a cough, and it can be taken every 4 hours.  I would not recommend it as a stand alone medication to relieve chest congestion.

Temporarily relieves cough due to minor throat and bronchial irritation that may occur with a cold and helps loosen phlegm (mucus) and thin bronchial ...