Fisherman's Friend Lozenges

24 consumer reviews
Average Product Rating: Excellent

Sometimes it is good to have a fisherman friend

Nov 1, 2006

Pros:Very effective, gets to work fast

Cons:strong, yet horrible flavor.

The Bottom Line: Fisherman's Friend is a horrible tasting, but extremely quality product, that knocks down sore throats and lets you move on with your day.

Sometimes I think I must be the absolute king of sore throats. I get strep an average of 4-5 times a year and even though realistically that probably means that I should get my tonsils removed, I figure they were put there for a reason, so it isn't worth taking them out. Besides, strep is so easy to treat, and you get a few days off of work, it seems almost worth it to keep having the outburts. On top of strep however, I get quite a few lesser grade sore throats that are more of a nuisance than anything. These are the sore throats, that you can as easily treat and require a little more suffering that you would have with strep (assuming you get it treated right away).

I pretty much count on having some sort of a sore throat several times per month and I always try something different, because nothing seems to do exactly what I want it to do, so I mix it up a bit, for a little variety in hopes that eventually I'll run into the perfect medicine that works every single time. It probably won't happen, but I sure am getting to know quite a few products in the meantime.

Effectiveness
I purchased Fisherman's Friend brand lozenges about 3 weeks ago when I was having one of the worst sore throats of the season, coupled with a horrible cough. As soon as my sore throat felt better during the day, I would start hacking, and it would all be aggravated all over again. The multi symptom cough medicine wasn't doing anything to help me out, so I had to think of something else, that would be more effective. As I have no real brand preference when it comes to most medicines, I just grab whatever has cool looking packages, or things that are just different. I like to experiment a bit and see if I can find something much better than the current medications that I use all the time.

After taking one lozenge, I would virtually instant relief from my sore throat pain. The lozenge was pretty powerful and hit my sore throat within two or three minutes. The lozenge didn't last all that long, however, it did give me a good hour long break from the pain, and I have no issue taking a new tablet evey hour just to keep it away.

This doesn't mean that I was really able to go back to eating my normal food, since scraping against my throat still hurt considerably, but it was definitely lessened from what it was before taking the lozenge.

Taste
These lozenges definitely aren't the best tasting on the market, in fact, I would be likely to say that they are amongst the worst. Their effectiveness, I'm sure is their main selling point. The flavor reminds me of a minty kind of jaegermeister king of taste to it. It definitely isn't like the lozenges that you find yourself eating like candy, because it tastes so good.

Where to buy
You can puchase these lozenges, virtually anywhere that has medicine. I have even seen them at a lot of different convenience stores. The place I always purchase my lozenges from is drugstore.com. I try and preplan my sicknesses as well as possible, so that I can have the lozenges ordered and in my house, ready for the next sore throat disturbance.

Package Details
40 Lozenges - 2 Convenient Packs of 20 Each

Fisherman's Friend is renowned around the world. Discover its power in fighting coughs, soothing sore throats, and helping nasal passages feel cool and clearer.

No Artificial Flavors or Ingredients.

Indications:

Temporarily relieves occasional minor sore throat pain and cough due to minor throat and bronchial irritation occurring with the common cold or inhaled irritants.

Directions:

Adults and children 5 years of age and over: Allow one lozenge to dissolve slowly in the mouth. May be repeated every hour as needed for cough, or every 2 hours as needed for sore throat, or as directed by a doctor.

Children under 5 years of age: Consult a doctor.

Ingredients:
Active Ingredients: Menthol (10 mg)

Inactive Ingredients: Capsicum, Dextrin, Eucalyptus Oil, Natural Licorice, Sugar, Tragacanth

Warnings:

Do not exceed recommended dosage. A persistent cough may be a sign of a serious condition. If cough persists for more than 1 week, consult a doctor. Do not take this product for persistent or chronic cough such as occurs with smoking, asthma, or emphysema, or if cough is accompanied by excessive phlegm (mucus) unless directed by a doctor. If sore throat is severe, persists for more than 2 days, is accompanied or followed by fever, headache, rash , swelling,nausea, or vomiting, consult a doctor promptly. Keep this and all drugs out of the reach of children. As with any drug, if you are pregnant or nursing a baby, seek the advice of a health professional before using this product.

Final Thoughts
An effective treatment for sore throats, that as horrible as it tastes. The flavor definitely isn't something to use as a selling point for this lozenge, however the effectiveness is pretty impressive, giving some instant results. They don't last all that long, but they last just as long as any other product on the market. They do seem to have more short term results than any of the other products that I have tasted, so if you can handle the horrible flavor, then you'll be good to go with these.

Wellness Reviews by Richard Ramsey
Icy Hot Pain Reliever
Aveeno Anti-Itch Cream
Pepto Bismol Caplets
Zantac 75 Tablets

Fisherman's Friend - Menthol Cough Suppressant Lozenges Original Extra Strong - 20 Lozenges

Fisherman's Friend Original Extra Strong Menthol Cough Suppressant Lozenges - 20 Lozenges Fisherman's Friend Lozenges are renowned around the world. D...
LuckyVitamin.com

Menthol Cough Suppressant Lozenges (6 Boxes of 38 Lozenges) by Fisherman's Friend

Fisherman's Friend Lozenges are renowned around the world. Discover Fisherman's Friend Sugar Free Refreshing Mint Menthol Cough Suppressant Lozenge's ...
4AllVitamins

Fisherman's Friend Menthol Cough Suppressant Lozenges 38 Lozenges

Fisherman's Friend Menthol Cough Suppressant Lozenges 38 Lozenges

Menthol Cough Suppressant Lozenges 38 Lozenges - Fisherman's Friend Menthol Cough Suppressant Lozenges are the original extra strong, all natural way ...
Swanson Health Products

Fisherman's Friend Menthol Original Extra Strong cough suppressant 38 lozenge

Fisherman's Friend Menthol Original Extra Strong cough suppressant 38 lozenge

Fisherman's Friend Menthol cough suppressant 38 lozenge
Fishermans Friend Mint SugarFree Lozenges 40/pk X 6pks

Fishermans Friend Mint SugarFree Lozenges 40/pk X 6pks

Fishermans Friend Mint SugarFree Lozenges 40/pk
American Drug Supply Store
Fishermans Friend Menthol Cough Suppressant Lozenges Original Extra Strong -- 20 Lozenges Each / Pack of 24

Fishermans Friend Menthol Cough Suppressant Lozenges Original Extra Strong
American Drug Supply Store
Fisherman's Friend Menthol Cough Suppressant Lozenges, Original Extra Strong  40 ea

Fisherman's Friend Menthol Cough Suppressant Lozenges, Original Extra Strong 40 ea

Fisherman's Friend Menthol Cough Suppressant Lozenges, Original Extra Strong