GLORY MIXED GREENS

Dec 11, 2011 (Updated Dec 11, 2011)

Pros:Taste, high in calcium, quick.

Cons:High in sodium.

The Bottom Line:

Delicious vegetable dish that goes with many meats: pork, lamb, beef, etc. Or, make a Hortopita!

Every once in a while I’ll pick up a 27 oz can of GLORY MIXED GREENS. I’ve tried their canned string beans but the beans seem overcooked to me. I prefer the mixed greens.

GLORY MIXED GREENS are a bit spicy but the taste is delicious! Glory also has lowered sodium products but I haven’t seen them in my grocery store as yet. The only problem with their mixed greens is that they are high in sodium.

If you’re wondering what to serve with GLORY MIXED GREENS, I’d say a good start would be mashed potatoes, corn bread, and a broiled pork chop. This is southern food! I know I usually talk about Italian food, but I have been known to try and enjoy other ethnic foods.

In fact, GLORY MIXED GREENS would be great for a Hortopita dish which is a Greek dish made with greens, feta cheese, and corn meal. It can also be made with phylo dough which you can buy at your supermarket in the frozen food section. Here is a link for a good recipe: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/greens-and-cheese-pie-hortopita-10000000226582/

GLORY MIXED GREENS contains Kale and Kale is one of the best, if not THE best vegetables for you. It is high in Calcium.

I have tried cooking fresh Kale several ways and it is a tough, fibrous vegetable. I do like it baked but it is a lot of fuss. It comes out of the oven tasting like potato chips and is eaten in two minutes so you have to prepare a lot! Plus, you have to watch it very carefully so as not to let it burn and then the leaves tend not to come out evenly baked. It just isn’t worth the time and trouble.

Boiling Kale has never been satisfactory to me. This is why I reach for a can of GLORY MIXED GREENS – they’re tender and tasty and quick! The other greens in the mix are Turnip and Mustard Greens. These are also good for you but because of their distinct taste, I tend not to cook these fresh greens myself.

Nutrition Facts
Vitamin C: 30%
Calcium: 6%
Iron: 2%

Ingredients
Turnip, Mustard, and Kale greens, water, salt, hydrolyzed  soy protein, (with carmel color), dehydrated onion, flavor (port broth, yeast extract), disodium inosinate and guanylate, dehydrated red pepper, spices, bacon fat, sodium diacetate for vinegar.  Flavor, hickory smoke flavor, spice extractives, garlic powder.  Contains: soybean products.

Glory makes a wide variety of products. Visit their website for recipes and products. They also have a product locator so you can see if their products sell near you.

Visit: http://www.gloryfoods.com/