Ethnic Gourmet Palak Paneer Reviews

Ethnic Gourmet Palak Paneer

ratings (3 Epinions reviews)
Epinions Product Rating: OK

I cannot get enough of this ethnic, YUMMY and microwavable meal!

Sep 6, 2010 (Updated Sep 6, 2010)

Pros:Tastes REALLY good, healthy ingredients, super easy to make.

Cons:Not the most filling meal ever.

The Bottom Line: If you like spinach, spicy or Indian food, this is definitely for you!

I picked this Indian frozen cuisine up at my local Fred Meyer grocery store and fell in love with it the first time I tried it. I just cannot get enough of this meal, it's just so good! I naturally love Indian and spicy foods, so this is right up my alley.

Ethnic Gourmet's Palak Paneer comes with 2 dishes, one is a creamed-type of spinach with cubes of rubbery cheese. The other dish is brown rice (which I like because it is healthier than white rice) and has peas in it. I love spinach and cheese, so this works out great for me. This is a type of cheese I have never eaten before, it does not "melt" into the spinach, but when microwaving the meal, it stays in it's "firm" rectangle/square shape. They are bite-sized and usually the meal has about 7 (or so) of these in the spinach. I actually thought these were tofu cubes at first (but they are not, and much tastier). The spinach cream sauce is also spicy (the spice level is medium). The spicy spinach mixed with the cheese cubes taste very good together. I like to mix the two dishes together (put the spinach over the rice). It takes about 3 or 3.5 minutes to microwave the meal and I have to pull back an inch or two of the plastic. Sometimes I need to stir the spinach before eating (for cold and hot spots).

The ingredients are; spinach, fried paneer (paneer [milk, vinegar], canola oil), water, onions, light cream (milk), tomato paste, diced tomatoes (tomatoes, tomato juice), spices, garlic, sea salt, canola oil, xanthan gum. Rice pilau; water, long-grain brown rice, peas, spice and tumeric. I can really taste the tumeric in it (a favorite spice of mine in Indian dishes). I also love that this has ingredients I can understand. This also has 240 calories per serving, 11 grams of fat, 23 carbohydrates, 12 grams of protein and 25% of your daily requirement of vitamin C.

Normally, I don't like microwavable meals, but this is an exception. In fact most of the brand "Ethnic Gourmet" makes some GREAT microwavable meals. They also do Chicken Phad Thai and Chicken Tandori and other really tasty meals. They are not cheap, though. I find at regular price, they are $4.29 per meal. I won't buy them at that price (being as frugal as I am). I buy them on sale, when they are 2 for $7 and that is a better deal ($3.50 each). Sometimes, they will also have $2 off 3 meal stickers attached to the boxes and that ON TOP of the sales make it a steal. I'll stock up at those prices. I like to have a few of these in my freezer at a any given time, in case I just don't feel like cooking (in fact I'll crave these).

The only downside may be that it is not very filling. It's filling enough, but if I'm really hungry, it doesn't quite do the job. As a snack or small meal, it's great. But if you need a bigger meal, this needs to be paired up with something.

To find out where these are sold, here is the link to their website under "Where to Buy"; http://consumer.ethnicgourmet.com/store-locator/index.html

MTR Palak Paneer 10.58 Ounce Boxes (Pack of 5)

MTR Palak Paneer 10.58 Ounce Boxes (Pack of 5)

MTR Palak Paneer 10.58 Ounce Boxes (Pack of 5) -
Mtr Ready To Eat Palak Paneer 300g.

Mtr Ready To Eat Palak Paneer 300g.

Experience the delights of tender chunks of cottage cheese in a fresh green spinach gravy. A big North Indian favourite!