Eureka Dream Machine Brush Roll Models - Black - Upright Vacuum Cleaner

Eureka Dream Machine is NOT a nightmare!

Aug 10, 2002

Pros:Doesn't leave the carpet sopping wet for hours.....

Cons:Need more pretreatment of stains to insure cleaning.

The Bottom Line: It did a better job at cleaning carpets, floors, and furniture than I thought it would and it did it without leaving the carpeting or the upholstery wet for days!

The Eureka Dream Machine Carpet Cleaning Extractor 2400 series is a new addition to a home that has two cats, two dogs, and three clumsy adults.

Ergo, carpet steamers are as necessary around our house as a coffee pot! I have been through the Hoover, Bissell [a hex on it], and last week I burned up the motor in a Dirt Devil easy steamer that lasted two years through my sister's home as well as mine.

Given that the last steamer went to its' grave in the middle of my annual carpet and furniture cleaning campaign, I didn't have time to be an investigative shopper. I needed the steamer like yesterday.

And a plus to boot, my sister and I found the steamer on sale for $150.00!! Normally this top of the line steamer was priced in the $200+ range.

Initial notes:

The very first thing I noticed when setting the cleaner up for its' trial by fire [cleaning the light colored couch] that the machine itself is powerful in sucking the dampen dirt right out of the furniture. And that was just using the attachments.

The attachments are the most convenient to use out of any other steamer that has dared to be used in my home. And, the attachments are housed in such a way that I am not tripping over them while I dance the light fantastic across Berber carpeting.

The clean water solution tank is clearly marked to note the water fill and it is easy to snap into the cleaner.

The recovery tank was initially hard to pull out of its' niche. But once I broke in the route, it was easier than most and I didn't end up with dirty water all over the place so I could clean the carpet again.

Also, the Eureka Dream Machine is compatible with other steamer brand cleaning solutions. The directions for using them remain the same. Put 4 ounces of cleaning fluid in the water tank and then run hot water no warmer that 120 degrees in the tank.

Those are just the basic first notices after using the machine the afternoon of the day of purchase.

Now, as with all new products, the real test is the carpet from Hades that I plan on never buying again in my lifetime. It was supposed to be Dupont Stain master weaved by Shaw Mark Industry. Ha! I learned never to believe a thing Shaw Mark says about their product. But I am not due to replace the carpet for another two years. So now, I use it as the ultimate testing ground for the steamer!

Here's what I discovered:

First, if you are taking the steamer up a flight of stairs, make sure that the Clean Water Solution Tank and the Recovery Tank have not yet been installed in the machine. Bring them up separately. This machine while touted as industrial strength has industrial brawny weight. The warranty and how-to book says its 15 pounds. Not so-- one of my cat’s weighs 15 pounds. The steamer weighs more.

But again once all of the ingredients were in place, installation of the water tanks was easy. The first thing to determine prior to turning the machine on is are you using the attachments or the steamer brush rollers first. There is a very convenient and easy to use selection lever on the front hood of the machine.

I elect to do perform pre-spot treatment on my carpet from Hades. In the case of the Eureka Steamer, I used the attachments first. The user has a selection of two easily installed attachments. One has a single row of brushes and the other resembles a pliable plastic form of steel wool. I used both but found the steel wool attachment the best for unearthing old stains.

The instructions to use the attachments are also easy to follow. This machine cleans in both the forward and reverse mode. So the user can stroke the area to be cleaned forwards and backwards. The benefit is that in all likelihood, the user is going to have a better chance hitting all dimensions of the caret fibers. The water suction for the attachments is also better than previous machines. This Eureka system does carry with it the reputation the Eureka Vacuum cleaners have for consistent suction.

When one is done with the attachments, they store easily on the machine. Now the user changes over to the brush rotating roller version. While some may think the machine is bulky, I don't because it is heavy duty-powerful. The water tank clean solution ejection lever is built right into the handle making it easier to use. Another feature I liked that was a problem with previous steamers, is that I control how much liquid goes into the carpet because of that handy lever.

And, for the first time in my carpet cleaning history-- even measured against professional cleaners, I could walk on my carpet and not totally soak the soles of my socks. The key to not over watering carpet and having powerful suctioning is what makes the Eureka Dream Machine superior to all other steamers I have purchased.

Overall, the Eureka Dream Machine did more to lift out old stains that previous steamers left in tact and its' drying made it more convenient to get the job done and move on.

As for cleaning furniture upholstery - the same is true. The attachments worked like a dream and the suctioning of water out of the furniture also made the drying time faster.

The manual does provide a fabric code that the user should check against the tag on the furniture. It offers suggestions that if the tag says W - that means wet clean is acceptable; S-W is for solvent dry- or wet clean; the S is for solvent-dry cleaning only- do not use any form of wet clean as fabrics will shrink and or the colors will fade.

The Eureka Dream Machine did such great job on my couch that I took the slipcover off!

The manual boasts that the Eureka Dream Machine is also perfect for cleaning staircases. That might be if you have a fairly large staircase. But, I did not attempt cleaning the runner on my stairs, as they are not wide enough to hold the entire steamer.

There is also option on the Eureka Dream Machine that was not available on previous cleaners who have matriculated at my house. This machine has a linoleum/hardwood floors attachment. Say good-bye to the mop. I used the cleaner that came with my kitchen flooring in the Dream Machine and it did a great job of brightening up a ten-year-old floor. It was easy to maneuver. The only down side is that there is not an edge cleaner like what some vacuum cleaners have.

One of the things that the instruction manual emphasized is that the user performs maintenance after every use. The user is told to put clear/clean water in the Water tank. Then using both modes - attachments and floors- run clear water through the system after completing a cleaning job. The purpose of this is clean out any clogs left behind in the system by what was sucked up and by some cleaning fluids.

The manual clearly states that maintaining the Eureka Dream Machine 2400 series in this manner will insure a long life. They don't put a 'figure' on that statement, but the Eureka Dream Machine does come with a one-year warranty. The manual also provides a tool free service number and order form for additional Eureka attachments not initially included. These are a Bare Floor attachment with a sponge for $6.00, cleaning solution- 64-ounce bottle- for 12.99 along with any replacement parts the user may need.

I also do like the manual. It is easy to use, organized, and provides the instructions in English, Spanish and French.

Overall, I would high five the total performance of the Eureka Dream Machine 2400 series. It did a better job at cleaning carpets, floors, and furniture than I thought it would and it did it without leaving the carpeting or the upholstery wet for days!

Amount Paid (US$): $150.00

Eureka Quick-UP Bagless Stick Vacuum with Motorized Brush Roll, 169H, Red

Eureka Quick-UP Bagless Stick Vacuum with Motorized Brush Roll, 169H, Red

The Eureka Boss Bagless Stick Vacuum 169H is useful around the house for picking up dirt, hair, and allergens. This motorized brush roll vacuum functi...

Eureka Quick-Up Bagless Hand Vac with On/Off Motorized Brush Roll, 71B

Use the Eureka 71B HandHeld Vacuum to remove deeply embedded dirt from anywhere in your home or car. This powerful hand vacuum cleaner is ideal for cl...

Eureka Easy Clean 2 In 1 Lightweight Vacuum

Eureka Easy Clean 2 In 1 Lightweight Vacuum

This Eureka two-in-one Vacuum is a bagless stick model, is rechargeable and includes a motorized brush-roll tool to clean most surfaces. The brush-rol...

Eureka 955A Complete Clean

Eureka 955A Complete Clean

BONUS: FREE SHIPPING!Eureka 'Complete-Clean' Bag-less Canister that Completely Cleans All Surfaces...Ideal for cleaning the whole home from the floor ...
United Vacuum

Eureka Easy Clean Hand Vacuum

Eureka Easy Clean Hand Vacuum

Small messes meet their match with the Easy Clean Hand Vacuum. Dual motors power the revolving brush and suction individually, giving you full power f...
QVC

Eureka The Boss® 1934b Lightweight Vacuum

Eureka The Boss® 1934b Lightweight Vacuum

You do not need a magic wand to clean your ultra-soiled carpet - just the Eureka 1934 is enough.Weighing just about 11lbs, this Eureka upright cleaner...

Eureka Easy Clean 2 in 1 Lightweight Vacuum, 169B

Eureka Easy Clean 2 in 1 Lightweight Vacuum, 169B

Product Description Easy Cleaning on Bare Floors and Carpets The Eureka Easy Clean vacuum is a 2 in 1 lightweight vacuum which weighs less than 5 poun...
Eureka(R) EZ Clean Bagless Hand Vacuum

Eureka(R) EZ Clean Bagless Hand Vacuum

Exclusive Riser Visor(R) allows you to clean vertical surfaces like stair risers or couch fronts Bagless hand vacuum features 2-motor performance. Off...
Office Depot

Eureka AirSpeed Gold Vacuum AS1001A

Eureka AirSpeed Gold Vacuum AS1001A

The Eureka AirSpeed Gold vacuum moves more air and removes more dirt for a cleaner home you'll love! features two smooth tubes for limited bends and t...
JCPenney