Gift for daughter any time - Collection of "I love you" poems for her!

Dec 18, 2006

Pros:Huge collection of "daughter" poetry, quality-produced book as for paper, illustrations, etc.

Cons:Probably 1/4 is of greeting-card type sentiment, even if well-written.

The Bottom Line: Nice collection of poetry, prose, and excerpts from unknown (greeting card) writers and pros like William Shakespeare and Helen Keller. Quality made book.

This lovely book from Blue Mountain Arts is especially made as a gift for daughters everywhere and anytime, and is perfect for those purposes; so long as the targeted daughter (or giver, for that matter) has a high threshold for poetry AND a fairly high tolerance for SOME greeting-cardish sentiment. Don't get me wrong, most of the poetry herein contained is better than the greeting-card variety, but if you try to read the entire thing at one sitting...well, diabetics might have to up their insulin a little.

If the target daughter is not big on poetry, or just wouldn't be up for a whole book of it, OR if you are blessed with more than one daughter, you could also get this book and keep it yourself, and dole it out to her/them a poem or two at a time on a special occasion or "just because" and you may find it works well that way, too. This way you could eliminate any poems you consider too over-the-top with mushiness, or in any way not appropriate to your parent-daughter relationship, etc.

Right away, I noticed the thick, nice feel to the pages. The book is printed on recycled paper, yet the paper itself is fine, 80-pound paper, acid-free, as is explained at the end of the book. This means that it will be long-lasting (as in for generations). The paper will also stand up to having notes or little additions or asides penned in the margins or other blank spaces, if you really want to personalize it for your special loved one!

Not all poems are just exclusively for daughters; many are poems or snippets of larger works which could apply to anyone, but are blended in with similar poems to serve as either statements of love and/or adoration, or perhaps fatherly advice to a daughter (that could be advice from any older, wiser person to any younger, more inexperienced one), etc. While there are many poems that are written by Blue Mountain Arts "most popular authors" (they mention Susan Polis Schulz as one of these, who has about 10 poems here), there are also many poems or pieces that come from world-class sources: William Shakespeare, Helen Keller, Thomas Moore, etc.

Barbara Cage is one of the poets who has several poems here, and at first I didn't think I'd heard of her work. But her first entry here, with the unwieldy greeting-card-sounding name of "Daughter, I Will Always Be Here With Love For You," does open with lines that I do recall:
"Did you know that I loved you long before you were born?
When I first held you in my arms,
One of my childhood dreams came true."
Now, is it possible that this actually DID come from a greeting card, and the unwieldy "title" is the printing from the front of the card? Hmmmmmm...maybe that's why it's familiar! As I read the other poems by her, I see the same sort of relationship - long or greeting-card-sounding "title", a greeting-card-insides type of verse (even though not rhyming), and in one even a couplet at the end different than the rest of the poetry rhythm and flow that basically says thank you for being my daughter. I strongly suspect that Barbara is one of Blue Mountain Arts (the Greeting Cards Division's) staff or regular writers.

Despite that, there are some really nice (and definitely not just "commercial") poems here, rhyming and free verse, and even just a little prose. In addition to those mentioned above, here are some more contributors: Joan Benicken, Carol Ann Bader, St. Francis de Sales, Emmet Fox, Joseph Addison, Elbert Hubbard, Tim Murdaugh, Ralph Waldo Emerson, and Louise Driscoll ("Hold Fast To Your Dreams"). Those of you who know poetry might well recognize some of the other names that I did not mention.

I think if I had to pick my favorite poem from this book it would be the one by Marin McKay. I'm not familiar with copyright laws relating to how much of a poem (that's in a collection) I can safely quote, so instead of the poem itself I will just tell you the gist of it: The title is "I Think Of You Every Day" tells about how the parent takes delight in thinking about the daughter, even to the point that some days that is just about the only thing that helps her/him get through the day. Parent acknowledges that Daughter probably doesn't even realize how important she is to Parent. The Poet Parent describes just how thinking of Daughter betters her/his world every day, and ends up with "Every day...I think of you. And I've got a million smiles to prove it." I love this poem because it is NOT sucrose-laden, yet the sentiment is very lovely, and also somewhat thought-provoking, but any daughter in the world would be honored indeed to think that she made a parent feel the way this poet describes. It's not deep, deep psychology, either, but it does address more than just beauty and "love" (support, encouragement, making one think, etc.) I'd weep for days if I got (or had gotten) something like this one from either of my parents!

The book also has lovely, understated illustrations. Every few pages there might be a corner illustration of a bunch of daisies, or a half dozen or so hummingbirds will flit around the borders. There are also flower borders, leaf borders, etc. All are discreet; pretty but not overblown (unlike SOME of the poems, eh?). There are ROUGHLY 72 poems/prose pieces/excerpts in this high-quality (re: production) book.

Overall, I do recommend this book, just with the forewarning that there are some rather sugary spots for those of you who have to watch the amount of emotional or mental sugar in your (or your daughter's) diets!