I know this microwave isn't in production any longer, but if you're potentially considering buying a used one - I'd recommend avoiding it!
Recommend this product?
One of these GE Spacemaker microwaves came with the house I bought 2 years ago, as one of the "new appliances" featured with the kitchen remodeling job they did.
As another reviewer said, the keypad is pretty nice. The single keypress ability to cook an item for 1 - 6 minutes by pressing 1 2, 3 4, 5 or 6 on the keypad is really convenient, as is the one-touch "add 30 seconds" button.
I wasn't a big user of the ventilation fan (since it obviously can't vent anything outdoors anyway) -- but I ran it a couple times to clear some smoke when something on the stove burnt, and I believe it helped. The under the microwave light was handy though.
As for cooking, it did a respectable job as well. I know it did a more even and complete job of popping a bag of instant popcorn than my previous microwave, and had few complaints with anything else.
So why don't I recommend it? Last week, we went to open the door on it and heard a "zap, zap, zap" sound, saw a flash or spark, and then it smelled like something was burning inside it. Later on, we tried to use it again, just to see what would happen, and oddly - the keypad and all functions seemed to work normally except the turntable no longer rotated.
Then, I discovered if I tapped on it hard enough to vibrate it, it would immediately trip the circuit breaker in the house. So obviously a short circuit inside it someplace! I unplugged it and am throwing it away.
Looking around online, I discovered quite a few GE Spacemaker microwaves built in this time-frame had similar issues and started fires in a few cases. My parents have a VERY similar looking microwave, except made by Whirlpool, and it's over 10 years old and still working great. So given all of that, I'm avoiding GE from here on out!
Read more product reviews on Ge JVM1443 950 Watts Microwave Oven
Write a Review