GE JGP970 Stainless Steel 36 in. Gas Hobs (Gas and Electric) Reviews

GE JGP970 Stainless Steel 36 in. Gas Hobs (Gas and Electric)

$1,170.00
$1,199.00
Free Shipping Abt Electronics
$1,199.00
Free Shipping Home Depot

Careful, Hot !!

Jun 23, 2012

Pros:Hot
Safe
Sleek

Cons:none

The Bottom Line: Great cook top for the hobby or professional cook, provides fast and strong heat for perfect cooking experience.

First off, I am no new kid on the block when it comes to cooking, I have worked in a michelin star kitchen, I wasn't the executive chef, but I saw what was important to get a plate worth the amount of money that was being payed for it, to the table, and give the costumer full satisfaction. Eventhough I don't have a michelin star restaurant situated in my kitchen, or my house, I still wanted a nice Gas powered Cook top that would look really good (I got the silver version). Even though it is not industrial machine which isn't anything bad it's just smaller, it is a great cook top in my opinion that delivers a great and delicate sear to items that need to be cooked fast at a high temperature, yet can also provide excellent temperature control over a long period of time.

The Instalation - Even though I didn't do it myself, it was done for me by the great people from Lowe's I am sure that if you were to install it yourself and you had some tools handy you should be able to figure it out with the manual, but if you are buying a stove top for nearly a thousand dollars, the extra charge for installation won't make you bankrupt.

The Look - I have a rather modern house with a lot of stainless and brushed steel appliances so I decided to opt for the stainless steel version with the stainless steel rim which fits beautifully into my house. It is different for everyone, but I find the object to be rather sleed and nice to look at. You can get it in the different colours if you want to call it that, there is black, silver (Stainless Steel) and white. The design is rather elegant and easy to clean which is rather important if you are frying things or if something falls not into, but beside your pot. It is easy to clean as said which I think is a big plus.

The controls/UI - The user interface is rather easy to use, you have five buttons for the 5 burner units which can be adjusted to heat levels from 1 to 10, one being the lowest heat (simmer) and 10 being the highest (sear/boil). You can also lock the controls which is nice if you have kids and you don't want them setting your house on fire.

The Flame/Burn - This is for me a very important/ the most important part of the unit, because a gas cook top is meant for cooking it needs adequate heating. The flame is great, it gets really hot but can also be set to small which reduces overall heat, it is evenly distributed for your pot which allows for very unitary cooking so that one side of your steak isn't black while the other side is still raw. As said you can set it rom 1 being the smallest flame to 10 being the highest flame. The machine has 15,000 BTU's for you that understand BTU that's great, if you don't know what it means, it's saying that the cook top get's really hot, really fast.

Pro's of Gas - The best thing I like about gas is that when you want the heat it is there instantly and if you want it gone, it is gone instantly. With induction cook tops the stove can be hot up to like 20 minutes after you turn it off which can be hazardous to little childern and even you if you aren't paying attention. With gas on the other hand, if you put your hand into the visible flame you might want to leave the cooking to your significant other ... just a thought.

Build Quality - The quality of the build is pretty darn good, haven't had any problems with it. The bottom plate is made out of glass so dropping very heavy things onto it might not be the best idea, but I found it to be pretty solid and haven't had any fear of cracking/shattering the glass.

Just two little things ... pretty much just like every other gas cook top this model runs with natural gas ... also the things you put the pot on, not sure what it is called is washing machine washable so it is even easier to clean.

Here are just some general Specs from the GE website:

Approximate Shipping Weight 59 lb
Cabinet Width 36 in
Cutout Dimensions (Width x Depth) (In.) 33-7/8 x 19-1/8
Net Weight 54 lb
Overall Depth 21 3/16 in
Overall Height 3 3/16 in
Overall Width 36 in

The product comes with a one year manufacturer warranty in case anything should go wrong, and I have only heard good things about GE's customer support.

The General Electric JGP970 36 in. Gas Cooktop has 5 cooking elements. GE is one of the largest manufacturers of major appliances in the world, produc...

Shop for Appliances at The Home Depot. The 5-burner GE Profile 36 in. Built-In Gas Cooktop has a PowerBoil burner that delivers 15,000 BTUs for rapid ...
Home Depot
Gas On Glass Cooktop/ Sealed Cooktop Burners/ PowerBoil 15K Burner/ Precise Simmer Burner/ Continuous Grates/ Control Lock Capability/ Electronic Igni...
Abt Electronics