-8%

Epinions Product Rating: OK

+$7.50 shipping Walmart.com

Domestic Bliss Achieved For A Measly $3.00

Nov 29, 2008

Pros:Easy to program, inexpensive, light weight, small.

Cons:Buttons don't light up, can be a little hard to get used to.

The Bottom Line: Need a replacement remote?  This will control three devices, doesn't cost a lot and works with almost every cable system, DVD player and television.

I have never had good luck with remote controls for electronics. It's not that they get lost but rather they seem to multiply. Choosing a universal remote can be a taxing event; there are so many to choose from and the prices can range from about five dollars into the hundreds. Since I still have a few weeks left on bed rest the remote control for the television is a necessity but not everyone in the house shares the same feeling on that. If I fall asleep or decide to go online everyone assumes that the remote is fair game. I never thought that I would have to buy an additional remote control until the other died, the buttons wore out or it failed to operate the electronics in the livingroom.

Going into this I knew that I couldn't trust anyone else to make the purchase; I asked Tommy and my brother to get me a cheap remote that I could keep by the bed and they laughed at me. "You don't need another remote, the one that’s there is in perfect shape". Yeah, it's in great shape but it does me no good when it is on the couch or some place else in the room. Sure, I can get into the wheelchair and scurry around to get it but that's a waste of time and something that I shouldn't have to do. I get out of the house one day a week and decide that Wal-Mart would be the best place to go to get something that was inexpensive but wouldn't be a pain to program.

I've been spoiled with remotes that have light up buttons so going with this one took a little bit of time to get used to. The remote has buttons to control the volume, channels, all DVD and VHS functions, cable and satellite options, mute, recall / previous channel, info, sleep and a ten number key pad. The buttons to operate the DVD or VHS functions are a little on the small side but this isn't something that concerns me, as long as I can turn the television off and on and adjust the volume with it, I am a happy camper. One of the nicest things about this is that the channel and volume buttons are in the middle of the remote; the curve of it makes it easy to hold and operate the buttons but as I said, it does take a little bit of time to get used to the size and weight of it.

Programming it was a breeze, I didn't have to do anything to program the television, it worked right out of the package. The DVD player was a bit more difficult and I gave up on it a few times. Eventually I figured it out but it isn't something that I use all that often. One gripe about this is the size of the on / off button. It's small and at the top of the remote, it doesn't get pressed accidentally but if you need to turn the television off in a hurry it can be a little difficult. I have the television set up to show closed captions when the mute button is activated, for whatever reason when I press the mute button on this remote it does the same thing. Did the television remember the programming sequence for it or was it programmed to do that from the factory? Whatever the case, it is nice to know that it repeats that command.

On a side note, there is a line on the back of the card that says, "No set up required for most GE, RCA and Prosan models". The television in the livingroom is an RCA so that helps to explain how the remote worked right out the package.

There wasn't a price on this on the shelf at Wal-Martso I tossed it in my basket and went to the price scanner; when it came up at $3.00 I knew that I had to get it because even if it was a completely horrible remote, it could still be used in a pinch when a remote was lost or died. Thankfully it has worked out great and there are no longer any fights about the remote. Well, there are fights but it's usually when I wake up to the television blaring and can adjust the volume without having to ask for the remote back. Its amazing how three dollars put and end to the squabbling and bickering.

You don’t get batteries with this so make sure that you get some AAA sized batteries before you leave the store. This has a pretty cool power down function that prevents the batteries from getting drained; if a button is pressed for more than thirty seconds it stops the command. This is something that every remote should have, especially for people that fall asleep on the couch and the remote ends up in the cushions. For the life of me I have no idea how Tommy could fall asleep on the remote and not feel it but it happens all the time.

This comes with a limited 90 day warranty but for three dollars, well, it doesn’t pay to ship it to them if there is something wrong with it. If it is going to break or have a defect, you will know about it in short order so you can return it to where you purchased it for an exchange. Since it is a GE product I had a little more faith in it than the others that were shelved with it, for three dollars I got a remote that does what I want it to and when I am up and out of bed in a few weeks I can reprogram it to be used on other televisions or in other rooms. The 24912 might not have all the bells and whistles that other higher priced remotes have but for my needs, it was the best pick and so far I am impressed with how it is working out for me.

Since this is small and inexpensive, it’s a great pick for a stocking stuffer. If you are always losing remotes or have battles over them, this is a quick fix. Hey, its always nice to screw with people that don't know about the other remote so grab one of these and ht the mute button when the football scores are being announced or to silence SpongeBob SquarePants for a couple minutes.

As always, thanks for the visit…

~^V^~ Freak ~^V^~