Espresso Cup And Saucer Set

Molto Bellini - Fancy that!

Oct 18, 2006 (Updated Oct 21, 2006)

Pros:a special size cup and saucer is needed for espresso coffee

Cons:none

The Bottom Line: One cup and saucer is a must have for serving espresso coffee.

If you've read my espresso coffeemaker review, and like espresso or wish to serve it to those that enjoy it, you will need a special cup and saucer to serve the espresso in. Espresso cups are also known as demitasse cups. The cups may come with a wider brim and short or not so wide and slightly taller. You should also have the special demitasse spoons since the cups are small. Everything about espresso is miniaturized.

Since espresso is served in a special 3 ounce size cup, I only pour less than 2 ounces. It's never poured to the rim. I leave enough room for the person to add a sugar cube or a touch of milk if they wish. Along with the special size cup and saucer, it's usually appropriate to use demitasse spoons which are dainty and sized for the cup and saucer. Cappuccino is served in a 6 oz cup.

When purchasing a cup and saucer for espresso, you have many styles and colors to choose from. I have 2 sets which luckily I didn't have to purchase. They are so delicate and petite, it's too elegant to allow children near them. My cup has a gold handle which your finger cannot go through. They are mostly made to hold the handle. On the bottom is a low pedestal all in gold and above it is white with gold small pictures going all around. It states on the bottom "Mitterteick Bavaria". These I hand wash and immediately put away.

You can spend as little as a couple of dollars for a set or you can buy 1 cup and saucer for several hundred dollars. There's one cup and saucer on ebay starting bid for $75 which is a fine porcelain, hand painted and it's gorgeous. I also checked out some fine china and a set of eight Vintage Bavarian can cost around $695. To check out some of the Bavarian fine china, take a peek at -
http://www.antiquepeek.com/Bavaria.htm -.I love sumptuous elegance when setting my dinner table for company.

There are many fine china unique designs to choose from. It is expensive but it's elegant with very magnificent artwork. I treasure my pieces. Most fine china demitasse cups are not intended to have your finger through the handle, but to hold in a delicate fashion by holding the handle. The handles are shaped with much detail on each.

Reality check.
Not everyone can afford expensive china. Hence, on to espresso cups (demitasse) that are reasonable and can be purchased at retail stores or online. I went to a wedding in March where everyone received a set of 2 cups and saucers on a stand. I was really happy to have received this gift since I was beginning to use my espresso maker and didn't want to use my fine china for casual use. This cup stands a little taller than my other cup, is heavier and my index finger just fits through the handle. It has the word "cafe, coffee, cappuccino, caffe and cafe" all around the cup with brown, black and white squares with different pictures of a cup to go with each coffee word. It's real cute. I can wash this without being afraid of chipping it like fine china. Unfortunately, I didn't go to the bridal shower or I would have received the espresso maker they gave out to all that attended.

I usually get a token gift at weddings that are just normal but this wedding favor becomes useful and memorable more so than the usual token gifts you might get at any wedding. When I opened the gift wrapped box, I was really impressed with the unusual gift I received and so had to check the bottom of the cup. On the bottom it says "Casa Elite, Home Collections". So I went online and researched those words. What I found was a website that deals strictly with favors you give out at parties. Unfortunately, they don't sell only 1 item or I would have registered and made some purchases because the prices are reasonable. All favors come in a gift box and shipping prices are based on the total amount rather than weight. My set was a "Latte Collection" cup and saucer set with stand.

While, at this time I have no need to place an order since you must order at least 12 of each item, this makes a very useful gift which is a 5 star quality. The cost for each of this espresso set is $4.25. If you know someone that will be buying favors for a memorable event, you can visit them at link below. I wish I had known about this site when I needed favors, but I thought I'd share a reasonable way to buy favors which included espresso products.

In conclusion
Since Vespress sells espresso coffeemakers for 1 serving, it's appropriate to have only 1 cup and saucer.

I like to have 2 types of dinnerware for casual use and a better formal china when I have my company in the dining room for special occasions. That's when I take out my special tablecloths and stemware. Since not everyone drinks espresso, it's not necessary to have a complete set. But I do like to display my fine china in my china cabinet along with other collectible items. Therefore, only one set (cup and saucer) is needed. Most of the better porcelain imported demitasse cups are sold individually since they're so expensive and some are hand decorated with scalloped edges.

Expensive china can be a collectors items. The best is imported from Australia, Germany, England and some other European countries. But fine china does holds it's value if not chipped and kept in good condition. I like checking some out on ebay from time to time to see the value.

You don't have to be Rich and Famous to give as a gift or get a collector's cup and saucer for yourself of hand painted porcelain china to enjoy an espresso.

For your regular everyday demitasse cups and saucers, they are available at most retail houseware stores and also online. With a little research, you can locate a special set online with specific colors and styles to fit your lifestyle.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
(to check out the cup and saucer)
y_Code=

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
(For online Favors)

Le Creuset Stoneware Set Of 2 Espresso Cups & Saucers Cherry Red Coffee/tea

Le Creuset Stoneware Set of 2 Espresso Cups Saucers Cherry Red Coffee/Tea NEW Store About Us Shipping Policy FAQs Contact Info Le Creuset Stoneware S...

Le Creuset Stoneware Set Of 2 Espresso Cups & Saucers Cherry Red Coffee/tea

Le Creuset PG80010967 Cafe Collection Espresso Cup and Saucer Set (Cherry) Home About Us Feedback FAQ Contact Us Add our store to your favorites and...

Red Vanilla Trends Espresso Cup/ Saucer Set (Pack of 6) (Red Vanilla Trends Espresso Cup/Saucer 3oz Set/6) White

This Red Vanilla set compliments any occasion. The durable espresso cup comes with a matching saucer to prevent rings and spills, and it is dishwasher...
Overstock.com

Le Creuset Stoneware Set Of 2 Espresso Cups And Saucers, Cherry

Le Creuset Stoneware Set Of 2 Espresso Cups And Saucers, Cherry

Le Creuset Stoneware Set of 2 Espresso Cups and Saucers, Cherry Product Description Inspired by the cafés and bistros of Europe, this pair of miniatur...

White Tie Espresso Cup and Saucer (Set of 4) - Mugs

White Tie Espresso Cup and Saucer (Set of 4) - Mugs

White Tie Espresso Cup and Saucer (Set of 4) - 94173 Features: -Cups and saucers.-Material: Porcelain.-Dishwasher, microwave, freezer and oven safe. C...
Mikasa Elegance White Espresso Cup & Saucer Set, Fine China Dinnerware - Elegance, All White, Square Shape

Mikasa - Mikasa Elegance White Espresso Cup & Saucer Set - Elegance, All White, Square Shape
Replacements, Ltd.

Set of 6 Espresso Cups & Saucers

Set of 6 Espresso Cups & Saucers

Enhance your next get-together or any occasion at all with this ceramic espresso set, consisting of six 7 ounce cups with saucers. This set features o...
Boscovs.com

Mara Espresso Cup and Saucer Set

Mara Espresso Cup and Saucer Set

Perfect for sipping espresso, this beautiful hand-painted set is bursting with Italian charm. Whether entertaining guests or serving afternoon espress...
Sur La Table

Konitz Coffee Bar Espresso Cups & Saucers, Set of 4

Konitz Coffee Bar Espresso Cups & Saucers, Set of 4

Konitz sturdy porcelain cups and saucers are specially designed for savoring your favorite hot beverages.

Lenox Solitaire Espresso Cup and Saucer Set

Lenox Solitaire Espresso Cup and Saucer Set

For nearly 150 years, Lenox has been known throughout the world as a premier designer and manufacturer of fine china. The Solitaire espresso cup and s...
Macys.com