Frost King Foam Spray Air Conditioner Coil Cleaner - ACF19 Reviews

Frost King Foam Spray Air Conditioner Coil Cleaner - ACF19

ratings (2 Epinions reviews)

Excellent product for dirty A/C coils!

Aug 6, 2010

Pros:VERY easy to use, doesn't harm equipment, effectively cleans coils, and leaves a pleasant scent.

Cons:None, other than I wish more stores than Lowes would carry it in stock.

The Bottom Line: This is a MUST for anyone with an air conditioner.  Dirty coils = high electric bills. This product is effective, easy to use, and doesn't harm equipment.

I live in South Florida where the A/C is running almost 11 months out of the year.  This results in dirty coils if a homeowner doesn't keep up with maintenance.  I use the microfiber hypoallergenic filters and change them religiously every month.  However, they never form a perfect seal, so dust and dander always get caught in the coils.

I used to take a wire brush every 6 months (very dirty job) and gently scrape out the debris.  However, this unit (which is 9 years old) started running almost 24 hours a day for the past 2 months.  Granted, we have had a very hot summer, but I still didn't think this was normal.  I called an A/C tech out to check the unit.  He said that the coils were only about 50% clogged (he didn't seem too concerned about that, but I would think that this is fairly heavy blockage) and the freon was fine, so he chalked it up to hot weather.

After getting a $450 electric bill, I decided to check the coils myself.  I tried shining a flashlight through the coils and was shocked that almost no light came through the other side.  So I did a little checking around and found this product on Lowe's website.  There were 3 reviews and all 3 commented how easy it was to use and it left a really pleasant scent.

Since the store was out of stock, I ordered it on line.  When it arrived, I read the instructions.  They recommended that the drain line be cleaned first before using the product, so I bought a bottle of drain cleaner for A/C drains and it removed the sludge which looked like a cardiac patient's heart valves ready for bypass surgery.

Applying the product couldn't be easier: I shook the can and sprayed the entire coil on both sides. Within 2 minutes, the foam dissipated to a liquid and ran down the coils into the drain pan.  The best feature of this product is that there is no rinsing required; as soon as you turn the A/C unit back on, the condensation rinses the residue and dirt down the drain.  The house filled with the most pleasant lemon scent and I was amazed at the increase in airflow because the coils were no longer blocked.

The instructions recommend that for heavy buildup that a second application should be done.  Mine didn't require it.  The product is safe for all parts of the A/C unit, and doesn't disintegrate the aluminum fins (which I believe that older products would deteriorate the aluminum).

This product can also be used for the outside (evaporator) coils, window units, car radiators, and more.

My central A/C now cycles like it used to during the morning and evening hours (midday is normal for it to run almost continuously in South Florida heat) and the entire house has a consistent temperature because the airflow is no longer impeded.

I highly recommend this product for any homeowner with a center air-conditioning unit.  As long as you follow the directions, you will find it a highly effective and easy to use product.  You will also save on your electric bill since your A/C will be running at peak performance.

As far as I know, Lowe's is the only store that carries the brand (Home Depot has another similar product, but reviews on that one had constant complaints about the odor left behind).  If your local Lowes doesn't have it in stock, or you don't have a Lowes close to your home, you can order it at http://www.lowes.com .  The only downside is that you will have to pay a small shipping fee.

I have nothing but accolades for this product and no complaints.  It wins an A+ in my grade book (I'm a teacher).

Frost King E/O 1-1/2 in. x 36 in. White Plastic Brush Door Bottom Sweep C35PH

Frost King E/O 1-1/2 in. x 36 in. White Plastic Brush Door Bottom Sweep C35PH

Shop for Hardware at The Home Depot. With its PVC brush bottom, the Frost King 1/4 in. x 36 in. Plastic Brush Door Bottom Sweep is great for use with ...

Frost King Air Conditioner Foam Side Panels AC14

Frost King Air Conditioner Foam Side Panels AC14

Insulate or replace existing side panels. Reduces noise and vibrations.
Lowe's

Frost King L346 Polyurethane Foam Tape 1/2-inch, Charcoal

Frost King L346 Polyurethane Foam Tape 1/2-inch, Charcoal

Visit our Store Ask a question FREE SHIPPING Frost King L346 Polyurethane Foam Tape 1/2-Inch, Charcoal Upgrade to 2-Day Air for just $5.99! Item Descr...

Frost King 1/2x20'foam Caulk Saver Do It Poly Foam Caulk Saver

Frost King 1/2x20'foam Caulk Saver Do It Poly Foam Caulk Saver

Frost King 1/2X20'FOAM CAULK SAVER Do it Poly Foam Caulk Saver NEW
Foam Tapes: Frost King E/O 20 in. x 28 in. Quilted Fabric Indoor Air Conditioner Cover AC11H

Shop for Hardware at The Home Depot. The Frost King 20 in. x 28 in. Quilted Fabric Indoor. Air Conditioner Cover is designed to stop drafts from comin...
Home Depot

Frost King WV21H Wood and Vinyl Clad Foam Door Sets with Stop 1/1/2-Inch by 17-Foot

From the Manufacturer Frost King Wood and Vinyl Clad Foam Door Sets with Stop can be nailed in place around wood framed doors, then stained or painted...
Foam Tapes: Frost King E/O 18 in. x 27 in. x 16 in. Vinyl Outside Window Air Conditioner Cover for Small Units AC2H

Shop for Hardware at The Home Depot. The Frost King 18 in x 27 in x 16 in Vinyl Outside Window Air Conditioner Cover for Small Units is designed to he...

Frost King Sponge Rubber Foam Tape (1-1/4in.x10 Ft.). Model: R516H

Frost King Sponge Rubber Foam Tape (1-1/4in.x10 Ft.). Model: R516H

Adhesive Foam Seal, Overall Length 10 Ft., Overall Width 1-1/4 In., Overall Height 7/16 In., Color Black, Material Sponge Rubber
Grainger

Frost King R738ha Sponge Rubber Foam Tape,3/8in.x10 Ft.

Frost King R738ha Sponge Rubber Foam Tape,3/8in.x10 Ft.

Adhesive Foam Seal, Overall Length 10 ft., Overall Width 3/8 In., Overall Height 7/16 In., Color Black, Material Sponge Rubber
Zoro

Foam Tapes: Frost King E/O 2-1/4 in. x 42 in. Air Conditioner Weather-Strip AC43H

Shop for Hardware at The Home Depot. Help increase the operating efficiency of a window air conditioner (not included) with the Frost King 2-1/4 in. x...