Farberware Programmable Pressure Cooker FPC400

Farberware Programmable Pressure Cooker: Makes Me Feel Like I Can Cook!

Jan 15, 2003

Pros:Easy to use and clean, consistently good results, durable, attractive.

Cons:A little big -- and I use it enough to keep it out.

The Bottom Line: If you've never used a pressure cooker, try this one. It's easy to use and program, and very safe.

Since I've never been a wife and mother who cooks every day, even with the mircowave, I never imagined I would be the owner of a small appliance that makes my sisters who do cook jealous.

They may not have even noticed it, had they not tasted the pot roast I cooked in my Farberware Programmable Pressure Cooker and asked how I made it so tasty and tender.

My sisters didn't know I had it "in" me to make a tasty roast like it's no trouble at all. That made me feel so good!

This review is tailored to people like me -- not daily cooks, just people who want to make a nice dinner now and then in the shortest possible time. So I won't go on and on about the many features and benefits of this pressure cooker. It might scare you away or intimidate you, too. I'll just tell you how easy it is for even a kitchen phobic like me to use and even enjoy!

Christmas Was Coming and I Needed Help

Right before the holiday season in 2001, knowing I would have a large crowd of family at my house for Christmas Eve Dinner, I was fretting over how I would prepare roast, a turkey breast and a ham in my one-oven kitchen.

It's not necessary to have three kinds of meat for one dinner, but people do like having the choice, and it's still somewhat more managable to have three smaller things to cook and carve than one massive turkey.

I had seen some demonstrations for pressure cookers on QVC and the Home Shopping Network and thought, "They don't explode anymore like Grandma's did? They have little computers on them now? Hey..."

So I began comparing prices on electronic pressure cookers. The best offer in December 2001 was on Amazon.com for $99.00. And not only was S & H free, but it came with a bonus gift of a great set of Farberware knives and utensils with a butcher block holder!

My First Run -- A Pot Roast

When I got my Farberware Pressure Cooker, I read the recipe book and instructions carefully. The instructions weren't too complicated because many of the safety features seem to be automatic. The lid "triple-locks" with outer handles that expand and securely retract, plus another sliding lock on top of the lid.

All you really need to know is how long you'll need to cook various types of foods: large cuts of meat, soup, stews, sauces, vegetables and anything else you might normally cook on the stovetop or in the oven.

Within a couple of days of getting the cooker, I experimented on a 3-lb. rump roast. There's a recipe in the accompanying manual that was close enough for me to use as a guide.

One of the most useful features for me, especially when making a roast, is the "Brown" setting. All I had to do was add a little oil into the removable coated cooking well, push a couple of buttons on the front panel, and sear my roast on all sides.

After browning, just add your liquids (water, onion soup), lock the lid on and set the Pressure Mode at "High" (for soups or stews, "Low" may be better) and set the timer for 90 minutes. Yes, you can have a perfectly cooked 3-lb. roast in 90 minutes.

Large Volume Cooking Problem Solved

My pressure-cooked roast was so popular at Christmas 2001 that my husband said we needed twice as much this year. Knowing that I would be able to make two roasts in three hours, then put them both in my crock pot until ready to serve, I didn't worry about having FOUR large cuts of meat to cook.

The biggest benefit of the Farberware cooker is being able to come home from the office and spend about five minutes getting a roast browned and seasoned, then having it ready to eat by the time everyone is ready for dinner a couple of hours later -- instead of three or four hours with a conventional oven or crock pot.

And the best compliment came from my daughter: "It's as good as Grandma's roast." My mother-in-law is the mother of all great roast cookers.

You'll Feel Safe Using This

All of my life, I thought of a pressure cooker as a "grownup" toy that only really experienced cooks should dare to try. I remember my grandma's whistling, vibrating Club cast aluminum stovetop pressure cooker that I was certain would explode one day.

Well, my grandma's cooker never blew up, but my husband's grandma's did. Of course she cooked three times a day and my grandma cooked three times a month, so the odds fit.

Instead of the scary "whistle" the Farberware has a steam vent that you can set to "cook" or "clean" modes. I don't know what they mean, so I just leave it on "cook." So far, so good.

But one very comforting feature is the "quick release" pressure button that allows you to release the steam in a hurry. If you have an extra 30 minutes, you can let the pressure release on it's own. But personally, I like to tap it and make it go "woosh! WOOSH!" because it's a very cool sound, as well as being reassuring that the lid won't hit the ceiling when you take it off.

The cooker stops cooking automatically when the time you set expires -- then it beeps at you periodically until you attend to it, or set the indefinite "warm" mode (which you can use all day long to keep your food at serving temperature).

Easy Clean Up, No Problem

The Farberware cooker is not totally immersible, but the cooking well lifts out and washes nicely in warm, sudsy water. Cleaning the lid is simple enough by moving it briskly up and down in your sudsy water. There's a tiny brush included for cleaning the steam vents when needed.

But I'll be honest again -- I make my husband wash this baby. Even if the cooking is easy, I still expect him to clean up!

Slow Cooker Programmable 6-quart Hamilton Beach Pot Digital Control

Slow Cooker Programmable 6-quart Hamilton Beach Pot Digital Control

Hamilton Beach 33967 Set 'n Forget 6-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker, Silver #2348584A 6-quart programmable slow cooker with LED digital control panel,...

Cuisinart PSC-350 3.5 qt. Programmable Slow Cooker - PSC-350

Cuisinart PSC-350 3.5 qt. Programmable Slow Cooker - PSC-350

Shop for Crock Pots and Slow Cookers from Hayneedle.com! The Cuisinart PSC-350 3.5 Quart Programmable Slow Cooker is a programmable way to make homema...
Hayneedle

Frigidaire Professional 7 Quart Programmable Slow Cooker

Frigidaire Professional 7 Quart Programmable Slow Cooker

Find slow cookers at Target.com! Our frigidaire professional 7 quart programmable slow cooker offers an easy-to-read pro-select led display and 6 pres...

FRIGIDAIRE 7-qt. Professional Programmable Slow Cooker

FRIGIDAIRE 7-qt. Professional Programmable Slow Cooker

The sleek versatility and large 7-quart capacity of the programmable slow cooker makes it easy to prepare, warm and serve meals of any size to perfect...
JCPenney

Cuisinart 3.5 Qt Programmable Slow Cooker PSC-350

Cuisinart 3.5 Qt Programmable Slow Cooker PSC-350

Cuisinart PSC-350 Slow cooking is an art form, and the Cuisinart 3.5 Qt. Slow Cooker perfects it using a precise, convenient 24-hour LCD countdown ti...
Wayfair

Cuisinart 3.5-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker

Cuisinart 3.5-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker

Slow cooking is an art form that works with the full palette of flavors that ingredients offer. This slow cooker refines the process with a precise, 2...

Cuisinart Slow Cookers 3.5 qt. Programmable Slow Cooker Stainless PSC-350

Cuisinart Slow Cookers 3.5 qt. Programmable Slow Cooker Stainless PSC-350

Shop for Appliances at The Home Depot. Slow cooking is an art form. And the Cuisinart Programmable 3.5 qt. Slow Cooker perfects it using a precise, co...
Home Depot

Farberware 10 Cup Rice Cooker Fsrc100 Tm7

Farberware 10 Cup Rice Cooker Fsrc100 Tm7

Farberware 10 Cup Rice Cooker FSRC100 TM7 *NEW*Farberware Special select 10 cup rice cooker Cooks up to 20 cups of fluffy rice Keeps rice warm for up ...

Hamilton Beach 6-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker - Crockpots

Hamilton Beach 6-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker - Crockpots

Make things easy on yourself by letting this quality slow cooker do the cooking for you. It features three choices for easy, automatic cooking includi...
Bed Bath & Beyond

Cuisinart Psc-350 Slow Cooker, 3.5-Qt. Programmable

Cuisinart Psc-350 Slow Cooker, 3.5-Qt. Programmable

Don't let a busy schedule prevent you from preparing spectacular home-cooked meals. Simply add ingredients to the ceramic pot and set the 24-hour Lcd ...
Macys.com