Flotec 1/2 Hp Cast Iron Shallow Well Jet Pump Fp4112

New Shallow Well Pump Now Working At Our Home

Apr 2, 2004

Pros:The pump is giving us more water pressure and lots of smiles

Cons:The cost of pumps is rather high I think.

The Bottom Line: If you need a new shallow well pump, consider this brand. So far so good.

Living out in the country has such great advantages. It is peaceful and quiet and beautiful. You can look up at the sky at night and actually see the stars! They are just so bright and white out here in the country.

HOWEVER, there are some disadvantages also. You have well water, which requires the use of a pump. And if that pump dies, well you have no water at all. Over the past five years we have had to replace our shallow well pump 4 times! The first three it was under warranty but this last one, the 4th one, we had to cough up some money to replace it.

So off to Home Depot® we went. Getting there we had in mind to increase the horsepower from ½ to ¾ and those run about 30 to 40 dollars more. Plus, hubby wanted to get a new tank and I just didn’t feel right about getting a new tank. I kept thinking we didn’t need one. It was just the pump that had went out not the tank too. The cost for both was over 300 dollars and we just didn’t have. I stood there crying in the Home Depot® store because I didn’t know how we were going to pay for it all.

I talked hubby into going to Sears® to look before we decided, which we did and their were a lot higher than Home Depots®, so back to Home Depot® we went.

The Product

Flutec® Jet Pump. Cast Iron Shallow Well Jet Pump to be exact. Model FP4112 was a wise choice for us. It has a better one-year warranty (read your manual) than before and it is ½ horsepower (hp) that will allow for a superior performance up to water depths of 25 feet or less.

Capacities of up to 8.5 gallons per minute with a 40 PSI (max pressure of 69 PSI, which is the shut off point). Heavy duty A.O. Smith Motor. This is a good motor my husband said.

It is ready to install for 230 volts. You should see the manual for 115 volts installation.

It has a self-priming ability after the pump housing is initially filled. Check valve or foot valve is required. It is also fully serviceable with easy access clean out.

Pressure switch 30 on 50 off. This is good as well. With a gauge, which you really need, you can watch the pressure as needed. The unit will turn on at around 30 pounds and shut off at 50. This is also an improvement for us. In fact an ATC 2104 pressure gauge is required.

Gallons per minute pumped at different depths of water:

8.5 at 5 feet
7.8 at 10 feet
6.8 at 15 feet
5.6 at 20 feet
4.6 at 25 feet

Thank goodness we were able to use the existing pump. The new pump was a perfect fit for the old tank. The old tank had not rusted out and seemed to still be intact. We are hoping it stays that way. Some time later we can afford it we can get a larger tank.

Installation

Remove the old pump and use the step-by-step directions to install the new pump. There are also pictures to look at. There are to many different types of installations to write in this review. The manual gives a variety of choices for your well.

I do know that there will be a discharge pipe, pressure tank connections, electrical, standard tank connections, preparing to start the pump, priming the pump and turning it on. The manual goes into specific details about each. And maybe some other things that I don’t know about. In fact, I am sure that there is because I didn’t install it, my husband did. It took him about an hour from start to finish. And that was not having to go and get more parts of any kind.

Since my husband works on machinery for a living it was not hard for him at all. He only had to buy the 3 fittings and 1 of those he didn’t use. Again, it was all a perfect fit to the current pump and current plumbing.

Company Info and Cost

Should you like to call and ask questions about Flutec® products you can do so at:

1-800-365-6852

The cost was 158.96 for the cast iron ½ hp. The plastic ½ hp was 148.96. The ¾ hp was 179.96. There were also some 1 and 2 hp available and they cost over 200.00. And of course this brand was also available in a Sprinkler Pump.

How I Feel

This was so unexpected. And for us it was a hefty cost at once. But, the Lord provided and we have water once again in the home. The pressure is indeed better than before but of course over time that will drop because the more the pump is used the more it will wear out. I do hope it last us a good 5 years or longer with no problems.

The Flutec® was a good choice as I mentioned above. It is made well and should last a long time. We were fortunate because my husband was able to hook this new pump up with the current piping with no problems. It was a perfect fit he said. That was a blessing!

It is so nice to have the clothes wash quicker. Before, it took forever for the washer to fill up! But, so far, so good. I have been on a washing spree for it’s spring-cleaning time and I am so glad we were able to get a new shallow well pump.

Over all, I think we will be happy with this unit.

I hope that this has helped in some kind of way.

God Bless!