Fujitsu fi 6130 Flatbed Scanner Reviews

Fujitsu fi 6130 Flatbed Scanner

One Step Closer to the Paperless Office

Mar 10, 2011

Pros:very fast, easy to set up and install, can be used with multiple software packages

Cons:sticker shock, no exit chute tray

The Bottom Line: Scanning large groups of documents at one time becomes easy with the Fujitsu FI-6130 scanner.  It makes the mythical "paperless office" seem more realistic!

If you are in business you have likely heard about the mythical "paperless office".  To me, it is mythical because we have been unable to wean ourselves from the hard paper copies that we use to perform our office tasks.  However, we continue making the attempt to build a foundation that will allow us to pry the pages out of our hands and replace all those filing cabinets with a server that will hold the electronic documentation that we generate.  To make this work, one of the things you need is a good, dependable scanner that is easy to use and efficient in reading in documents.  Our IT consultant recommended that we invest in a Fujitsu FI-6130 Document Scanner.  With a price near $800, I was less than excited by the prospect.  Having worked with this unit for a couple of months, I am now actively seeking opportunities to scan more documents!

At first glance this scanner is an impressive looking unit.  It has a small footprint, requiring the desk space equivalent to that of a shoe box.  With a weight of 15 pounds and sturdy contact points on the bottom, it is going to stay in one place.  There are minimal buttons on the front of the unit, and all of these are well-labeled and self-explanatory.  The machine has an automatic document feeder on the top and an exit chute on the bottom; both of these collapse into the unit to allow for easier storage.

We opened the box, plugged the scanner USB into the computer, and began the installation process.  The installation was without incident, giving us the necessary drivers for the machine.  The Fujitsu also comes with Kofax VRS and Adobe Acrobat Standard 9.0.  the Kofax is going to be your main tool for document management, and Acrobat is your tool for working with the document itself.  Within 15 minutes we were scanning that first page.  The Fujitsu has both TWAIN and ISIS driver availability, which allows the user to scan from multiple exterior programs like Photoshop.

When in action, this scanner is really impressive...and fun to use.  The automatic document feeder pulls those pages in very quickly.  The feeder will hold over 50 pages, and will give you a warning if you have the feeder too full.  To date, we have not had the first misfeed.  At the 300dpi setting the pages absolutely fly through.  The speed drops when you change to 600dpi, and the 1200dpi setting is almost too slow.  If you are scanning black and white documents that are mainly text I found the 300dpi setting to be adequate.  We typically do not use the OCR text recognition when scanning, as we have really had no need for it; on the documents that we do need OCR on we usually do that after the fact using the Adobe software.  This makes the process much quicker and more efficient.  For those using the scanner in an office setting, it is very quiet and should not affect anyone's ability to talk on a telephone or get work done while scanning.

Scan quality is very good.  As mentioned, for general business documents we have found the 300dpi setting to be optimal.  For those pages that have small print or fancy fonts you might change to 600dpi to ensure that your print is crystal-clear.  You do have the ability to scan in color, and the machine does a great job, but it is much slower than the black and white processing.  The files for your average black and white file are pretty small, and I would estimate that you would require approximately 1MB of space for every 100 documents scanned and saved.

One annoyance that I have is the exit chute.  The pages scan through the feeder and come out of the exit chute, which does not have a tray or holder for the completed pages.  At first we had them sliding through and going all over my assistant's desk.  Adding a paper tray helped make the end result much more orderly and organized.

One might wonder if this unit is worth the price.  My only experience with scanning technology has been the (very cheap) flat tray scanners that do not have document feeding ability.  By comparison this is another world entirely.  What I can attest to is that this unit can add efficiency to your process and eliminate some of the paper that you have in your office or home.  We now scan incoming documents, shred the original, and save the scanned copy to a folder on the network.  The document is now housed in a safe place, the information on the original is destroyed (helping with confidential data), and less space is needed for files.  Are we totally paperless?  Hardly...but we are closer.

For those thinking about sticking a toe in the paperless office pool, you will certainly need a high-quality scanner to go from paper to PDF.  This Fujitsu FI-6130 warrants your consideration; I think you will find it to be a good investment.

Interface: USB

Fujitsu Fi-6770 Flatbed Scanner - 600 Dpi Optical - 24-bit Color - 8-bit Graysca

Transform your paper documents into useful electronic data in a flash with the intelligent scanning features of the Fujitsu fi-6770 production scanner...

Fujitsu fi-6770A Flatbed Scanner - 600 dpi Optical

Fujitsu fi-6770A Flatbed Scanner - 600 dpi Optical

Increase efficiency in production environments with advancedscanning intelligence and high reliability.Designed with outstanding paper handling, fast ...
Office Depot

Brand New Fujitsu fi-6770 Flatbed Scanner - 600 dpi Optical - 24-bit Color - 8-bit Grayscale - USB

Newegg.com

Fujitsu fi-5530C2 Pass-Through Scanner

Fujitsu fi-5530C2 Pass-Through Scanner

Fujitsu fi-5530C2 Scanner 600 DPI 50/100 DUPLEX 100 ADF LGL USB 2 / SCSI-2 INTFC
ScanTastik

Fujitsu fi-6770 Flatbed Scanner - 600 dpi Optical

Fujitsu fi-6770 Flatbed Scanner - 600 dpi Optical

Usually ships within 3 business day
Fujitsu fi-6670 Scanner with PaperStream IP

Fujitsu fi-6670 Scanner with PaperStream IP

Fujitsu fi-6670 Scanner with PaperStream IP 90/180 IPM DPLX 200ADF 11x17 SCSI/USB 2.0 INTFC
ScanTastik

Fujitsu Fi-6770 Pa03576-b165 90 Ppm Color Duplex 90 Day Warranty Fi6770

Fujitsu Fi-6770 Pa03576-b165 90 Ppm Color Duplex 90 Day Warranty Fi6770

Fujitsu Fi-4340c Usb High Speed Color Duplex Scanner Pa03277-b015 - In Box

Fujitsu Fi-4340c Usb High Speed Color Duplex Scanner Pa03277-b015 - In Box

The future is here with the new fi-4340C departmental production scanner from Fujitsu, the leader in document imaging. Combining fast color, monochrom...