FolksSoul: Ushinawareta Denshou / Folklore  (Sony Playstation 3, 2007) Reviews

FolksSoul: Ushinawareta Denshou / Folklore (Sony Playstation 3, 2007)

Comic book catastrophe

Feb 20, 2008

Pros:It's graphics are to die for

Cons:slow dialogue and dodgy camera angles

The Bottom Line: It's worth playing if you don't mind slow dialogue.

I purchased this game having not read any previous reviews about it, mainly because there were none at the time. I was very disappointed. The game is slow, all gameplay stops when a character initiates conversation and the story is revealed in comic book like fashion.

So what's it about?

You have the choice of playing one of two characters. Therefore providing two stories that are intertwined with one another. The girls story is connected with her mother and her search for her. The mans story is detective like, he's a supernatural expert and recieves a mysterious phonecall to go to the island.

Gameplay:

While most games opt for the cinematic approach and provide elegantly produced cutscenes to play out each part of the story, Folklore has a page by page comic book style approach. While this is different and a brave and bold step, it is not appreciated by the serious gamer. It changes the pace of the game and you find yourself becoming increasingly annoyed as you have to flick through each page to get 2 mins worth of story. It's a hack and slash with some cool monsters at your disposal for yet more hacking and slashing. The controller is used to aid in capturing the spirits of the demons you kill by tilting it. Fun at first, quickly becomes repetitive and pointless.

Bad Points?

It's one of those hack and slash kind of games but accompanied with slow dialogue and dodgy camera angles. If you can tolerate the pace then you'll have no problem getting to grips with this game. However I feel that a serious gamer would best avoid it. For a next gen console game, I expected something more than written dialogue on the screen. I had flashbacks of playing Silent Hill for the PS1 when playing this game. It's all so slow. The game - although graphically superior to a few of the games currently on the market for the PS2 - was lacking in the speed and presentation of dialogue that would be expected of such a next gen console game.

Good Points?

It's graphics are to die for. Every single inch of the level is beautifully crafted and superbly detailed. You become completely immersed in each level as you wander through it. On another plus note, most of the levels are big enough to become a bit lost on. While this can also be seen as a bad point it provides the opportunity to increase your characters "levels" by fighting more enemies and capturing their spirits. The story is good, just delivered in the wrong way.

Overall:

I'm afraid I'm sitting on the fence with this one. Normally this type of game appeals to me but the way the story is actually told put me off it. I couldn't bear to play it any longer and ended up trading it in. If you can tolerate the slow dialogue (which is written and not spoken most of the time) then give it a go. If not, I suggest you stay well clear of this game, it will only make you hate it.

Title:New PS3 FolksSoul: Ushinawareta Denshou / Folklore PlayStation3 the Best Japan I

Title:New PS3 FolksSoul: Ushinawareta Denshou Best Japan Import