Estée Lauder Double Matte Oil-Control Makeup SPF 15 Reviews

Estée Lauder Double Matte Oil-Control Makeup SPF 15

Battling The Oily Skin Curse With Estee Lauder's Double Matte Oil-Control Makeup

Oct 26, 2001 (Updated May 28, 2002)

Pros:Good coverage, matte finish

Cons:ORANGE, doesn't control oily shine very well, pricey, do NOT use on dry skin

The Bottom Line: This makeup would be good for someone with moderately oily skin. Make sure they have a color match that isn't orange on you like it was on me!

***Update May 2002***
I used this foundation for several months after writing this review. I realized it was orange on my skin. Yes, I looked like a pumpkin, and it wasn't Halloween. It has good coverage, it has a matte finish, but the coloring is awful. If you can find a color match better than what I found, have at it! Also, I found that after using this for a while, it didn't control my oily shine anymore. I guess I'd still recommend this makeup, but with hesitation. I won't use it again.. I've moved on to bigger and MUCH better things... like Prescriptives makeup. They color match you unlike ANY other cosmetic company, and their makeup for oily skin is AWESOME. Do yourself a favor and visit Prescriptives, or find a makeup that isn't ORANGE on your skin!

*********************************************************

My oily skin leaves me on an ongoing quest for a makeup that will control and/or hide my shiny, oily skin. Upon my recent trip to the Estee Lauder counter, I decided to try the Double Matte Oil-Controlling Makeup. How could I go wrong with this one? It’s Estee Lauder and it’s “oil-controlling” so I should like it. Well so far, so good. I have been quite pleased with this makeup. So pleased that I decided to tell you all about it ...

Double Matte Oil-Controlling Makeup SPF 15

This foundation comes in a thick 1-ounce glass bottle that has a gold screw off top. The bottle is clear and shows the color of the foundation inside. This makeup is non-acnegenic, fragrance free, oil-free, Dermatologist tested and Ophthalmologist tested.

Even though it is fragrance-free, it does have a distinct smell to it. Not a ‘bad’ smell, but distinct.

It is available in 9 colors: Cool Ivory, Warm Bisque, Cool Fresco, Cool Dusk, Cool Pebble, Warm Sand, Warm Nutmeg, Warm Tawny and Cool Tan. (Warm Almond has been discontinued)

Ingredient listing: octyl methoxycinnamate (active ingredient), water purified, cyclomethicone, trimethylsiloxysilicate, phenyl trimethicone, octyl methoxycinnamate, butylene glycol, silica, dimeticone copolyol, polyglyceryl-3 diisostearate, magnesium sulfate, tribehenin, hydrolyzed soy protein, coconut acid, matricaria (chamomile) extract, nettle extract, balm mint extract, coltsfoot leaf extract, horsetail extract, horse chestnut extract, rosemary extract, sage extract, kaolin, propylene carbonate, methicone, triethyl citrate, quaternium-18, hectorite, laureth-7, cellulose gum, BHT, phenoxyethanol, chloroxylenol, methylparaben, may contain mica, titanium dioxide, iron oxides

I was rather impressed by all the ‘natural’ ingredients! And very glad that this is oil-free.

Estee Lauder’s Claims About Double Matte Oil-Controlling Makeup SPF 15

Here are Estee Lauder’s claims (from the bottle and packaging):

”This comfortable, long-wearing makeup gives skin a fresh, natural matte finish while providing maximum oil control – all day.

Medium coverage. Hours of stay true color that won’t smudge, fade or come off on clothes. An exclusive anti-irritant complex calms oily and blemish-prone skin.”

Directions for Application: ”Shake well. Smooth on with fingertips”

I do not use my fingertips to apply this makeup. I use a cosmetic sponge.

Personal Experience With Double Matte Oil-Controlling Makeup

When I apply it, I first make sure my face is clean and moisturized with an oil-free, oil-controlling lotion. I use a cosmetic sponge when applying this makeup. It is easy to smooth on and blend, but extra care is needed around the hairline. With its mattifying qualities, this makeup can easily cake up around the hairline if not careful. (Also, if you have a dry patch or anything like that, you need to use a GOOD moisturizer on that spot before applying this makeup. If you don’t, this makeup will cake onto the dry spot and cause it to flake. But using a good moisturizer on any dry spots will eliminate that problem, so don’t worry!)

This makeup does dry with a matte finish, and it provides medium coverage. It’s not too thick or heavy either, which I really like, but it does provide ample coverage. It helps to even out skin tone and smoothness. The matte finish is very noticeable and it does control the oily shine on my face for a little while. The only place that I will get some shine later is on my nose. However, this shine is not as bad as it has been with some other makeup(s) I have used. My skin is also clearer than it was before I started using this. I guess controlling the oil so well has diminished my blemishes. Though they were few, even one can be annoying! This makeup has not caused ANY problems with my skin.

This makeup lasts all day too. I can put it on first thing in the morning, and hours later (like in the evening) my makeup is still there and still looks good. I may have to deal with my oil by applying some powder, but the foundation is still there and looking good. It is also a stay true formula, and I have found this to be so. This makeup does not rub off easily on clothes or anything else. It stays put. That is a good thing.

My Likes and Dislikes

First here’s what I like about this makeup:

- Matte Finish
- Easy to apply
- Good coverage
- Clearer skin
- Contains SPF 15 for protection
- Only takes a little bit of product

Here are my dislikes:

- Sort of pricey at $28.50 a bottle (1 fluid-ounce)
- Still get a shiny nose after a few hours
- It's ORANGE on the skin! Not natural at all!

Recommendations

So to whom would I recommend this product to? To anyone that has oily or combination/oily skin. To anyone that likes a matte finish makeup. To anyone that has a problem with oil and shine after a few hours of wear. I would NOT recommend this makeup to anyone with dry skin. That would not be a good thing. If you have dry skin, Estee Lauder has other foundations that might work for you.

I recommend this foundation to anyone that fits the above criteria.

Purchasing Information

Estee Lauder products are available at any Estee Lauder counter. These counters are located in fine department stores such as Dillard’s, Proffit’s, Belk, Macy’s, Rich’s, Parisian, etc. If you are not sure where to find an Estee Lauder counter, you can go to their website and locate the nearest one. You can also purchase products from the website at www.esteelauder.com.

If you go to a store though, you can have the assistance of a personal consultant (who will help you with any and all skin care and makeup needs), and you can also purchase during Free Gift time. Free Gift time is when you receive a bag of neat goodies with a minimum purchase. The gifts usually consist of several sample freebies like lipsticks, eyeshadows, skincare products, mascara, fragrances, blushes, liners and always a cute makeup bag.

Estée Lauder Inc.
Corporate Headquarters
767 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10153
212-572-4200
www.esteelauder.com

Thanks so much for reading! ;-)

Coverage: Medium to heavy coverage

Estee Lauder Double Wear Lip Pencil - Wine 14

Estee Lauder Double Wear Lip Pencil - Wine 14

ESTEE LAUDER Double Wear Stay in Place Lip Pencil in Wine, .04 ESTEE LAUDER Double Wear Lip Pencil - Wine 14 POLICIES: First and Foremost, THANK YOU f...

Estee Lauder 'Double Wear Light' Stay-in-Place Makeup

Free Shipping + 3 Free Beauty Samples! Long-wear makeup is now lightweight makeup. Goes on sheer and controls oil leaving skin free to breathe all day...
Nordstrom

Estee Lauder Double Wear Light Stay-in-Place Makeup - Beige

15-hour wear, light as air; long-wear makeup is now lightweight makeup. Goes on sheer, leaves skin free to breathe all day. Controls oil. Resists smud...
Saks Fifth Avenue

ESTEE LAUDER by Estee Lauder Double Wear Light Stay In Place Makeup SPF10 - # 13 ( Intensity 4.0 ) --30ml/1oz

Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay In Place Lip Pencil - # 07 Red 1.2g/0.04oz by Estee Lauder

Free Shipping worldwide. Recommended Retail: US$26.00 - Double Wear Stay In Place Lip Pencil - # 07 Red-1.2g/0.04oz - makeup / cosmetics
StrawberryNET.com

Estee Lauder Double Wear Light Stay In Place Makeup - Intensity 5.0 U/b

Estee Lauder Double Wear Light Stay In Place Makeup - Intensity 5.0 U/b

ESTEE LAUDER Double Wear Light Stay In Place Makeup in Intensity 5.0, 1 fl oz. Full Size GWP. No Box. ESTEE LAUDER Double Wear Light Stay In Place Mak...

Nordstrom

Saks Fifth Avenue

ESTEE LAUDER by Estee Lauder Double Wear Light Stay In Place Makeup SPF10 - # 12 ( Intensity 3.0 ) --30ml/1oz

Estee Lauder Double Wear Light Stay-in-place Makeup Intensity 2.0 Full Size

Estee Lauder Double Wear Light Stay-in-place Makeup Intensity 2.0 Full Size

For Sale ESTEE LAUDER Double Wear Light Stay-in-Place Makeup Intensity 2.0 FULL SIZE Free US Shipping