Haier HNCM070E Chest Freezer Reviews

Haier HNCM070E Chest Freezer

GREAT BUY ESPECIALLY IF YOU DON'T HAVE MUCH SPACE!

Jul 27, 2012 (Updated Jul 28, 2012)

Pros:easy storage, doesn't take up too much room, not a lot of frost

Cons:the basket can't handle too much

The Bottom Line: A great buy! Will save you money in the long run!

I am a great shopper, when things are on sale (especially meat), and I know that I will use it eventually, I buy it and freeze it (if of course it can be frozen). The problem is that before we bought a freezer, I would always go a little overboard. My husband would spend at least 30 minutes trying to reorganize the freezer on or refrigerator. It eventually got to the point where he insisted we buy a freezer.

The space problem:
The kitchen in our apartment didn't have a lot of space as it was. I was definitely not interested in making it even smaller. This was actually the perfect size. It also sits about waist high, therefore I can use it as a counter when I'm cooking. I don't cut directly on it because I don't want scratches on it, but if I need to mix something it's the perfect counter space. Also it doesn't take up a lot of floor space which I love.

Staying cool:
I love it because it truly does keep your food frozen. If you've never had a deep freezer, you need to understand that it freezes much deeper than your refrigerator freezer. What may take an hour to thaw out from your regular freezer will take about 2 hours to thaw out from your deep freezer. You can adjust the temperature, but the best way to do it is to pack it full. The freezer uses less energy when it's packed full, because everything is keeping everything else cold.

Frost:
One of the things I was worried about was frost. THIS IS NOT A FROST FREE FREEZER. What I have learned, is that many times the less stuff you have in the freezer the more frost you have. It does come with a scraper that will allow you to safely scrape the frost from the freezer, which will keep the lining from scratching.

Defrost:
There is a plug at the bottom of the freezer, that you can simply unplug to allow the water to drain out, this makes it easy and convenient. You really shouldn't need to defrost your freezer that often anyway but my theory is...don't make more work for yourself no matter how often it has to be done.

Price:
We got ours on sale for President's day. I'm a big fan of sales. I think this ran us about $150 (that's with delivery). My suggestion is to never buy it full price ALWAYS wait for a sale. Unlike a house, an appliance will depreciate in value, so you are going to need to buy your appliances (including this one) when they are at their least expensive.

Storeage:
I was able to store quite a bit in this freezer. Now if you own a huge farm and are looking to store an entire cow in this freezer, it's not going to happen, you will need a bigger freezer. I currently have a myriad of vegetables, some frozen milk, chicken, pork chops, and even some hams in the freezer. I buy my meat and vegetables on sale, and then put them in containers and put them in this freezer. My refrigerator freezer is used for quick foods (TV dinners, ice cream, etc.).

My bill?
One thing that concerned me was the electricity bill. I was worried that my bill would go up significantly with another appliance. I have actually seen no significant difference. Therefore it's easy on the pocketbook which is what I need!

The downside?
In my opinion the basket is a bit of a downer. There is a basket that hangs down into the freezer. It is removable which is nice...but if you take it out what are you going to do with it? The thing is, you can only put so much into the basket because it will begin to bow and eventually fall in. Also, there have been a few times where I have put something into the basket then the lid won't close because it sticks up a little bit. I have found a good use for it though. My husband likes chicken livers so when I bake a chicken, I take the livers out and freeze them and put them into this basket. Also those frozen juices (they come in a kind of tube and you just add water) are perfect to put in this basket. It makes it easier to find as well.

Another downside?
I used to have an upright freezer, it was easy to find what I needed. With a chest freezer like this, you put things in and then forget what you have in there, or have to dig. Here's my suggestion: when you buy something to put in the freezer, make a list with the item and the date, and tape it to your freezer that way you always know. Also I have mine separated (veggies on one side, milk in the bottom, meat on top etc.).

Overall it is a very durable freezer. My twins spend their time trying to destory things in our home. They have thrown sippy cups at the freezer, run those ride on toys right into it, and it is still standing (and surprisingly has no dents!).

Haier America HNCM035E 3.5cf Chest Freezer - White

Haier America HNCM035E 3.5cf Chest Freezer - White

Haier 3.5 cu ft chest freezer, Holds approx. 122 lbs frozen food, 1 removable basket, Power light indicator, manual defrost, defrost drain
Haier Freezer. 22.25 in. W 3.5 cu. ft. Chest Freezer in White HNCM035E

Haier Freezer. 22.25 in. W 3.5 cu. ft. Chest Freezer in White HNCM035E

Shop for Appliances at The Home Depot. Get more room for long-term food storage with Haier s 3.5 cu. ft. Capacity Chest Freezer with space-saving flat...
Home Depot

Haier 3.5 Cu. Ft. Chest Freezer Deep Frozen Storage - Brand

Haier 3.5 Cu. Ft. Chest Freezer Deep Frozen Storage - Brand

PRODUCT OVERVIEW Get more room for long-term food storage with Haier’s 3.5 cu. ft. Capacity Chest Freezer with space-saving flat-back design and dur...

Haier 5.0 Cu. Ft. Chest Freezer HCM050EC

Haier 5.0 Cu. Ft. Chest Freezer HCM050EC

Haier HCM050EC Haier's 5.0 cu. ft. capacity Chest Freezer features a space-saving flat-back design and holds approximately 175 lbs. of frozen food. A...
Wayfair