SentrySafe 160 GB,External,5400 RPM (QA0004) Hard Drive Reviews

SentrySafe 160 GB,External,5400 RPM (QA0004) Hard Drive

Good Idea - Poor Product

Feb 21, 2008 (Updated Feb 21, 2008)

Pros:Helps me sleep better at night.

Cons:Capacity too small. Needs multiple USB ports. Product has bladder control problems.

The Bottom Line: It's a good idea but crappy (or rather pee-pee) product. I wouldn't I'd buy it again.

I purchased this product recently to store some of my family photos on. I really like the idea of keeping my photos and video in this in case of fire.

After living with this product for a week, I'm realizing that it has some shortcoming that I wish I knew before I purchased. I'd really like more space and I'd like a NAS for my home network. I've already almost filled the 160GB.

A biggest problem though is that the product didn't work with my USB hub. I called the Sentry customer service number unsuccessfully a few times. First call, got transferred - then dropped. Second call, it rang and rang - no answer. So...customer service sucks. I tried plugging it in directly to my computer and it worked. The problem is that it takes up 2 USB plugs! I'm using a laptop and this means all my USB plugs are full now. If I can't use my hub, I'm stuck without a real mouse because there's no more plugs available.

The second problem I had was that the drive pee-d on my desk! Honest! Water (i hope -ha!) leaked out onto my desk. I cleaned it up but this seems weird. The drive still works and it only happened once but I'm hoping that it doesn't pee on my desk again. I now keep a towel under it just in case. There must be some kind of water system used for something - dunno. I hope the fireproofness isn't ruined now. I can't really tell.

THE VERDICT: TRY SOMETHING ELSE

1. Customer service sucked - at least the phone system sucked. Never got to talk to a human.
2. Requires two USB port and can't use a hub.
3. Capacity too small. Even if I bought a second one, I could use it because of #2 above and my laptop usb ports.
4. Towel or maybe Depends undergarments required to control peeing issue.

SentrySafe 160GB Fire-Safe Waterproof Hard Drive New!The Sentry Safe FIRE-SAFE Waterproof Hard Drive provides the peace of mind business owners and in...