Frigidaire FAP094P1Z Portable Air Conditioner Reviews

Frigidaire FAP094P1Z Portable Air Conditioner

Good-to-average appliance

Sep 11, 2006
  • User Rating: Very Good

Pros:Normal outlet, easy installation, portability, doesn't take up window space

Cons:Poor water pump/sensor, finicky exhausting for ideal function, noisy

The Bottom Line: If you can get a window or wall a/c unit, do; if you can't, this will work fine for you.

We bought this air conditioner the same day we moved into our new co-op in Brooklyn, NY. It was a hot day and the ceiling fan wasn't cutting it -- neither for us nor the four movers carrying our furniture up a flight and a half of stairs. We had only a few requirements: as big an A/C unit as a local large appliance store sold, not a window unit (we knew we didn't have time to install the correct supports for the largest window unit available), and had to run on a 110/115 outlet as our 220 outlet hadn't been wired yet. Only one a/c unit fit the bill.

For the first two weeks, everything was a-ok. Cooling power met our expectations and the "usual" noises our instruction manual warned us about were right on. (Because this unit sits on the floor inside your room, it's noisier than a window unit; the noise that usually gets directed outside instead stays within your four walls.) Installation was relatively straightforward and the air exhaust and water outflow were easy to set up. Don't let the "portable" label fool you, though: this bad boy weighs a TON and getting it upstairs was difficult. It's only portable in that it has wheels and moves easily once you unpack it. It was simple to redirect the unit, the controls were well labeled and easy to use, and we got used to the noise level quickly even on the highest fan setting throughout the night. Then the problems began.

The unit is both an air conditioner and dehumidifier. It has a water pump which is supposed to get the condensed water out through a small hose that exits your window right next to your air exhaust. After two weeks of perfect functioning and careful attention to detail (no hose kinking, no exhaust vent sagging), the red light indicating that our water bucket was "full" kept coming on. Either the water level sensor wasn't working, or the pump failed. Regardless, the a/c and dehumidifier parts of the unit won't work when the error light is on -- only the fan will run. So we'd get a shallow pan, open the water drain at the bottom of the unit, and restart it. Voila! Perfect function. Until the red light came on again. This is not a problem for rooms with a floor drain or easy access to a floor-level outlet for their water, but we didn't.

A technician jiggled some wires and it's not clear to me whether the problem was the sensor or the pump, but we've had happy cold air since his visit. I'm impressed by the overall function of this unit despite the headache of malfunctions. That being said, we're looking forward to wiring that 220 outlet and properly installing a window unit -- this is a perfectly fine portable a/c but it can't compete against a good wall/window unit.

Frigidaire Portable Air Conditioners 9,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner with Remote White FRA09EPT1

Shop for Heating, Venting & Cooling at The Home Depot. The Frigidaire 9000 BTU Portable Room Air Conditioner with Supplemental Heat is designed to coo...
Home Depot

Frigidaire Portable Room Air Conditioner - Cooler - 5000 BTU/h Cooling Capacity - White

Frigidaire 12,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner w/Heat

Frigidaire 12,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner w/Heat

Find air conditioners at Target.com! Frigidaire 12,000 btu portable air conditioner w/heat

FrigidaireŽ Portable Air Conditioner Fra073pu1 115v, 7000 Cooling Btu

FrigidaireŽ Portable Air Conditioner Fra073pu1 115v, 7000 Cooling Btu

Frigidaire Portable Air Conditioner FRA073PU1 115V, 7000 Cooling BTU Our air conditioners maintain the preset room temperature, so you will remain ...
Global Industrial
Frigidaire  AC  FRA073PU1 7,000-BTU Portable Air Conditioner

Frigidaire AC FRA073PU1 7,000-BTU Portable Air Conditioner

The Frigidaire FRA073PU1 Room Portable Air Conditioner with supplemental 4100 btu Heat pump can help you stay comfortable throughout the year. It's an...

Frigidaire 5,000 BTU 115-Volt Portable Air Conditioner with Remote Control

Frigidaire 5,000 BTU 115-Volt Portable Air Conditioner with Remote Control

Frigidaire 5,000 BTU 115-Volt Portable Air Conditioner with Remote ControlYou just returned from the gym and it's time to relax. With its stylish full...
HSN

Frigidaire Fra053pu1 5,000 Btu Portable Room Air Conditioner A/c Remote

Frigidaire Fra053pu1 5,000 Btu Portable Room Air Conditioner A/c Remote

U p for sale is a brand new in the box Frigidaire FRA053PU1 5,000 BTU Portable Room Air Conditioner. This air conditioner is brand new factory sealed ...

Frigidaire Portable Air Conditioners 7,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner with Remote White FRA073PU1

Shop for Heating, Venting & Cooling at The Home Depot. The Frigidaire 7000 BTU Portable Room Air Conditioner is designed to cool up to 250 sq. ft. Its...
Home Depot

Frigidaire Portable Room Air Conditioner Cooling Capacity 5000 BTU/h White FRA053PU1

Overview 5,000 BTU portable air conditioner uses standard 115V electrical outlet Quickly cools a room up to 216 sq. ft. Dehumidification up to 1.1 pin...
Frigidaire 9,000 BTU 115V Portable Air Conditioner

Frigidaire 9,000 BTU 115V Portable Air Conditioner

Find air conditioners at Target.com! Frigidaire 9,000 btu 115v portable air conditioner