GE Digital Blender 169169 /169175 Reviews

GE Digital Blender 169169 /169175

ratings (10 Epinions reviews)
Epinions Product Rating: OK

GE Digital Blender - Designed For Weekends

Sep 20, 2008 (Updated Sep 23, 2008)

Pros:powerful motor handles anything, many functions, add items to blender with ease, good clean-up

Cons:operating it takes some getting used to

The Bottom Line: This is an affordable and yet powerful blender from GE that looks sleek and modern.  Once you get used to it, you'll be happy you bought it.

The blender we used to own was typical of the bulky blenders I remember from my youth. It looked utilitarian and had lots of buttons on it. But hey, it worked and that was all that mattered. Until it stopped working.

Now loving my weekend margaritas, I could never be without a blender for long. A trip to the only appliance store in the area gave us a limited selection, but this was an emergency. We brought home the GE Digital Blender.

This is an attractive blender in many ways. It has a modern look to it, being devoid of buttons with an electronic panel that lights up instead. Rather than numbers to indicate speed, this has settings for a variety of functions including mince, grate, grind, beat, liquefy, whip, stir, aerate, puree, crumb, chop, and blend. The look of housing is nice with a smooth black plastic, which matches the top of the pitcher. The pitcher itself is clear heavy glass with measurements on it. The lid has a clear piece to it that comes out to add items while the blender is in operation.

Operating it took some getting used to. After it was plugged in, the light for the power button was lit. My first inclination is that mean the power is on and to start pressing buttons for what I want on the front of the controls. Well, that didn't work. After a few more tries that were errors, I resorted to pulling out the instruction book. I haven't needed an instruction book for a blender in... forever.

It should be a no-brainer that the power switch needs to be pressed first, but it wasn't, and it wasn't just me. Everyone in the house who used the GE Digital Blender ran into the same frustration the first time they used it. Once the power is on, the high speed indicator light lights up. This means it's ready to operate and the desired blending speed can be selected.

A really nice feature is the ability to use the quick settings that are near the power button. These are two automatic settings that will adjust the speed of the blender automatically during the cycle for the desired result. The two settings are salsa and drink. Now, I've never thought about using a blender to make salsa, but I can definitely say that the drink setting does make a perfect frozen margarita.

All of the settings indicated do virtually the same thing, alternating between speeds to produce the desired result. This is a result of GE's PerfectBlend technology. I've mostly used it for drinks, but many functions of the GE Digital Blender can take the place of a food processor.

The 600-watt motor does an excellent job handling the toughest jobs. I can't believe how easily it crushes the ice, even when I put in whole cubes. The thick glass of the pitcher also serves to insulate blended foods a bit and I've found the ice stays pretty good and the drinks stay frozen for a longer period of time after they are blended. The pitcher holds enough for about four regular-sized drinks. The total measurement on the side is 48 ounces.

I use the blender mostly for drinks, and even when making smoothies, the fruits I put in come out smooth and not at all chunky. There are some great recipes included in the instruction booklet, and it also gives a good place to start experimenting from. In addition to my margaritias and the smoothies, the kids have used it for milkshakes.

The GE Digital Blender is rather noisy, even taking into account that grinding ice would be noisy. When this appliance is on, everyone in the house knows it. I can be in the bathroom with the shower running, and I hear the blender going.

Cleaning up the GE Digital Blender is very easy. The pitcher, cover, and blade all can go into the dishwasher. It's easy to get apart. I can wipe down the motor base with a damp cloth for any spatters. Once back together, the blade housing fits snugly into the motor base without difficulty. It's a snug fit for when it's resting on the counter. However, when I carry it to put it on the pantry shelf, I notice it does feel somewhat lopsided and top-heavy.

If you're looking for a strong blender that does what it's supposed to and is affordable, this blender from GE will definitely fit the bill. It's not fancy but it does look nice, and it makes great drinks. The powerful motor handles ice with ease and there are enough funtions easily available that it will take away some of the work your food processor does. Using it does take a bit of getting used to, but after a few times of having to take out the instruction booklety, we've figured it out.