Fisher Price Sparkling Symphony Bouncer

Just Another Baby Gimmik

Oct 8, 2002 (Updated Oct 9, 2002)

Pros:Attractive seat cover; Has 3 features; automatic shut-off after 15 min.

Cons:Mobile doesn't turn automatically; music is too short

The Bottom Line: This appears to be a nice bouncer with plenty of features...but looks can be deceiving. Consider if they're really "features" for you and your baby before you buy.

I remember (3 years ago) when bouncy seats were just seats that bounced. They came in every color and some of them vibrated as long as you replaced the batteries every day. Today you don't get a choice of colors, but you do get to pick your bells and whistles.

When I went shopping for my new arrival I was overwhelmed with well...the prices! $40-$60 for a SEAT? You've got to be kidding me. They have made small seats for babies into luxurious reclining toys!

I ended up with the Fisher Price Sparkling Symphony Bouncer for "only" $30.00. I was tricked by the word "Symphony" in the title of this bouncer. It's been said by experts that babies enjoy classical music but I don't think this noise can be classified as symphony. This bouncer only spits out baby tunes. The only difference I see between the symphony music and the nursery rhyme songs is that I recognize the nursery songs.

The Mobile
The mobile has 3 colored stuffed items (2 stars and 1 moon) that hang by a ribbon from the mobile. The mobile is attached to a big white arm that snaps securely into the bouncy seat.

PLEASE NOTE! There is no motor for the mobile, so it does not go around. It is out of reach and if it was touched would sure to be destroyed as it's just attached by a ribbon. I think we were all disappointed to discover the mobile didn't move. I figured that it would start moving when the seat was vibrating, but it doesn't. I guess it sways when the child bounces in it but my baby is too little to get it going.

The white mobile arm moves easily out of the way to give you room to put the baby in. The pole is also removable from the chair. Once the mobile breaks or the arm is removed, the mobile base that the mobile arm snapped into will still be there. You can unassemble the chair and take the base off if it won't be needed anymore.

I have no doubt that each of these stars will be plucked from their ribbon as soon as the baby is old enough to grab it. It is not up very high, and there will probably be an opportunity to grab it when they're removed from the chair.

Since my daughter is so little and the mobile hangs over the chair, it is difficult to see the babies face at some angles.

The biggest burdon is where to put the arm when you take it off?! It's got a mobile hanging off of it so it doesn't just tuck away somewhere.

It's difficult to move the bouncy with the mobile on, a breeze without it.

Vibrating Seat
Like most bouncy chairs, this seat vibrates. I've never sat in one so can't tell you much about it. My daughter does not like it to vibrate (my older daughter wouldn't sit in a bouncy unless it was vibrating, so it's a matter of taste I guess).

To vibrate or not to vibrate is as big of a question as to give a pacifier or not. This takes C batteries which aren't particularly cheap. Rechargeable is the only way to go if your baby loves the vibration. I only used the music and the batteries died extremely quickly.

A feature to some, a nightmare for others. The vibration will shut off after 15 minutes. That's great to save on batteries but may wake up an almost sleeping baby in the process! Ouch!

Music
Yes, it plays tunes. The baby enjoys the music -- but we don't. Take if you will, 8 songs and play it over and over and over and over. Right. Anyway, it features 5 classical tunes and 3 traditional lullabies. The music come from the control pannel in front. Symphony? I don't think so. They may have taken a bar or to from a symphony piece but it sounds just like any other musical baby toy.

Getting the Features to Work
this is powered by 3 "C" batteries. You can select lullabies, calming vibrations, or sounds and vibrations, then press the power button. The feature you have chosen will automatically shut off after 15 minutes. The automatic shut off is a nice feature and should save the battery life. It is very easy to operate, my 2 year old daughter can do it with ease.

The Seat Cover
The seat cover is a very bright blue and has pictures of stars, musical notes, and words in cursive. The seat cover is machine washable and dryer safe. The mobile is not machine washable. [speculation: Since the fabric is the same on the mobile as the seat....what's a bright blue mobile going to look like next to a faded out seat cover after a few washings?]

The seat restraints are adjustable and can be adjusted small enough for a newborn to fit in snuggly. The restraint pad has a buckle on each side and the buckles are adjustable.

The Chair
This has an average V incline which means it will bounce, but will not boing with every movement. The chair is average in size and weight, there are bouncer on the market that are bigger/smaller than this one. The color is neutral enough for a boy or girl and a color that won't show every stain.

Assembly
My husband assembled this because I didn't have the patients to figure it out. It's a one time thing, and it can be done...just not by me.

My Experience
I chose this particular bouncer because of the mobile. I figured that my baby could enjoy the mobile while she's an infant. Unfortunately, she doesn't look at it at all. She would much rather look around so I often have to remove the mobile bar so she can get a better view. She does not like the vibration, so that's another feature paid for and not used. She does like the music, but not for very long. In fact, infants can't see colors very well the first month or so and prefer to gaze to the side rather than up. So, this seat didn't work out very well for her. I ended up getting the Kick and Play Bouncer also made by Fisher Price and she REALLY likes it and my toddler likes to watch it too. The Symphony bouncer did not make a happy baby for us, maybe others will have better luck with it.

Fisher Price - Rainforest Bouncer

Fisher Price - Rainforest Bouncer

With a beautiful rainforest theme, the Fisher Price Rainforest Bouncer gives your child a place to play, rest, and develop key motor, visual and audit...

Fisher-price Rainforest Bouncer W/music Baby Activity Gear Play Toy K2564 Infant

Fisher-Price Rainforest Bouncer - New! Free Shipping! - Please read below. Fisher-Price Rainforest Bouncer The Fisher-Price Rainforest Bouncer is a tr...

Fisher-price My Little Snugabunny Bouncer, Free Shipping,

Fisher-price My Little Snugabunny Bouncer, Free Shipping,

Fisher-Price Deluxe Bouncer, My Little Snugabunny Features:Soft deluxe fabrics in the snuggly bouncer A snuggling cushion for your babys head to toe C...

Fisher-price Rainforest Bouncer

Fisher-price Rainforest Bouncer

Home About Us Contact Us Terms Conditions Shipping Fisher-Price Rainforest Bouncer A tree frog and a monkey play peek-a-boo in the leaves near a spark...

Fisher-price My Little Snugabunny Deluxe Bouncer With Adjustable Belt Harness

Fisher-price My Little Snugabunny Deluxe Bouncer With Adjustable Belt Harness

Color: My Little Snugabunny Featuring soft, contouring fabrics and a newborn insert, the Fisher-Price My Little Snugabunny Bouncer comforts, soothes, ...

Fisher-price Deluxe Bouncer, My Little Snugabunny

Fisher-price Deluxe Bouncer, My Little Snugabunny

Fisher-Price Deluxe Bouncer, My Little Snugabunny Upgrade to 2-Day Air for just $5.99! $74.95 $59.48 Details Manufacturer: Fisher-Price Color: My Litt...

Fisher Price - Rainforest Swing and Bouncer Set

Fisher Price - Rainforest Swing and Bouncer Set

Soothe baby in the beauty of the rainforest. The Fisher-Price cradle swing provides two ways to swing baby: side-to-side or head-to-toe. This baby cra...

Fisher Price Discover 'n Grow Baby Jumperoo Bouncer W9466

Fisher Price Discover 'n Grow Baby Jumperoo Bouncer W9466

Fisher-Price Discover 'n Grow Jumperoo
Fisher-Price Deluxe Bouncer

Fisher-Price Deluxe Bouncer

Find bouncers, rockers and infant seats at Target.com! This rainforest friends deluxe bouncer from fisher-price is a soft, snuggly bouncer for your ba...

Fisher-Price Rainforest Bouncer K2564

Fisher-Price Rainforest Bouncer K2564

Fisher-Price Rainforest Bouncer The Fisher-Price Rainforest Bouncer is a tremendous toy for any child. It has all of the features parents have come to...
BabyAge