Comments on Harbor Tools now sells Multimaster replica" (14 total)
  Comment Sorted by
Date Written
Re: Re: Chicago Electric 120 Volt Multi Function tool
by nivle58
I just purchased Chicago Electric multifunction tool after reading reviews here, and I am glad I did. I've been wanting to buy the original multimaster but the cost is holding me back. With Chicago electric version,I paid $39.99 $10 replacement warranty, $7 for diamond cut blade, and put them to work right away. I was able to cut through tile grout and remove 4 tiles to repair a leaking toilet. Needless to say, I am happy with this tool, I can abuse it since I have warranty and I don't have to worry much about ruining the blades.
Oct 21, 2009
12:44 pm PDT

harbor freight version of multimaster
by nivle58
Thank you for your info about harbor freight. I just bought one today, 10/21/09, for $39.99 + 10 for 2 year replacement warranty, and a diamond cutter blade ($7.00, at multimaster: over $100). I used them to remove grout and several tiles to repair my toilet and so far, no problem. Replacement blades ranged from $8-15: not bad compare to over $50 at Multimaster.
Oct 20, 2009
11:48 pm PDT

by hgw2112
sign up with your e mail , at harbor freight.they will send you from time to time a 20% off coupon.good on i item only.watch for the sale on the tool.when you get the flyer. $ 39.99 less 20%
Aug 24, 2009
3:38 pm PDT

Re: Lousy sandpaper, but tool works, so far..
by hgw2112
cut your own,make sure you got the correct backing, i used the disks from varathane floor sander 3 disk set $5.99 you can make a total of 9 for your multi tool.
Aug 24, 2009
3:31 pm PDT

Lousy sandpaper, but tool works, so far..
by billat908
Mine works OK, for the short time I have used it. However, I need to find a better source of sandpaper for it.

The sandpaper HF sells for this tool wears out like no sandpaper I have ever used. The grit comes right off and leaves soft fuzzy paper. At four bits apiece, that gets spendy in a hurry.
Jul 25, 2009
3:53 pm PDT

Chicago Multifunction tool for $29.95!
by pbonnell
I just got a fantastic deal on this tool! Harbor Freight has an ad in the August issue of Popular Science that includes a coupon to buy this tool for $29.95! At that price I just couldn't pass it up, especially since most of the reviews I've read indicate that its a fine tool.
Jul 21, 2009
4:06 pm PDT

Re: Can't see the other ones being much better
by jmacho
I purchased the Chicago multifuntion recently for $40. and have been pleased with the tool's capabilities. It is heavier than the Dremel and runs a bit hot ( no danger) which is contained in the metal gear case and not the plastic body handle. Minor complaints- the attachments are secured to the vibrating shaft using two washers (no pins on this model) which can come loose if not tightened enough. The saw attachments will NOT cut metal (nails) and the hook & loop sander pad does not secure the sandpaper well and after some use the paper will not stick. Recently repaired some rotted window sills and saved considerable time with cutting wood patches, scraping off old caulking, and light sanding wood filler. A must have tool
Jul 14, 2009
9:04 am PDT

Can't see the other ones being much better
by samalfit
I have always wanted to try the Multi-Master by Fein, but considering I have a $40.00 circular saw, and a $35.00 power drill, and I reach for these almost every day, and managed to build an entire house using them - I was hard pressed to pay $250-$750 dollars for a "specialty" tool. When Feins patent ran out, various knockoffs popped up, so I bought a dremel Multi-Max. Still the cost was more than both of my daily use tools combined, but I had a remodeling project that would require cutting openings in tack strips, chair rail, crown moulding, and baseboard moulding without removing then first, in at least 3 spots each (12 section/24 cuts). Additionally I needed to cut a 2x4 in a hard to reach location, plus I'd be hanging drywall with electric box cutouts, and of course -- the occasional "other thing" would come up. Then I saw Chicago Electric's $39.00 version at Harbor Freight. I have a $16.00 Chicago Electric sawsall that works whenever it is needed, so I bought the Multi-Tool. Well I just finished the job, and must say -- its a handy little tool, that did all I needed, plus those other things, like trimming some high spots in bowed framing lumber and cutting several layer of floor tile. All in all it worked fine, even with the steady 11000 OPM speed. I never opened the Dremel, and returned it. This tool now occupies a permanent space at my workbench, and will be reached for many times in the future. Frankly for $39.00 it already earned its price -- and although I have no reason to believe it'll have a short life -- if it dies before the end of the day, I'd go back and get another one. I would advise anyone to get one of these for their toolbox. The true cost is in the blades, which can/do wear out fairly quickly, but I suspect that would be the same with any brand, and the other brands blades cost more. Also - you can use most other brands blades on this unit if needed. The blades are secured by an allen bolt (like the sawsall), and yes it can loosen up, but mostly when you cock and jam the blade, or if the blade digs too deep and the bolt contacts material. Lastly, the on/off switch is a bit tight - at one point a used a screwdriver to push it up -- but these are minor points for a tool that is more convenient than required.
Jun 1, 2009
12:22 pm PDT

MutilFunction Tool
by goshtac
Having wanted to try out an oscillating multi function tool for some time, I purchased the Chicago Electric version from Harbor Freight due to the great price.

My wife and I are currently doing a kitchen remodel and this tool has been very useful in this project. In just a few weeks time, this tool has gotten quite a workout removing old floor tiling, cutting drywayy, cutting door trim as well as tackling cutting concrete board ( Did wear out a blade on the last ) All told, I am very pleased with my purchase and the great value from Harbor Freight. Only issue is that you really have to lock the cutting blade down tight or it will come loose during use. But a small rubber washer should solve this issue. All told for the time I have had this tool, I would give it at least a 4 out of 5 rating and it is quickly becoming a favorite addition to my tool collection.
May 10, 2009
9:33 am PDT

by c5mjb
I have bought many things from Harbrfreight over the years, and their track record is 100% with me. The only thing I question is paying $59 for the Chicago Electric 65700 when the already well-known variable-speed Dremel 6300 is available for approx. $96 including blades and case if you shop, and is covered by Dremel's legendary customer service. Maybe for $29 or $39 I would bite, but for $37 more I would spring for the Dremel.
Mar 2, 2009
9:22 am PST

by c5mjb
I have bought many things from Harbrfreight over the years, and their track record is 100% with me. The only thing I question is paying $59 for this tool when the already well-known variable-speed Dremel 6300 is available for approx. $96 including blades and case if you shop, and is covered by Dremel's legendary customer service. Maybe for $29 or $39 I would bite, but for $37 more I would spring for the Dremel.
Mar 2, 2009
9:20 am PST

Chicago Electric 120 Volt Multi Function tool
by writeb
Just to publish the actual name of the knock-off at Harbor Freight Tools. Model number 65700-2VGA.

It was 39 bucks last black friday, sad I missed it. There are also other knockoffs on Ebay as well, which seem to go for 150 bucks in auction. Those ones are advertised to support the Fein tools as well, so that may be an advantage over the Chicago Electric tool. If the Chicago Electric model supports Fein attachments as well, I'm definitely in, although the copycat attachments are substantially cheaper as well. If anybody picks one of these up, we'd love to hear from you!
Dec 6, 2008
3:22 pm PST

Re: Oscillating multi tools.
by ssimoni
The reason--and only reason---why the Fein Multimaster was for years so, so expensive is because it held the 25 year patent, which has run out. Harbor Tools sells quality stuff...but no designer status label. If you doubt, then purchase the available extended warranty. Or, go ahead (Be my guest!) and pay 5 times the price for Fein. (Prediction: Fein will begin lowering cost)
Nov 27, 2008
6:26 am PST

Oscillating multi tools.
by justsayit
When choosing any Oscillating multitool name brand of clone,one needs to ask themselves a few questions. Does my occupation depend on it? How much can you afford to invest in a quality oscillating power tool?
Something to think about. You get what you pay for.
"If three or more off brand oscillating tools fail to operate properly" they will eventually over time equal the price one great quality power tool with all the sweet features and quality. Will the oscillating tool be used only once or twice for projects and never again? The inexpensive tool might do the trick saving you big money. Is the oscillating tool variable speed? Variable speed can reduce overheating & prolong the life of some attatchments. Does the oscillating tool offer enough quality cutters & accessories (not junk) to do perform the various odd jobs and home repairs? I sure hope so otherwise it might be cash in the trash. Will customer service customer service treat you like royalty and provide you with accessories, parts and repair if necessary? I sure hope so otherwise it might be trash in the cash.
Good Luck and have fun everyone.
Nov 25, 2008