Fiskars 96256935 Small Powergear Lopper Reviews

Fiskars 96256935 Small Powergear Lopper

Fiscars Lopper w/ Lifetime Warranty

May 17, 2007 (Updated Feb 23, 2010)

Pros:Works without dulling. Maximum cutting power.

Cons:Cost, but worth it.

The Bottom Line: The Fiskar's lopper helps me with the chore of keeping my lawn and garden in shape. It's easy to use and gives me great cutting power.

On our 2 1/2 acre property, we have numerous bushes and trees that need to be kept under control. I've found that when it comes to yard work, it is well worth the extra money to buy quality.

Fiskars are a brand that stand behind their products with a lifetime warranty! It that doesn't say "quality" I don't know what does. They make great products and they stand behind them.

Description

This Lopper is the smallest of the three Power Gear Loppers that Fiskars makes. The other two are larger, and are available in both a medium and large size. This small lopper has a total measurement of 18 inches.

The blades are made of a strong, high carbon steel, and are replaceable when they get dull. It is built to cut branches 1 1/2" in diameter, and the PowerGear cutting action increases the cutting power without having to use a lot of muscle.

The blades are coated with a non-stick material that makes for a clean, smooth cut. The handles are tubular shaped, lightweight, and are made of Nyglass®. Nyglass® is patented by Fiskars, and is a composite material of nylon reinforced with fiberglass. This combination makes for an extremely durable tool that will not bend or break, but at the same time it is very lightweight.

My Experience

I have used this bypass lopper for two years now, and it shows no signs of dulling. There are two types of loppers, the anvil and the bypass. I believe the best are the bypass blades. They work similar to a pair of scissors; the lower blade holds the branch or bush in place, while the upper blade slices past the lower blade.

This bypass lopper is good for creating a clean cut and is good to use on rosebushes and raspberry plants, both of which I have in my yard.

An anvil blade is more like using a cutting device on a chopping block. This can crush the branch if the blade is not sharp.

The 18" blade gives me a good reach, and allows me to have better leverage for cutting. The longer handles are ideal for pruning my raspberry bushes, because at the end of the season when they need to be cut down, they have gotten pretty large and unruly. The branches are sharp, and being able to reach into these prickly bushes would be hard without a long handled pruner, even while wearing gloves. It's easy to get scratches all over my arms if I'm not careful.

The non-stick blades are a great feature. Often times when I am trimming young trees, they are full of sap and can gunk up the blades making them hard to open. That doesn't happen quite so much with this Fiskars model.

The handles are comfortable to hold and use, even though there is no cushion on the handles. While that does give more comfort, I have also found that other tools that use this type of handle break down over time. The rubber cracks, and the foam tears. These handles are pretty indestructible.

I kept this lopper in my deck storage unit all winter long, and the blades contain absolutely no rust. At the end of every fall, I always clean the blades before storing them away for the winter. This probably contributes to the good performance I get from them.

Although this lopper is meant for diameters of 1 1/2", I have used them easily on 2" branches. It takes a little more effort, but the racheting effect of the gears makes a hard job much easier. I have pruned my rose and raspberry bushes, cut offshotts of the spruce and aspen trees around our home, and even cut down some smaller trees that were popping up next to the large trees. For a small guy, it does a big job! I would have a hard time doing this with one of those small 8 or 9 inch hand held pruners.

At 51 years of age I don't have the strength that I used to have, so I love any tools that make my work easier. These definitely do. I love my Fiskars Small PowerGear Lopper! Give it a try if you are in the market for one.

I paid $35.00 for these at my Fred Meyer store.

Fiskars 7972 15 Inch Powergear Anvil Lopper Patio Lawn Garden Gardening

Fiskars 7972 15 Inch Powergear Anvil Lopper Patio Lawn Garden Gardening

Product Description The small and lightweight Fiskars 15-inch PowerGear anvil lopper provides plenty of leverage and strength for most small shrub and...

Fiskars 28 Powergear Bypass Lopper 1-1/2

Fiskars 28 Powergear Bypass Lopper 1-1/2

28 Powergear Bypass Lopper PowerGear Mechanism Increases Leverage to Make Cutting 3X Easier Than Single Pivot Loppers Durable and Lightweight Aluminum...

Fiskars 21 Inch PowerGear Lopper (9627) Outdoor, Home, Garden, Supply, Maintenance

32 in. PowerGear Lopper - 91546935J
Tyler Tool

32 in. PowerGear Lopper - 91546935J
CPO Outlets

Fiskars 21 Inch Powergear Lopper 9627 Cookware Bar Kitchen Home Dining Gift

Fiskars 21 Inch Powergear Lopper 9627 Cookware Bar Kitchen Home Dining Gift

Product Details: Fiskars 21 Inch PowerGear Lopper (9627) Winner of the Arthritis Foundation Ease-of-Use Commendation for supreme ergonomics, this ligh...

Fiskars PowerGear 13-1/4 in. Titanium Anvil Lopper 69725966J

Fiskars PowerGear 13-1/4 in. Titanium Anvil Lopper 69725966J

Shop for Garden Center at The Home Depot. The first time you try our PowerGear Titanium Super Pruner/Lopper, you ll be amazed but it s not magic, it s...
Home Depot

Fiskars 15 Inch Powergear Super Pruner/lopper (7972)

Fiskars 15 Inch Powergear Super Pruner/lopper (7972)

Visit our Store Ask a question FREE SHIPPING Fiskars 15 Inch PowerGear Super Pruner/Lopper (7972) Upgrade to 2-Day Air for just $5.99! Item Descriptio...