GE 18-Quart Roaster Oven Reviews

GE 18-Quart Roaster Oven

The GE Roaster Oven 169031 is NOT a Turkey. It cooks your Goose, Beautifully!

Feb 14, 2006

Pros:I love everything about this. Its great looks and its great performance.

Cons:That I waited so long to get one.

The Bottom Line: This is such a versatile appliance, it roasts, bakes and makes life much easier.

After reading a glowing Review by Steelfan about the General Electric 18-Quart Roaster 169031, I knew I’d love to own one.

Thanksgiving was coming up, and, remembering his review, I rushed to Wal-Mart and looked at them. They were on sale for only $28.88 and several of the boxes also included a buffet server in the package. How could I resist? I didn’t. of course, I bought one and hurried home to set it up.

Unpacking the GE Roaster

The ROASTING OVEN has a gleaming white exterior and a black porcelain interior. There’s a black handle on each end for easy carrying, with a lid rest in both handles. The electrical cord is not removable and is the polarized type. It is only 26” long.

The oven is 13” high with the lid on, 14 ” wide and 24” long, including the handles. These are my own measurements, so allow for ignorance. I didn’t weigh it, nor could I find the weight anywhere, but I can lift if and it didn’t weigh as much as, say, a vacuum cleaner.

On the front there‘s a TEMPERATURE CONTROL, OFF or 150o - 450o, marked in 50o increments, and a small red “Preheating “ indicator light, which turns off when the correct temp is reached. The LID, also, is gleaming white with a centered black handle (2 screws hold it on) and it has two small vent holes to let steam escape.

The ROASTING PAN is removable and is of a beautiful black enamel on steel construction. The top rim is rounded and the two ends are extended, making it easy to lift it out of the roaster oven. This pan is not dishwasher safe, but I later learned it was a cinch to clean. The Roaster is never to be used without the Roasting Pan.

There’s a chrome plated ROASTING RACK that fits down in the pan, which makes it easy to lift out your turkey or roast, etc., using its handles.

The BUFFET SERVER is a black porcelain frame, which rests atop the roaster and has 3 pans, the size and shape of meat loaf or bread pans. These pans fit down into the holes in the server. The idea is to put water in the roaster itself, set the server frame on top, and place the food-filled server pans in the holes, replace the lid, and you can keep your food hot at 150o or higher. It is not for cooking the food, per se, but for keeping your guests happy with hot food!

A small 10-page manual is enclosed, one side written in English and the other in Spanish. Besides directions, it has a cooking guide, temperature and cooking times, and a few recipes. There's a two-year limited warranty on the Roaster Oven.

Warnings

I'm sure that you would read the Warnings that are listed in the manual. Like this is an electrical appliance, it will get hot, it should not be submersed in water, you must plug it in, and there will be steam, so use potholders.

Manufacturers, fearing lawsuits, cover everything in the world that could pose a potential danger to the public. ALWAYS READ THE WARNINGS. They can save you a lot of grief and misunderstanding.

What the GE Roaster Oven 169031 Can Do

I was surprised to learn that you can use this to cook many things besides turkey or roasts. It can be used as a slow cooker for dishes like soups, stews, chicken tetrazzini, etc.

You can also make muffins and pies, cookies, cupcakes, pizza, and any other baked goods you can think of. In other words, it is similar to a huge toaster oven.

Baked potatoes, squash, scalloped potatoes, apples, etc. are sure candidates for the Roaster. It is super for baking large quantities of potatoes for a crowd.

The instructions also mention that you can cook convenience foods in this. Like I mentioned, think of this as a super-size toaster oven.

To do this baking you place the rack in the Roaster Pan and place your metal (recommended) pans directly on the Roasting Rack. For potatoes and squash, etc. just place them on the rack itself, after piercing them, of course!

My Experience with this GE ROASTING OVEN

As I mentioned, I purchased this with Thanksgiving in mind. I roasted a 14-lb fresh turkey in this, last November.

I washed the roasting pan and rack first, as instructed, preheated the oven to 350o, and waited till the light went off, indicating that it had reached the proper temperature.

I placed the stuffed turkey on the rack, removed the lid, hanging it on the lid rest, and lowered the rack with turkey into the oven, replaced the lid, and walked away to do other things. The turkey fit easily into the Roaster.

The instructions say you can roast up to a 22-lb. Prebasted turkey in this. I'm not familiar with the term, but mention it in case you know what it means.

Our turkey came out brown and moist. It truly was delicious. I opened it only twice to baste it. I could have placed potatoes and veggies in with it as is pictured on the box, but I didn't do that.

It was so easy to lift the rack out when the turkey was done. I loved it. I made the gravy right in the roaster and patted myself on the back for having made such a smart purchase. The pan and rack washed up easily with soapy water. No problems at all.

Since then I've made muffins and cooked frozen foods in the roaster and I've been more than satisfied with it. Since writing this Review, I am eager to try more foods in it. I've learned new things from the manual just by researching this.

Final Words and Recommendations

The GE Roaster Oven 169031 is such a versatile appliance that I'm sorry I never had one before.

For family cooking it can't be beat. Using it cuts down on heat in the kitchen, as compared with how an oven on your stove can heat it up.

You can roast, bake, and keep foods warm, as I've described above. It's hands-off cooking and gives a person great peace of mind. And it's so inexpensive compared to toaster ovens. I never tried toast in mine, but I'll bet it would work.

I highly recommend it. It does everything it says it will, and does it beautifully. You don't need to wait for Thanksgiving. Easter is around the corner. How great will this be for baking that ham or turkey and veggies?

I'll tell you if I need to update this. As always, thanks for reading my Review, and thanks, KENT, for your review that influenced my purchase.

Happy Roasting!

Lorace 2006

Steelfan's Review

Proctor-Silex 18-Quart Roaster Oven 32190

Proctor-Silex 18-Quart Roaster Oven 32190

Proctor-Silex 32190 Free up your other kitchen appliances and use this spacious roaster oven to cook your chicken or roast to perfection! An easy lif...
Wayfair

Proctor Silex 32190y 18 Quart Portable Kitchen Countertop Roaster Oven - White

Proctor Silex 32190y 18 Quart Portable Kitchen Countertop Roaster Oven - White

VMInnovations Mobile Electronics Home Electronics Sports Outdoors Toys Baby For Your Home NEW Proctor Silex 32190Y 18 Quart Portable Durable CounterTo...

Nesco 18-quart Professional Roaster Oven, Stainless Steel Base, Aluminum Lid, An

Nesco 18-Quart Professional Roaster Oven, Stainless Steel Base, Aluminum Lid, an , New, Free Shipping Even, Energy-Efficient Cooking Foods Are Cooked ...

Nesco 6-Quart Roaster Oven, Nonstick - Stainless Steel

Nesco 6-Quart Roaster Oven, Nonstick - Stainless Steel

Find rotisseries and roasters at Target.com! The nesco 6-quart roaster oven can steam, bake, roast and slow cook your favorite recipes. It uses circle...

Nesco 5 Quart Porcelain Cookwell Roaster Oven;Red
Quill.com

Hamilton Beach 32184 18 Quart Roaster Oven W/Stainless Steel Lid & Buffet Pans

Hamilton Beach 32184 18 Quart Roaster Oven W/Stainless Steel Lid & Buffet Pans

You can roast, bake, cook and serve with ease using this Hamilton Beach 18-qt Roaster Oven. It makes cooking food a breeze with all of its handy featu...

Nesco 4818-14-30 18 qt. Roaster Oven - Ivory - 4818-14-30

Nesco 4818-14-30 18 qt. Roaster Oven - Ivory - 4818-14-30

Shop for Roasters from Hayneedle.com! There's no trick to using the Nesco 4818-14-30 18 qt. Roaster Oven Ivory, but you'll need some help eating all t...
Hayneedle

Nesco 18 Quart Nonstick Roaster Oven 4808-14-30

Nesco 18 Quart Nonstick Roaster Oven 4808-14-30

Nesco 4808-14-30 Features: -Single chrome steel rack includes handles for safe, easy insertion & removal of hot foods.-Circle of Heat element for mois...
Wayfair

Nesco Professional Porcelain Roaster Oven - Silver (18 Quart)

Nesco Professional Porcelain Roaster Oven - Silver (18 Quart)

Find rotisseries and roasters at Target.com! Whether cooking for your big family gathering, your daycare kids, or your church group, the nesco 18-quar...