GE JASRM24912 Remote Control Reviews

3 consumer reviews
Average Product Rating: OK

Free Shipping Quill.com
+$5.01 shipping Walmart.com

It was cheap and it works the TV. That's about it.

Apr 14, 2008 (Updated May 4, 2008)

Pros:It was cheap.

Cons:But it isn't good.

The Bottom Line: You really ought to avoid this one. It's not awful, but it could be much better.

Recently, I bought a "new-to-me" Philco television for my garage/den, for which I paid the princely sum of $5 at the local thrift shop. I've bought a number of televisions there, and none of them ever come with a remote control.

This one was no different.

So I went to our local Big Lots store and picked up this GE remote control for $4. A good deal, right?

Well, yeah ... but ...

You can definitely tell Jasco, which makes GE-branded remotes these days, cut costs wherever they could on this one.

Now, don't get me wrong, it's got a lot of features. It's just frustrating to use most of them. To press the Setup/Shift button and THEN hit the feature you want, particularly when you must do so repeatedly, is tiresome.

Let's talk about the buttons. They're tiny. When you're blessed (cursed?) with large fingers and thumbs as I am, tiny buttons are a pain on a lot of products, and this remote is as much or more of a pain in that regard than most. The only saving grace on some tiny-button remotes is that some are lighted or glow in the dark to make it easier to pick out the proper button in no- or low-light conditions.

Sadly, the 24912 is not lighted, nor does it glow, so it's that much more difficult to use.

It also doesn't have a TV/VCR button, so if you're planning to use it for a VCR, forget that now. It can be done, but you need to keep a videotape handy to play briefly in order to make that switch. That's yet another annoyance. I realize VCRs are "antiquated," but I know I'm not the only person who still uses one. Can we not have that one extra button here?

Finally, the 24912 does not operate the new breed of coupon-eligible DTV set-top boxes that I've tried (Magnavox and Insignia), so if that's your goal, let me save you the trouble now. LOOK ELSEWHERE!

If I'd paid more than $4 for this remote, I'd have taken it back, but it does do a good job with the TV, despite its many shortcomings. If it's cheap you want, this one is that. It's sad that it isn't anything more.

UPDATE MAY 4, 2008: I gave up on using this remote with the Philco TV. It was much too frustrating. So, I moved the GE remote inside, where it works OK with the RCA TV in my living room. In fact, it operates that television without any programming, as GE and RCA televisions were made by the same company. I still find it incredibly annoying and hard to use, but at least it's less of a pain with that TV.

Controls up to 3 devices including TV, cable/satellite and DVD/VCR. Menu navigation
Quill.com