Fiskars 5-Blade Momentum Push Reel Lawn Mower 18" (62016935J) Reviews

Fiskars 5-Blade Momentum Push Reel Lawn Mower 18" (62016935J)

Free Shipping Home Depot
Free Shipping Target

Zip, Snip, Clip - Mowing the lawn has never been this much fun!

Mar 21, 2011 (Updated Apr 24, 2011)

Pros:easy to use, quiet, no gas required, affordable, fun!, easy to assemble

Cons:takes some effort, may require several passes for a "manicured" look, wide turns

The Bottom Line: If you're thinking about making the switch away from a gas mower or are unhappy with your current reel mower, give this one a shot!

My 8 year old gas mower recently gave up the ghost and the lawn needed mowing, so I was stuck. I considered buying a cordless electric mower, but decided that they are too expensive and from what I've read very heavy. I did some basic research on the options out there for push reel mowers before deciding on the Fiskars Momentum Push Reel Lawn Mower.

I found it going for around $200 all around the web, but wanted to get mowing right away, so I was very pleasantly surprised to find that I could buy it online from Lowes and pick it up at my local store in under an hour. The mower comes in six parts: the handle top, handle middle, 2 handle base parts, a handle plate, and the mower base (everything else). It took me about twenty minutes with an 11 mm socket wrench to connect the handle parts to each other and the base. The next step was to adjust the handle height and then test the blade setting to ensure a proper cut. Mine came perfectly adjusted, but the instructions say you may need to turn a single nut to get the adjustment between the cutting blades dialed in properly. The test is done with strips of paper by manually rotating the reel and checking if the paper cuts cleanly without the blades touching.

Next I set the mower height to 4" (wow!), so that my lawn will grow strong without fertilizers and will crowd out weeds, and took off mowing. My lawn is under a quarter acre, so I definitely got some good exercise running around with the push mower, but it wasn't any more work than the old days of pushing the gas mower around. Plus I didn't have to breathe in nasty fumes or wear ear protection. The mower didn't get stuck on anything or have any trouble making nice even cuts. Overall I'm very happy with my purchase.

I used to dread mowing the lawn with my noisy, stinky gas mower, but look forward to mowing the lawn with my push reel mower. Now I can spend some quiet time outdoors getting exercise in my yard and the lawn gets mowed too!

Update

After using this mower for a few weeks, I've decided to update my review by making note of a few cons. I still love the mower and find that it suits me perfectly, but can see how it may not be for everyone.

The biggest potential con is that it does take some effort to mow the lawn. I'm starting to view this mower as 50% lawn care equipment and 50% exercise equipment. I enjoy getting a bit more exercise while mowing the lawn, but be aware that it does require more work than a gas push mower.

I've also noticed that on the highest cutting height it can take several passes in some areas to get a clean cut. I'm not obsessed with having a perfect lawn, so this doesn't bother me. I suspect that this would be less of a problem on a lower cutting height setting. I use the maximum height setting of 4 inches since I've read that this is best for your lawn's health and helps choke out weeds naturally.

Finally, it is worth noting that like any four wheeled mower, you cannot make super tight turns. I get around this by cutting the edges of my lawn first, then doing straight lines in opposing directions. With a gas mower I would use a spiral pattern when mowing since that is the most efficient walking pattern, but I prefer to have more of my cutting overlap in opposite directions to get a cleaner look.

Shop for Outdoor Power Equipment at The Home Depot. Formerly the Momentum Reel Mower, The StaySharp Max Reel Mower combines patent-pending technology ...
Home Depot

Find lawn mowers, trimmers and accessories at Target.com! Get a lawn mower that's better for your health, your lawn and your budget with a fiskars sta...
InertiaDrive Technology combines a larger diameter cutting reel and heavy blades. 2 times more cutting power cuts through small twigs, weeds, and dens...
StaySharp Max Reel Mower - 62016935J
CPO Outlets
Fiskars StaySharp Max Reel Mower (18). The advanced design of our reel mower makes it 60% easier to push and offers an eco-friendly, easy way to mow y...