Fujifilm FinePix 2800 Zoom 2.0 MP Digital Camera - Silver Reviews

Mar 13, 2003

• Battery Life:
  • Photo Quality:
  • Shutter Lag

Pros:Excellent photo quality, ease of use, EVF

Cons:LCD/EVF very dark

The Bottom Line: If you have $250 to blow on a solid 2MP camera, go for it.

This has been a much-reviewed camera (I read almost all of them before buying), so I'll keep it brief. Everything that you about what is wrong with this camera is pretty much correct.
The dark LCD/EVF (electronic viewfinder, like a camcorder) problem is VERY troubling. In a dimly-lit room, both viewfinders are utterly useless. Point your camera in the direction of your subject and hope for the best. I figured I wasn't wasting any film, so just "bracket" a couple of pictures, then delete the ones you don't want. That's kind of the point of digital, right?
The auto-focus lag is pretty long. I have a 4-month-old son whose smiles are fleeting. I have to be pretty quick on the trigger to catch them. Riding the auto-focus seems to be the way to go, though it has to drain the batteries.
Speaking of batteries, I haven't had too much trouble with battery usage. I upgraded from a Sony that ate alkalines for breakfast (two at a time), so being able to fill up a 64MB card or two on one set of AAs is like Nirvana for me.
I test-drove the 2800 at WalMart and was concerned that it didn't seem very sturdy. Putting 4 AAs in it made all the difference, though. It feels great in your hand and is very comfortable and natural to hold.
The bundled software is horrendous. Grab the drivers from the CD and put it away.
I also bought the 2800 to perform as a PC cam, which is one of the initial reasons I pursued a Fuji. As a PC Camera, the 2800 gets a D-. Images are dark and discolored and there are NO camera controls. Oh well...

On the up-side, the image quality of all 6 settings (3 levels of 2 mega-pixels, 2 of 1 mega-pixels, and VGA) is excellent for a camera in this price-range.
I don't know about you, but the fewer variables, the better. I have never used the Sepia-tone, Black and White, mirrored, solarize or any special effects on previous digitals or my camcorder. That's what PhotoShop is for.
The menus are easy to navigate, though there is a different menu of setup options under each function (Movie, Playback and Picture), and I have a tendency to forget what is where.
The flash recycle time is amazing, especially compared to my last camera (see battery-hog above).
The movie with sound mode is great. A well-lit room (or outdoors) is required for good quality video. I've found it very useful. My only beef? If I push any button on the camera while recording, it comes through LOUD and clear on the mic ("THUNK!").
I haven't used the voice memo feature, and perhaps never will.
All in all, I am very happy with the Fuji 2800. The pros definitely outweigh the cons.

This Camera is a Good Choice if You Want Something... Flexible Enough for Enthusiasts

Fujifilm FinePix S8200 16 MP 40 X ZOOM Digital Camera with 3-Inch LCD (Black)

. The S8200 bridge camera features something for everyone. Highly regarded for their high precision FUJINON lenses, simplicity and compact design, the...
Beach Camera.com

BuyDig.com

Fujifilm FinePix S2800HD 14 MP Digital Camera with 18x Wide Optical Zoom and 3.0-Inch LCD

14-megapixel resolution; 18x wide-angle zoom (28mm-504mm equivalent) HD Movie at 720p with sound; 3.0-inch LCD with viewfinder: Photos at 1080p resolu...
Fujifilm FinePix Z33WP 10MP Waterproof Digital Camera with 3x Optical Zoom (Pink)

Fujifilm FinePix HS50EXR 8GB Digital Camera Kit

Fujifilm FinePix HS50EXR 8GB Digital Camera Kit

FUJINON 42x Optical Manual Zoom (24 - 1,000mm)* Super Macro The Fujinon optical 42x manual zoom lens (24 - 1,000mm)* effectively combines aspherica...
Beach Camera.com

Fujifilm FinePix HS50EXR Digital Camera

Fujifilm FinePix HS50EXR Digital Camera

BuyDig.com

Fujifilm FinePix T550 16MP Digital Camera with 7.2x Optical Zoom - Red

Fujifilm FinePix T550 16MP Digital Camera with 7.2x Optical Zoom - Red

Find digital cameras at Target.com! Fujifilm finepix t550 16mp digital camera with 12x optical zoom is a small but mighty point and shoot digital came...

Fujifilm FinePix S2950 14 MP Digital Camera with Fujinon 18x Wide Angle Optical Zoom Lens and 3-Inch LCD

14-megapixel CCD sensor; 18x wide-angle optical zoom lens Motion Panorama shooting mode 720p HD movie capture; mini-HDMI output Easy upload to Faceboo...

Fujifilm 16286412 FinePix HS50EXR - digital camera

Fujifilm FinePix HS50EXR - Digital camera - compact - 16.0 Mpix - 42 x optical zoom - Fujinon
MacMall