Febreze Car Vent Clips Air Freshener Reviews

Febreze Car Vent Clips Air Freshener

ratings (1 Epinions review)

Febreze Car Vent Clip Air Fresheners. Put some lasting freshness in your car.

May 4, 2013 (Updated Sep 2, 2013)

Pros:Looks attractive, lasts longer than other car fresheners and you get to regulate it.

Cons:Can be overpowering for those allergic to perfumed scents.

The Bottom Line: I recommend these as they have a powerful scent and will last longer than other fresheners. The design is nice too. Will fit in with most dash-décor.

Car fresheners are always good to keep active in your vehicle. The old hanging pine tree fresheners are long dead (still sold, but dead). We purchased these Febreze Car Vent Clips Air Freshener’s to give them a try as they were something a little different. Our last freshener were vanilla sticks that were jammed into the air vents and it was very strong for a week or so, then the smell dried up and they had to be discarded. We wanted something that would last awhile, that’s why we chose these.

Vanilla & Moonlight?
The scent we got is vanilla & moonlight. Now I know what vanilla smells like, but moonlight? Has anybody gone outside in the evening on a full moonlit night and actually sniffed the moons beams? By that description, moonlight could smell like anything that moonlight touches! Although if I had to describe the scent, it has a base vanilla smell, not too strong on the vanilla, mixed with sweet candy and a musty mild lavender. The scent is described as “soothing” on the Walmart website for this product. I quite like it as vanilla alone can be quite overpowering. The problem is the strength of it. This scent may not be appropriate for sensitive noses or to those with perfume allergies.

Other scents available include: Midnight Storm, Thai Dragon Fruit, Hawaiian Aloha, Meadows and Rain, New Car Scent, Linen and Sky, Alaskan Springtime, Sky Breeze, Light Citrus, Lavender and Vanilla, Lavender Comfort.

~The Febreze Car Vent Clips Air Freshener~

The packet comes with two scent clips inside, encased in plastic on both sides. Peel the plastic tab down the back to release the clips. They actually look quite nice, and at about 1½ inches squared they’re not too bulky. Once placed, they will stick out an inch from the vent. They have smooth edges for the failures in life who could manage to cut themselves even on thin air or trip over on a flat floor…so no sharp edges for cuts, in other words!

They are designed in two-tone grey and will go with every car’s interior dashboard décor…as long as it’s grey. Luckily, our Hyundai Elantra has a two tone grey dashboard, just not quite the same color match to this freshener clip, but it still blends well enough. The center of the clip is a transparent plastic bubble that holds the liquid scent. I like this feature as you can keep an eye on it to see how fast you’re using it.

Setting it up and placement
Once removed from the packet and you are ready to place it in your car, you will notice a plastic “clothes peg” type clip on the back that has yet to be set. Move this “clothes peg” up to a 90° angle until you hear and feel it ‘click’ into place. Once it’s fully locked in, you cannot move the clip anymore. That’s ok, you don’t need to. This action is supposed to puncture the scent seal inside to release the aroma. Don’t worry if you think it won’t clip in fully.
Of course I didn’t read the instructions first, so I wasn’t sure it was even supposed to click in firmly. It felt like it would snap off is I forced it too much, so I left it loose and still connected it to the vent anyway. I must have forced it enough to puncture the scent seal because the smell was quite strong. Once the clip clicks into place the plastic bubble will drain some of the liquid into the back of the device. This is normal.

Anyway, after reading the instructions on the packet I forced the clip straight and lo’ and behold, it didn’t break! It snapped in quite firmly, never to be removed again. Just slide the clip all the way onto any vent in the car you choose and you’re all set. Once you put them on the vent they stay on and will never fall off. You have to pull firmly to remove them.

The regulator dial
The cool part is that you can regulate the scent. The scent clip comes with a small loose-fitting slide wheel on the side with three settings. Actually, no. Not three setting. Three markers set from low to high, like a volume control. These are self-explanatory. The narrow marker end for faint scent, the thick marker end for strong scent. If you want these to last according to their advertised duration of 60 days, leave them on the lowest setting. Maybe even use it on a vent that you don’t use, so there’s less air forcing the scent out. The other car vents you do use should be sufficient to keep enough air flowing around to make it happy. Either that or just keep your AC on a low setting.

My suggestion is to carefully place this clip so the white dial for scent control is on the left. As the dial is a little loose it can slip easily from low to high setting if bumped. Put the dial at the left and gravity can only bump it down to the low setting. This is handy if you just clip the thing on and have a tendency to forget about it. Otherwise if you have it the other side, the dial can slip to the maximum potency setting and use the liquid inside much faster. Just a suggestion, mind you.

What do I think?
We actually activated both clips and put them on the vents. Oh, Lord. Not recommended! Just use one clip at a time, it should be sufficient. I would leave the car closed up for 10 minutes and the smell was overpowering enough to nearly bring tears to my eyes! And that was on the low setting. I had to remove one. The difference is much more manageable. After 10 minutes of being closed up, the car has a nice smell of this vanilla/lavender scent but it’s not as overpowering. I still use the low setting on it and after I’m on the road and driving I don’t notice it as much, except in short bursts.

Does it kill odor?
It says this eliminates odors, but, as much as I like Febreze, I have found that no Febreze product will do that. It will mask them and mask them well, sure but if you remove the scent clip, after awhile any nasty smell in the car will return. Permanent nasty car smells are best dealt with by good old elbow grease. Unless  a skunk sprayed in your car. Then you might be screwed.  Push the car over a cliff and claim the insurance instead, as there ‘aint enough tomato juice in the world will get that smell out!

Will it really last 60 days?
The packet we bought had ripped us off a little. One scent bubble was almost full while the spare was only half full. In other words, cutting the life of it from 60 days to 30. We are using the ½ full one first. So far it’s now down to one-third left after 2½ weeks of constant use on low (on an active vent). At this rate it will be dry and empty after 5 weeks (35 days). In other words, I don’t believe the 60 day thing that this product claims. It would more likely be useful for no more than 50 days at this rate, but I’m just guessing.

***Ok, updating review on 6/14/13 and I must say that they do indeed last 60 days (although the scent reduces drastically) within the last two weeks. Not too bad for an air freshener! ***

Summing up...

Overall I still like these, as they last longer than any other fresheners we’ve tried in the past. The twin-pack costs around $5 from Amazon but Walmart also have them. Each liquid bubble contains 2mL (or 0.06 Fl oz). Just be aware that these aren’t for everyone. They do have a perfumed scent which may be strong to some people and may cause headaches, maybe even on the low setting. You will need to try them for yourself to see how they may affect you. People with a tolerance for strong scents shouldn’t have that issue. We have bought four of these clips (2x packs) and will use them and will probably buy more when they’re empty. I give Febreze Car Vent Clips Air Freshener 4 stars, it would be 5 if I believed they actually last for 60 days, but I'm still happy with them so far.