Feline Pine Cat Litter

Stinking, Rotting Compost !!!

Jul 22, 2000 (Updated Sep 26, 2001)

Pros:100% natural

Cons:Ummm... the whole "Pine" thing.... ahh, it's gotta go!!

Ahhh... to gaze upon this beautiful green bag, with it’s exquisitely drawn feline, prowling through the luscious foliage. I would have to say that this is the most beautifully designed bag of cat litter that I have ever seen. Unfortunately, that is one of only two good things that I have to say about this product.

The other “good thing” is that this product is 100% natural. Basically, they take pine (they use scrap sawdust from mills, instead of cutting down new trees), which they press it into little pellets (that look like rabbit food), and put it in a 7 pound or a 20 pound package.

There are no chemicals mixed in. This makes the product able to be “flushed”, which would be convenient if our litter box was in the bathroom..... However, I’m not about to go tracking through the house with a dripping scoop of “toxic waste”, just to flush it down the toilet.

Yes, I am in complete agreement that a totally natural product is much better for your pets. This stuff has no clay in it, so it doesn’t produce the dust that other litters are famous for (ie: kitty isn’t hacking and wheezing from the “kick up”, as she covers her duty).

Because it’s 100% natural, it will also biodegrade in the environment. In comparison to clay, which just builds up and stays there, the Pine will break down and become one with
the planet

Well, that’s that! Enough nicey nice from me. To put it simply enough, the benefits don’t outweigh the problems. Here’s my rant:

The product claims that it doesn’t track out of the box, but I found this not to be true. Either it can be easily tracked, or my cat was intentionally dragging out numerous litter pellets, just to spite me!! ”I’ll show her for switching my @#$% litter!”

Oh, and then there’s that SMELL. UUggghhhhhh!!!! One of their purposes behind using pine was that it has a “pleasant” scent, and should help mask the common odor problems of litter boxes, all across America. Well, let me be the first to say, this was not the right idea!!

The litter itself doesn’t smell bad. Not bad at all. I rather like the smell of pine. But then you add that other key ingredient. You know which one I mean. That ever so familiar stench of ammonia, that people refer to as “Kitty Pee”. Oh, man! Talk about the over powering smell of soggy pine needles, saturated with a healthy dose of ammonia, all sitting together, stagnating in a feline latrine. And don’t even get me started with the addition of a little kitty “stink bombs”.

The pine effect of this litter does not help mask these odors. As a matter of fact, it does nothing but make them even more nauseating then usual. Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m not talking about leaving the box for 3 weeks, to ferment. This rancid smell is available upon first contact with said waste products.

I found this stench to be so intolerable, that I was unable to even use the entire bag. For someone who is a big penny pinching tight wad, to throw away something that is even slightly useful, then you know that there had to be problems. (Even if I did get it completely free, with a coupon from the paper.)

All the pellets begin to break down, as they become soiled. The litter is designed this way. However, I found that this made the litter box even harder to change. Even after only a few days, the deteriorated mush had paper-mached itself to the sides of the box, requiring a pick and chisel to remove it.

My recommendation? If you are keeping the cat’s litter box in a place that is way out of nose range, you don’t mind removing hardened pine-plaster with a blow torch, and your desire to obtain a 100% natural litter is more important then anything else on you current agenda, then by all means, purchase some Feline Pine Cat Litter.

If you are as much of a lazy slob as me, who can’t stand the smell of rotting compost, then avoid this stuff like the plague.

Feline Pine Original Cat Litter

Your concern for your cat's health should extend even to the cat litter used in your pet's litter box. Nature's Earth Feline Pine Original Cat Litter ...
PetFoodDirect

Feline Pine Cat Litter

The most effective cat litter you can buy! It's so effective you only need one inch. Feline Pine is made from selected, scrapped pine lumber. It is ki...
Petco

Feline Pine: Original Multi-Cat Formula Cat Litter, 20 Lb

Feline Pine: Original Multi-Cat Formula Cat Litter, 20 Lb

The Feline Pine Cat Litter is made from 100 percent pure pine. The low-dust cat litter is naturally odor-reducing and free of all chemicals and perfum...

Feline Pine Original Cat Litter

When it is finally time to clean the litter box, use the number one clay litter alternative with Feline Pine Original Cat Litter! The special odorless...
Pet360.com

Feline Pine Original Cat Litter, 20-pound Bag

Feline Pine Original Cat Litter, 20-pound Bag

Feline Pine Original Cat Litter, 20-Pound Bag Features Net quantity of 20 pounds Naturally neutralizes strong odors on contact, leaving your home rema...

Feline Pine Original Cat Litter

Feline Pine is the #1 natural alternative to clay litter. With no odor, no dust and no tracking you'll only wish you had found it sooner! How does
PetFlow

Feline Fresh Natural Pine Cat Litter

Feline Fresh Natural Pine Cat Litter

Flushable, scoopable, naturally sterile and biodegradable, this natural litter is made from 100% pure Southern Yellow Pine, which completely eliminate...
Only Natural Pet

Feline Fresh Clumping Pine Cat Litter 6 lbs.

Feline Fresh Clumping Pine Cat Litter 6 lbs.

Natural Pet Discount

PetFlow

Natures Earth 70750 Feline Pine Cat Litter

Natures Earth 70750 Feline Pine Cat Litter

40 POUND Chemical free and safe for your cat. Neutralizes odor naturally. No dust and no tracking. Designed for mulitple cat homes.